Dazza
Years ago

ABL ins and outs

Considering a lot of teams are having trial games, people should have more of an idea as to who will be playing and where.
From what i've heard...
Norwood have lost Cooper and haven't picked up anyone else.
Forestville have lost Oakley and from what i've heard Scott Arnold is yet to committ to the season. Their budget has been cut since last season's "issues", so I also doubt we will see Pero returning for his mid season games.
North have lost both Zorich and Reardon and haven't picked up anyone else.
Sturt have been the big winners this year picking up Jacob Holmes and Darren Ng as well as getting Marcus Ng back at some stage during the season.
South have lost Mark Fuller to the big wide world and have picked up Paul Smith and Matt Davies with no other losses or gains.
West have gained Ryan Kersten and Blake Truslove and haven't really lost anyone at this stage.
Woodville have been very quiet of late and are going to rely very heavily on Cameron Wilson again this season.
Southern have lost Paul Smith and Matt Davies to South, Ryan Franceschinis to the left hand store and Dan Lalic for the season but have picked up John Morris from Warnambool, and American who can give you 20 points and 10 rebounds.
Centrals have lost Andrew Puddifoot, Paul Vandenbergh and Zane Reeves but have picked up Toby Lightheart, David Humphries and a couple of other new faces.
Eastern have lost Jye Watson but picked up Brad Hill, although we are still yet to see Modra suit up.
Feel free to add to this or correct me if i'm wrong.
Sorry I don't know much about the girls.

Topic #19229 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

And Predictions for the crown?

Reply #227718 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'll get the ball rolling to get discussion started ... I'm sure I am wrong, so let me hear it

GF (Men): Sturty Sixers over Southern
GF (Women): North over Norwood Lightning Flames

Table: (Men)
1. Sturty Sixers
2. North
3. Southern
4. West
5. Forestville
6. Norwood
7. Centrals
8. South
9. Woodville
10. Mavs

Reply #227720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard the norwood lightning are going to be without foley for the season due to travel and an operation? any truth behind this. I dont think they'll even make the GF without her

Reply #227723 | Report this post

Dazza  
Years ago

Come on Jack, you've got to be kidding yourself mate. The two grand finalists both out of the four! I know Cooper was handy but I don't think Forestville losing Oakley and Norwood Cooper will hurt either of them that much.
I also don't think adding a young import to an already erratic young group at Southern will puch them to the GF. I would be willing to bet some big dollars on that one if you're interested???
My guess would be...

Forestville
Norwood
Sturt (only because Jacob will miss the first 6 games)and play 4 of their first 6 games away)
West
South
North
Southern
Eastern
Centrals
Woodville

Reply #227724 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just throwing out the hook Dazza to see what I can reel in

I don't know what it is about South, Woodville and Mavs, but I can't seem to get fired up about them.

Forestville probably 3rd. I do think Hoban will be the key to that team. The time with the Sixers this year will see him as a deeper, well rounded player.

North without Zorich and Reardon are still pretty deep so they will be right up there. Top 4 for them. The Burdman is a freak so if he fires up in the tin shed - watch out!

Southern with the import will win matches, but one man does not make a team. They will win the big matches, so all they need to do is get into the finals and watch out.

I reckon Centrals will be the smokey for the season. There are some juniors in the team with nothing to lose and all to prove. They will upset teams who go in too confidently against them. They were unlucky last season and were the team with the most losses within 5 points. If they work on winning pressure games, then they will make the finals.

I know Norwood were in the GF last year and thanks to "Lloyd", every junior in SA now thinks they have a chance in the back court with 2 secs on the clock, but from what I saw last year they were strong defensively (Cooper), but lacked offensive power. If you take away their main defensive weapon they must ensure their offense is up with a team like North's to be a real threat. I think that although Coops gets back for his offense, he does too many things off play and around the key and will be sorely missed.

West are a team who will flourish under Brad Davidson. I would expect them to take the crown of the best defensive team in the league this season and can imagine Brad giving them plenty of pre-season fitness work at the Port. Gotta love those Semaphore sandunes!
Rhino needs to step up and dominate in that team if he is serious about playing NBL. With Brad as a mentor he will be a much better player come September.
West around 4th IMO.

Sturt with Jacob and the Ninja will be hard to stop. If they aren't in the GF then I will be suprised.

Reply #227731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many people righting eatern off too early. surely not bottom for mavs with hilly.

top 5 possible?

Reply #227743 | Report this post

Henley Alumni  
Years ago

That same West team finished 4th two years ago without Kersten. On paper they should seriously challenge for the title. If they don't finish in the top 3 then they have gone backwards IMO. The turnover of coaches hasn't helped and neither did last year's injuries - but their young guys have a couple more years of experience now and need to step up.

Reply #227751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any positive coaching changes anywhere???

Reply #227757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure about you guys and gals, but I'm looking forward for this season to get under way. It feels like it's been forever since the last year's ABL season finished with that miraculous GF.

It seems like there will be a pretty even spread across the teams, with some teams losing players, and others gaining. To me it looks more of an even playing field. Adding more interest personally this year is going to be the addition of Jacob Holmes, Darren Ng and Brad Hill, Blake Truslove, Justin Halleran (Canadian import), John Morris (US import) to the league. (all bar John Morris having previously played in the Central ABL).

I'm excited!

Also I see Dougie Mac-T is looking to go another round; is this the same for Corey Ottey too??

Reply #227760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kris Davis is out for the season at West, leaving Adelaide.

Reply #227761 | Report this post

mj  
Years ago

Who's Kris Davis? Obviously no-one of real importance to them.

Reply #227763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect West's technical foul numbers to drop then!

Reply #227782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard: Hammond has retired from Centrals leaving
them with Ben Todd at Forward.

Reply #227816 | Report this post

lion tamer  
Years ago

expect to see big Daniel Carlin playing a few minutes to cover jarrod hammond.

squad of 18 down at the Lions with 16 of them current or former Centrals juniors.

Knew scotty loved the home grown.

Reply #227827 | Report this post

You are what's wrong with this forum, anonymous hatred.

This is why basketball will never be popular, too much jealousy

Reply #227839 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

No cuts at Forestville , just strong marketing of the game .Get on their new web site and look at the promotion of the game .
Juniors everywhere , local talent on show and over 350 people each week expected to turn out to games .
We have local talent like Sutton , Hoban , Wise Harvey, Sully to burn in Men's , plus Kermond Bow (x 2) ,Minear, Duncan and Fergus in Women's , so it looks like a great local program .
Get out a see what they have to offer, including good evening meals , Mascot of the day , full bar and canteen facilities .
You may even see some old faces during the year at one of the "themed" nights" during the home games.
All looking good at Eagles Nest

Reply #227857 | Report this post

qwe  
Years ago

Cant see any team having a match to guard Darren and Jacob at Sturt.

Some juniors looking for increase minutes or debut this year around the league.

C Matt Dubrich (South)
PG Rhys Elliott (North)
SG Matt Lycett (North)
PG Tom Daly (Sturt)
C Daniel Carlin (Centrals)
PF Jan Warbout (Sturt)
PG Corey Maynard (Sturt)
PF Keegan Brooksby (Sturt)
SG Josh Bond (West)
SG David Humphries (Centrals)
SF Claybryn McMath (Sturt)
SF Kurtis Phillips (Played large minutes West last year)
PG Daniel Lean (Eastern)
PG Adam Doyle (Forestville)
SG James Boonstoppel (Forestville)
PG Rhys Turner (Forestville)
PG Harri Harvey (Forestville Increased minutes this year)
SG/SF Ben Howell (Norwood)
SG - Michael Florence (Southern)

Reply #227876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No cuts at forestville??? Tell that to the Mens and womens team, they might disagree. Had to do fundraising just to go on their pre season trip to Millicent

Reply #227883 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Starting Fives for ABL in my opinion:

Sturt
PG - Nathan Vaughn
SG - Darren Ng
SF - Jacob Holmes
PF - Todd Gower
C - David Bowley

Forestville
PG - Brad Sullivan
SG - Brad Gerlach
SF - Matt Sutton
PF - Doug Macdonald-Taylor
C - Peter Hoban

Norwood
PG - Todd Matthews
SG - Andrew Webber
SF - Sam Grantham
PF - Dan Thompson
C - Keith Krause

South
PG - Lucas Smith
SG - Justin Halleran
SF - Luke Frost
PF - Tom McKenzie
C - Steve Pilkington

North
PG - Erik Burdon
SG - Tom Rowe
SF - Leif Burdon
PF - Dallas Quigley
C - Nick Hambour

Southern
PG - Tristan Braithwaite
SG - Michael Florance
SF - Brandon Brine
PF - John Morris
C - Brad Bungey

Centrals
PG - ??
SG - Matthew Atkinson
SF - Lachlan Parker
PF - ??
C - Daniel Carlin

Woodville
PG - Cameron Wilson
SG - Gary Birmingham
SF - Ben McKay
PF - ??
C - ??

West
PG - Ryan Kerston
SG - Anthony Spadavecchia
SF - Danny Phillips
PF - Chris Molitor
C - Blake Truslove

Eastern
PG - Brad Hill
SG - ??
SF - ??
PF - ??
C - Shane Brehney

Reply #227888 | Report this post

Basket 84  
Years ago

227883 - those poor didums.
How dare their juniors no longer prop them up!

Reply #227890 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't Forestville start:

PG - Brad Sullivan Matt Sutton
SG - Brad Gerlach Brad Sullivan
SF - Matt Sutton Brad Gerlach
PF - Doug Macdonald-Taylor
C - Peter Hoban

?

Reply #227891 | Report this post

Space girl  
Years ago

Rockets have the team in the girls to win easily, hill all season, plus all last years team back.

Title favs

Reply #227904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes thats correct Issaac. Sutton will carry the ball you would have to assume.
Lucas Smith will not be starting for South. Not straight away. Kosmider will be their point man.
Boal and Goodenough will start at tiger land. Brine and Braithwaite off the bench. Florance is a small forward.
Danny Phillips won't start at West...if he does play he will struggle to get minutes. His brother or Craddock will start...or they go with Crothers and push Molitor to the 3 spot!
Is Carlin at Centrlas that tall skinny kid with curley hair...if so Centrals are better off going with 5 smalls cos this kid is terrible. Think Parker is going to have to play centre all year. They will finish bottom!!!!! Clarke will start at point.
Paget should start ahead of Bowley and Gower at Sturt. Bauer should start also. And i think Daly will get the nod ahead of Vaughn....close call. I would start Daly, Ng, Bauer, Holmes, Paget! When Marcus is up and running maybe get him in for Bauer?!?
Goodchild and Knight will be the starting bigs for Woodville. White may start ahead of McKay?
Dearman will start at Eastern. Then the other 2 spots will go to 2 out of Smith, Stuart Breheny, Myles, Cronin and Younie. Wats Modra doing? Still think they may struggle even with Hill!
Mapunda may get to start ahead of Quigley at North...depending wat York is going for!

Reply #227908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon 857,

Wasn't Sully a North Junior or you taking poetic license with using "local talent" comment??

Reply #227909 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that Paget is playing this year? And Ng might start at PG?

Reply #227914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

227908 , the kid you are talking about from CEntrals is Bolton. Carlin is a mountain.

Reply #227917 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

What's up with Paget this season Isaac? My guess is they will start..
Daly
Ng
Gower (until Jacob returns from holidays)
Paget (if playing)
Bowley

If Paget is not playing they may play Claybrin if he's going to be around.

My other tip is I think Campbell will start ahead of Sullivan this season.

West will start
Kerston
Kurtis Phillips
Molitor
Crusher
Blake

Kosmider will start before Smith, Younie will probably get a starting gig at Eastern and Jacob Templeton will start for Centrals along with Lightheart and Humphries. And that big bloke with the curly hair if it was the same bloke, has come along in leaps and bounds if it is the same guy I saw a couple of weeks ago playing.

Reply #227924 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought I heard that Paget was going OS? Can't remember and might be wrong.

Reply #227925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kersten will be a bonus for the opposition if you go by his turnovers in the 36ers. Would also be good for oppositions if Darren Ng was pg especially if he does his midcourt backturns. Thought Gower was getting past his use by date??

Reply #227926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shud be an exciting season!!
id have to say forestville would be a dark horse!

Reply #227967 | Report this post

P  
Years ago

or Gerlach, home grown... haha

Reply #227970 | Report this post

Cat 20  
Years ago

Mens standings

Sturt
Forestville
Norwood
West
North
Eastern
South
Southern
Centrals
Woodville

West will have to play with 3 smalls all year as they only have Blake, Crusher and Molitor as there bigs now that Davis is gone. If Forestville are small they will go back to running the whole game and scoring 120 each night. Sturt will get 55 each game out of Ng and Holmes, maybe 75 if you add Marcus. Norwood will still be good, they did win it last year. The Cam Wilsons will finish bottom unless they can beat Centrals twice. Dont be surprised if the Mavs are close to a finals spot come end of the season.

Reply #228045 | Report this post

nbl mngr  
Years ago

cat 20

lookin at your standings i can tell that you really dont know too much about basketball. and ng and holmes getting 25 a peice.lol, is that a joke. holmes will do great game in and game out. ng is a very hot and great shooter, but that is about all he can do. i seen him play in past years and even the games where he had many points it was because some one else created his shot for him. his ball handling is below average and he has wickedly slow feet. if a guy plays defense on him than he will struggle because he is not strong and does not like contact at all. with the ball in his hand he can not score one on one because he is just simply not a play maker. now if he gets good plays called for him than he can be effective.

Reply #228060 | Report this post

Wayville 17  
Years ago

yea that is true mate. i actually played against him a few times where he had very below average games. he starts to whing if you play physical against him.

Reply #228061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stick to one alias please nbl mngr/Wayville 17.

Reply #228066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha what a tool. I know it is a forum but having a conversation with yourself?

Reply #228080 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

Ha ha ha...gold!
You know your full of sh*t when you have to support your own arguement!

Reply #228081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are any of the SA College players coming back to play this year in mens or womens?

Reply #228083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be an interesting season, with foley out Norwood may struggle, but word is Romeo is coming back and they will have Rebbeca duke coming in.

North look favourites now, with a strong overall squad, but by no means are they unbeatable.

Sturt are always up there

Forrestville are the dark horses, if the young players stand up they may have a shot at getting into the late finals round, but i dont think many will be able to cope as a starter.

Southern fighting everyone else for fifth.

I think it will end
North
Norwood
Forestville
Sturt
Southern
The others

Reply #228155 | Report this post

the others being:

Centrals
Woodville
South
Eastern
West

Do you really think that West with Woosnam, Pawlowski and Martin (not to mention Jenner, Coleman and Holland) wont make a run at the finals in the women?

Reply #228164 | Report this post

les' girls  
Years ago

I agree west will be a great team on paper.

They will make a big run for the finals.

South could be ok too, Cooper, peddle, Truslove, Dunsmore etc.

could be a very tight top 5.

Who is coaching Sturt girls now Ric castle has left the building?

Reply #228223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot west, think probably fighting with Southern for 5th.

The first 3 weeks will shape what will happen. Some big games

Reply #228224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern? You have to be kidding. They hav nobody.

Reply #228229 | Report this post

les' girls  
Years ago

have you seen them play?
they at least play tough each game and give it the best.

I think you underestimate them.

They will push all the top teams imo

Reply #228237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing tough and giving their best does not mean wins. They won't be close to the top 6 teams.

Reply #228243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have said that for the last few seasons and everytime they have pushed all the teams. They play with grit and determination every match.

That alone makes up for the lesser top class players

Reply #228305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pushing teams with Tracey Beatty and Leah Cannon in the roster is a very different situation.

Reply #228321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is foley not playing at norwood?

Reply #228330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is for the first 2 games, and then going overseas. Supposibly having an op after she gets back.

Reply #228380 | Report this post

Years ago

No Cooper at south women this year!! But still a strong group.

Reply #228542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think the women's league will be as strong this year. Going form what has been said they have lost camino, francis and foley and not gained anyone. And romeo from norwood aswell. Has the league gained any big names?

Reply #228544 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

Womens left at tiger land who do they have and who's gone?

Reply #228546 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

Rumour has it that Centrals have a candian import coming into their line up, will he be here for game one? Someone by the name of Prince?

Reply #228708 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I have heard whisper that as well. The game this weekend against the Southern Tigers could be the clash of the imports.

Could be match of the round up there at Gawler

Reply #228711 | Report this post

Dazza  
Years ago

His name is Oliver Prince and played at Florida A&M Rattlers Division 1 college. He averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds last year as a 6'6 forward.
Should be a handy pick up for them...

Reply #228748 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good recon Dazza,
sounds like he is a handy player and with a nickname like Ox sounds pretty strong around the boards.

I was expecting Norwood/Eagles to be MOTR, but now match of the round would be the Morris/Prince head to head.

Reply #228754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West girls will finsih bottom five not much there at all junior in the squad are pretty ordinary players

Reply #228841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know where live stats are being shown for the aba this season the sporting pulse website gives last years grand finals.

Reply #228842 | Report this post

ballin  
Years ago

is Nolan coming back to tigerland?

Reply #229239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if by tigerland you mean eastern then yes

Reply #229285 | Report this post

Years ago

Nolan will need to cleared to play for eastern. Considering time frame they get back then for the clearance to go through. That maybe a tough call. As to get enough games in to qualify for finals. Which is still the rule isn't it? The as i understand is if there's not enough games for a player to qualify for finals. They cant be registered. I don't know if I'm right but that is how i thought it went?
But hope all works out for her.

Reply #229407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754