Number 44
Years ago

New NBL - Who indicated their EOI?

Anyone know or heard which teams have filled out the Expressions of Interest details and submitted them last month?

Boti made it sound like there could be a bid away from Mal and the 6ers.

Topic #19282 | Report this topic

Beanz Meanz Heinz  
Years ago

Only 2 bids complying and both were from Melbourne

Reply #228472 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Dragons bid was conditional on a number of factors.

Reply #228474 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think NZ's might've been the only one that complied.

Would be suicide to put in a second Adelaide bid. Either you get through, put up a load of money, and then struggle to stay financial competing with the 36ers. Or you get in while the 36ers don't with a view to picking up the bits from the 36ers and you have a terrible bargaining positioning if trying to buy the trademark/IP from Groves.

Someone suggested on here the other day that Melbourne's bid was subject to exclusive use of The Cage, FWIW.

Reply #228475 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Isaac,

In regards to the two Adelaide teams, I meant bids, I don't think either would want two teams, I believe Mal's would be very weak, the only thing in his favour would be owning the 36ers brand.

The other may be a stronger one financially, obviously the two should team up or the other one purchase the name and licence from Mal?

Reply #228482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only NZ complied.

Tigers and Dragons bids are both non-complying.

Reply #228485 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

So did Adelaide/Mal put a bid in?

Reply #228487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Mal put a bid in on behalf of the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #228488 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Townsville complied!

Reply #228489 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Hawks put in a non conforming bid

Reply #228491 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

So Townsville and Newzealand to fight it out for the NBL crown next year.

Reply #228492 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

There were not 2 bids from Adelaide. From what I have heard there were 9 EOI's in total.
Adelaide
Perth
Melbourne
South Dragons
Townsville
Cairns
New Zealand
Gold Coast
Woollongong

There wasnt a Brisbane bid and i dont think there was a Sydney bid.

Reply #228497 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Not true.
BQ lodged a bid on behalf of Brisbane with Larry Sengstock.
Have not heard if Stephenson also did the same, but if he did, I'd rather Stephenson successful for it over BQ as he has better off-court know-how, however if JVG is involved still then that could turn out pearshaped on-court with the amount of players that will not play if he is involved.
As far as I'm aware, nobody has been confirmed they are definately in when you look at the extensive criteria that has nothing to do with money.
It takes a lot of time to comply with that criteria on paper, and even longer to investigate the viability of what clubs are claiming (from THEIR perspective) is compliant.
Hopefully the final result won't be much different to what's hoped for above.

Reply #228505 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

yep brisbane had a non-conforming bid - can anyone confirm that Wellington did the same?

Reply #228521 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Wellington did not lodge.
The point you are grossly missing Rod is that from application cut off date that clubs have submitted by, they still have at least 4 weeks to CONTINUE WORKING on setting up the rest of the criteria.
You are being mislead by over-anxious over-eager people if you believe that any clubs are already deemed OFFICIALLY compliant or non-compliant.

Reply #228531 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The minimum 4 week window has not passed.

Reply #228533 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'however if JVG is involved still then that could turn out pearshaped on-court with the amount of players that will not play if he is involved.'

I thought he had a good working relationship with most players?

Reply #228558 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I wish A, I really do.
I won't name names but several high profile players will never have anything to do with him again- either because they were lied to by him over their pays and other things, or dislike what he did to Joey.
In some cases, they dislike him for both reasons.

Reply #228561 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

If anything, indicatively, it shows so far, how much present NBL clubs have no freaking idea how to run a business.
The criteria has confirmed what many of us knew already about current clubs inability to provide longevity and business accumen to not only survive some tough times coming up, but to get to a point where they are actually making money, rather than just fudging figures to make it look that way. (for 2 clubs in particular)

Reply #228569 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

For the record, Brisbane's been a little more than looking- not so sure about Sydney and BQ had lodged a bid in the end as previously mentioned.
The Fox Sports deal is dependant on Syd and Bris being back in the League, so they're not keen to lose a $35mil deal if they can avoid it.
I know that the NBL met with Fox Sports people about 2 weeks ago to consider worst case scenario with what deal Fox would renegotiate if those particular two teams happen to eventually end up unsuccessful.
The outcome of that meeting was not terribly optimistic but a few weeks from now once all applicants' due diligence has been completed, they will have a better idea of exactly what Fox will offer.

Reply #228627 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

HAHA what about the league providing owners with tangible information to work on as well? So far the league has provided nothing to the potential owners but has set down a list of criteria from the owners.

If i was a potential owner i sure would like to know what i was getting involved with before putting in the hard earned and opening up my financial history to a bunch of strangers.

Reply #228628 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Absolutely- so would I.
When my contact from Brisbane spoke to Chuck on the phone a few days after the EOI Briefing, he told her that the atmosphere in the Board Room that day was quite embarassing and concerning to him for two reasons:
1. The existing clubs honestly didn't give a shit- they just wanted to push forward to get their teams set up for next season whether they even understood what was being asked of them or not;
2. The interested parties (potential clubs who don't currently have a club in the League at this moment) were made to feel intimidated by the existing clubs as though they had more of a right to be there and weren't interested in any constructive feedback or questions the newbies had.
It may very well turn out that it is in fact, the newbies that have more to offer, having watched the cowboys from the sidelines get it so wrong and have learnt from the mistakes of the big bullies.
Their biggest obstacle (which was the opposite for the existing teams) was finance- the off-court stuff which is where the biggest challenges lay in complying, where the parts the newbies understood and agreed with more than everyone else in the room.

Reply #228636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chuck is a tool and should be the first item permanently removed.

Reply #228671 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754