Anonymous
Years ago

Locked: Country State Team Announcement

Just wondering why the Country State Teams haven't been announced yet as I understand the team names had to be sent to B A by the 3rd of March? No gripe just curious.

Topic #19233 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am led to believe that the teams will be named after their boot camp on the Yorke Peninsula. Still that over a week & a half away?

Reply #227922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange decision seeing the teams picked if that's the case. Does anyone know why?

Reply #227923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm fairly sure the final team wont be named till after the camp. Their squad of 15 is on the Country website.

Reply #227929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro were named last Saturday and its not like country to be so slow off the mark especially as they had to name the team for B A. I might be wrong but what's the point of delaying announcing a team that's already selected?

Reply #227931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It hasnt been selected

Reply #227935 | Report this post

Years ago

Just because you have to have the team into BA by a date means nothing.
A team can be changed up to 30 mins before the first game if necessary.

Reply #228009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

666 They are talking team list, not starting 5.

Reply #228024 | Report this post

Just Interested  
Years ago

If Metro Team/s announced why is it not on the BSA Web site?

Reply #228088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was selected and announced to the players last Saturday. All state teams supposedly had to send a team list to BA last week naming their list so the query is what reason do country have for not announcing it to the players?
As to why it's not on the web site - ask them but at least the players know whereas country players must be wondering just what's going on.

Reply #228098 | Report this post

Owned  
Years ago

Any big surprises? Yup sure is. Check it out here

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4538-0-0-0&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=8619644

Huge omission, H U G E !!!!!

Reply #229160 | Report this post

Camel  
Years ago

Bigger suprise is the kid that made it. Funny how having dad as the coach helps.

Reply #229167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

country wouldnt have a coach and allow them to pick sons or daughters

Reply #229228 | Report this post

JC  
Years ago

That kid was a massive surprise! Its amazing he's in you know cos as a big kid he doesnt dominate in points or rebounds, lucky to score 8 pts a game at local competition thats not good enough. Point guards out rebound him.....

Reply #229233 | Report this post

Minn  
Years ago

how can they appoint a coach who has a child in the same age group?

even if that kid was the best player in the world it would cause massive problems - perceived nepotism is almost as toxic as the real thing!

madness

Reply #229261 | Report this post

Pulteney 27  
Years ago

That's why there's asst. coaches, DO & Country Development/High Performance Manager who all have a say in the team.

Reply #229267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

owned - who?

IMO it looks to be around the mark.

Reply #229268 | Report this post

Owned  
Years ago

Talking U18 Girls; sorry you are gonna have to work that one out as I am not going to mention an U18 player. If you know anything about the age group at all then you will realize there is a huge omission.

Reply #229302 | Report this post

whatthe  
Years ago

Shame SA Country Shame!!!!

Reply #229370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon, basketball is a family affair so lay off SA country and open your eyes to every level of the sport in Australia.
You're going to have to wait until basketball grows up for a professional approach.Until then in such a small, small sport all manner of the unusual are the norm.

Reply #229374 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry but boy omissions is far greater than girls

Reply #229558 | Report this post

Camel  
Years ago

But the reason for the girl ommission is far worse.

Cutting that kid,aftter telling her she is in the team, because she couldnt get on a bus at 11.30 at night and drive 3 hours, have 4 hours sleep and then making them train a whole camp after the team is already selected is rediculous.

Reply #229569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly she wasn't from a favoured region and in the right recruiting zone.

Reply #229627 | Report this post

pissed  
Years ago

Clearly she's not tall enough, JB has a fixation on height. Ability Speed and Ball handling dont exist in his little world, you can be the biggest slowest kid that cant finish a training session and still get selected.

Reply #229678 | Report this post

Edinburgh 81  
Years ago

If by "JB" you mean "any halfway decent basketball coach with an undersized squad".

A problem you parents have is that week-in week-out you watch your kid compete against people in SA. While your son/daughter may be average height or even tall at your country assoc. and/or district, playing nationals is a whole different kettle of fish.

Any coach who's been or even seen a nationals will tell you that there are some kids there who's skills/speed/agility really shouldn't allow them to be there. But those skill sets won't help you grab boards, deflect or change shots, or shoot over a defender's hand, so the fact of the matter is, your average sized kid misses out.

It's the nature of the game.

All you people with gripes, i'd encourage you (and your kids) to head out to Starplex next month and catch a few games of nationals, doesn't even have to be SA teams. You'll soon understand how big the step up from our district comp to the nationals level is, and may give you some insight into the difficult decisions the coaches have to make in selecting a team that is going to be able to compete at nationals.

Reply #229681 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

scoring and rebounding would help too...

Reply #229690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmmm,

so why do all these small people play - even into NBA. perhaps some coaches can structure a team around skills - pace, good shot - then get that person free.

Reply #229693 | Report this post

Owned  
Years ago

"Sorry but boy omissions is far greater than girls"

Nah, I don't agree anon. Girl omission is a big name & been to the AIS.

But, rules are rules...I guess. Who is the non selection going to hurt? Probably the team come Nationals.

Reply #229699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Edinburgh 81,
I think if there were clearly defined criteria for selections instead of the 'airy fairy' potential crap from which basketball selections derive their claims of nepotism everyone would be better off.
Year in, year out, players who have performed at the district level are overlooked for players who are earmarked under the heading 'potential'.
Too many favours are repaid in selections and basketball has the least transparent selection process of al the sports.
The selectors are always right because selections are subjective.
The nonsense about late development and height over skill and ability is simply a smokescreen

Reply #229701 | Report this post

Edinburgh 81  
Years ago

229701 - propose some 'clearly defined criteria' as an example of how you see the selection process to work.

The 10 players with the highest point scoring average in the district comp?
The 10 players with the most MVP votes across all country associations?
Should we design an obstacle course like in the NBA skills challenge and the four best times get to be our guards?
Should we select the two best players with the highest jumping reach as our centres?

You are clutching at straws - there is no way the process can be more 'defined'. There is Albury, training sessions and the camp at 'yorks all structured situations designed to give the coaches the best look at these players. This is on top of what they know of the players from prior years, and what they see at district/country champs etc.

Year in, year out, players who have performed at the district level are overlooked for players who are earmarked under the heading 'potential'.

Performing at district is not a ticket to nationals. As i said earlier, you should head out to Starplex and see how the level of competition changes. That may help open your eyes up to what you see each week (district) and the requirements to compete at a nationals (you've called it potential, but it's really more than that.)

Reply #229704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is the only sport in Australia where performance is not the criteria

Reply #229712 | Report this post

Dogga  
Years ago

The problem is that the teams had been selected before Yorks. If it was a selection camp, then who do 2 injured players and 1 player who did not attend make the team?

Plus one of the kids who was cut, was told she would be cut because she wouldn't get on the bus at 11.30 pm at night and drive for 3 hours and sleep for 3/4 hours before training all day. And she is getting over a blood clot to the brain.

The problem is that the coach and director of coaching hadn't even bothered to communicate. ! told the kids she was in the team and didn't mneed to do the camp so she organised other activities in her recovery process, while the other called her 2 day before and told her she would be cut if she did get on the bus and risk her health.

Reply #229714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dooga, if getting on a bus to go to a training camp is a risk to her health, then why would they select her as it would seem to me her health is not stable and she would therefore be a risk if selected! If she cant travel to a training camp, how is it better for her health to particiapte in high level physicial activities such as nationals!

Sounds to me like the girl decided not to attend camp thinking she would get selected - then didnt get selected and is now crying wolf - probably more driven by her parents (who i might add dont do any favours to their kids by getting so involved in their kids lives and interfering at every oppurtunity)

Sour grapes is all i can see as per usual.

Who in the team doesnt deserve their spot to make way for this particular girl??

Reply #229717 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No idea what age group this is all about, but if it's U18, no names or references please.

No one is going to win this argument. Can't pick without subjective criteria (such as educated guesses at potential) and can't make subjective picks without disputes.

Reply #229743 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

From an outsiders perspective (not in SA) but was at Albury and have a daughter in the age group, I'd have to say that if any player omitted from the SA Country 18's was up to Nationals standard, they'd have been included because the results at Albury didn't project to outstanding results in Gawler for the SA Country group (the 16's however, are looking very good).

If they're not in, there's a good reason (though perhaps not for everybody)!

Reply #229788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dogga you are spot on, Edinburgh 81 you have no idea, How can a so called junior development officer in charge of SA Country not bother to attend friday nights games when most of his country players go head to head in real competion, I will tell you why because he thinks he is smarter then everybody else, In the last game for placings of the U16 Boys nationals in Perth he did not even bother to leave the bar, thats commitment for you, and its about time the coaches actually had a say in who is selected, if he had bothered to watch the girl in question play over the last 2 weeks, he could not afford to not have her in the side. SAC will not improve whilst he is in charge. Bring back DK

Reply #229880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

880, then you'd lose your AIS ticket if you did that.

Reply #229887 | Report this post

Dogga  
Years ago

anon #229717,

Considering that at Natonals players will not e made to travel at 11.30pm at night and train or play on 3 hours sleep, I doubt that it has any real realationsip with her participation at a National championships.

It only has the potential to cause a setback in her recovery and development process.

If the coaching directot had even bothered to discuss the athlete's onging rehab and development process, they might have know. And considering the coach had already discussed it and given the OK to not go on the bus and to manage their involvment, the athlete had organised her training schedule around the camp.

Secondly, the athlete offered to travel in the morning to the camp, nut was told that she was cut if she didn't get on the bus with the other girls.

Finally, I love that you wput how the kid is being singled out for treatment because of her parent. This shows how country teams are selected to a tee. Not on ability, but on political basis. If you kiss arse or coach a team, you kid has more chance of making the team.

I would select the kid over all bar 2 other players selected. She is one of only 2 player to attend multiple Australian camps. So maybe they know something you don't.

Reply #229932 | Report this post

Edinburgh 81  
Years ago

Dogga & 229880 - do you understand the injury/condition this player has had?

If i were coaching, i wouldn't have even put her in the squad on the injury alone. It would simply give false hope. The nature, seriousness, impact of that injury/condition is far more serious than a game of basketball in the first place.

Putting that aside, the time away from the game & seriousness cannot be undone over "the last 2 weeks".

If she wasn't comfortable/confident/happy to sit on a bus for 3 hours, then why pick her for a gruelling week long tournament?

Sitting on a bus for 3 hrs, regardless of the time is far less strenuous than a nationals. (please try to argue that point!)

Have a think about what you are saying before re-posting!

Reply #229935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dooga, i never said that this girl wasnt good enough to get selected, nor do i even know the girl or in fact any of the girls in that team. My point is that going by what has been said and then condition she has then if i was the coach i would think it would be a risky choice to pick someone with such a condition. And if she did get selected it would judt be someone else who misses out and then we would be hearing about how unfair it is for that person to miss out when others get selected even though they have medical conditions and dont attend training camps.

I cant see how a bus ride, is more of a risk then paying high level, physical, competetive basketball for a week!!

As posted in the above post this girl (and her parents)should be more worried about her health, than complaining about not getting selected, as stated if travelling on a bus for 3 hours is a risk to her health then she obviously still has some risk factors there.

Finally i did not point out that this kid was getting treated any different beacuse of her parents, i simply said that her parents (and parents in general) do not do their kids any favours by getting so involved and interfering in their kids sporting activities. I know far too mnay parents who believe their kid is the best player in the area and set their kid up for failure because they continue to drill into their heads that they are the best and if they dont get selected they will complain, get stuck in, go to higher levels etc - this just shows the kids that in the future whenever they dont get what they want then to act in the same way. So if one of thee kids applies for a job that they think they are the best person for and they dont get it - what are they going to do, complain, take it up higher, bad mouth the company etc!!

And also, all of this bitching about what coaches/selectors do wrong and the personal attacks on coaches are seriously not called for - these coaches give up an extremely huge amount of their time - particular weekends to coach these kids, they dont get paid for it - and what do they get in return....complaints, bitching and whinging. If parents continue to behave like this everytime their kid doesnt get selected you will end up having no one to coach your kids as no one would want to put their hand up and volunteer to put up with that crap!

Reply #229940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is getting too specific when it comes to individual cases and will now be locked. Take it up with more official channels if you have a dispute.

Reply #229944 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754