Moose
Years ago

NBL Finals media coverage in Melb

Arrived back in Sydney yesterday after 2 weeks away out of the country.
First thing I did in the Airport was to buy the Saturday Herald Sun (a Melbourne Paper) to catch up on the Finals series.
In spite of a large liftout Sports section, there was not a word about the finals. So much for NBL coverage when a series between 2 Melb teams does not rate a mention.
Thank goodness we have Boti.

Topic #19263 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Nbl is a dying instituition RIGHT NOW, im not surprised for the lack of coverage, but my real concern is how will the coverage be this time next finals series!

Reply #228166 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

I was in Melbourne last week and left the afternoon of Game 1. I thought the coverage in the days leading up to the finals was good. There were double page articles in Tuesday and Wednesdays paper, including breakdowns of the coaches, each player, certain matchups and so on.

Its the problem of a 5 game series in my mind. Its hard enough to get the public's attention to basketball, its got to be harder still to keep it for 5 games. The series should go back to 3 games.

But anyway, yeah, I thought the coverage before the finals started was pretty good in Melbourne.

Reply #228167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

finals should be best of 7, semis best of 5............series are the best.......

Reply #228203 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Moose - you probably got the early edition of the Herald Sun (which is usually what is shipped out interstate). Considering game 2 was on Friday night I would say there wouldnt have been much in Saturdays paper at all bar a quick recap in the regular edition.

The coverage has been VERY good in Melbourne in the papers, on the tv and on most radio stations (some of which wouldnt have even known what basketball was three weeks ago.)

Reply #228230 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It's been decent and way better than during the season. In fact the argy-bargy from last night made the back page today.

Reply #228238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Media coverage has been great for Melbourne's standards. Last Wednesday the front page of The Age sport section was a photo of Wortho and Anstey with the headline "The rivalry that saved basketball." Inside was a double page spread.

It's been on most of the TV news' each night, including 7 and ABC who have barely mentioned the NBL all season. Nine have been their usual, pathetic selves though.

The biggest joke is SEN - "Melbourne's home of sport."
Their studios are just down the road from Hisense, yet they can't even get off their arses and cover any of the games. Last night they had their usual Born In The USA (great program) with Steve Salisbury. Surely anyone interested in US sport would have listened to coverage of game 3. Plus they would get the credibility that comes with covering live sport. It's a station which should be SO much better than it actually is.

Reply #228269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754