Anonymous
Years ago

Man, How much do you hate those Tigers

They knock the crap out of another player and then threaten legal action if they get in trouble for it.

Their owner is a rich, fat, foreigner who makes sure he ALWAYS gets his way.

They're captained by Chris Anstey, one of the most hated players around the country.

They BUY championships.

They play in a pathetically small gym meaning thousands of people cant get into the finals games, the last thing you want to do in a league struggling for crowds.

I'm an Adelaide fan but Im really hoping the dragons can shove it right up those Tigers tonight.

Topic #19286 | Report this topic

LA Boy  
Years ago

to add to that, they're also stingy and mess around with potential players. Oh yeah and have a rich tradition in politics sometimes more than playing

BTW I kind of disagree with them playing in smaller gym. Because of this they're actually making money, something that's rare to see in NBL...

Reply #228496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I spose your right LA Boy but its a massive pain come finals time, especially this year.

Forgot about them messing around with potential players. "we've signed Brad Newley and Julius Hodge".

Shut up Melbourne and play some basketball.

Reply #228499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They cover a lot of their expenses within McPeake's larger business, and surely aren't declaring true player salaries in those balance sheets. Smoke and mirrors.

I will be cheering for the Dragons as if they were my own team. McPeake with heightened powers is a cancer to the NBL. He needs to be belted back into his box as soon as possible, and have no meaningful role or influence as the new NBL is rolled out.

And yeah, Anstey is an embarrassment to himself and the Tigers fanbase, who for the most part are great and deserve far far better from their club, especially considering it's history.

Reply #228500 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

how the fuck do you go for

Reply #228502 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

who

Reply #228503 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

Yep couldnt agree more. Hate them. Hated them for years.

Reply #228504 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

When I said about mess around with players I mean promosing to sign them then don't. In many cases those guys could've gone elsewhere but DNP for the season because of the Tigers.

Well I can say their salaries definitely not what's reported but Carins' salaries are still the highest in the league!

Reply #228509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it a pain come finals time? Game 4 didn't sell out so what's the issue?

As for buying championships - Brisbane, Sydney, Cairns (not that they managed to win anything) anyone? I'd also question the dragons.

Reply #228510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but there will be plenty turned away tonight anon, dont you worry about that.

Reply #228511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bitching about the refs and threatening the opposition in the media is another one.

Reply #228513 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Tigers vs Dragons

They knock the crap out of another player and then threaten legal action if they get in trouble for it.

- The Dragons have been knocking the crap out of the Tigers all series but not getting called.

Their owner is a rich, fat, foreigner who makes sure he ALWAYS gets his way.

- One of the The Dragons owners is chairman of a company (Visy) that is accused of shady business dealings.

They're captained by Chris Anstey, one of the most hated players around the country.

- They're captained by Mark Worthington, one of the most hated players around the country.

They BUY championships.

- If the Dragons win they would have bought a championship aswell.

They play in a pathetically small gym meaning thousands of people cant get into the finals games, the last thing you want to do in a league struggling for crowds.

- The Dragons play in a gym that is too big for them and lose money as a consequence.

Reply #228514 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

What a completely grossly inappropriate thread!

The Tigers are a professional organisation with high values and integrity who value and respect their opposition, the referees, and the sport they play.

Hang on, my sincere apologies,

I thought the thread was about the Southern Tigers, not the Melbourne Tigers.........

Reply #228515 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Nutworkd your and idiot the Dragons did not hack or do anything like that to Anstey watch the game they got in front of him and basically posted him on on defense so he coulnt get the ball NOT ILLEGAL IDIOT. The tigers were the ones hacking did you see game 1 and what they got away with it was criminal, and I cant get to the game tonight of their pathetically small gym.

Reply #228517 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I might be and idiot, but at no stage did I mention the Anstey incident. If you don't think the Dragons get away with hacking all the time then I don't know what games you are watching.

Reply #228518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, most sportspeople at this level would try to get away with what they can to get an advantage. If it is an issue that is why we have refs.

Reply #228527 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I agree anon.

The Dragons foul as often as they can, they force the umpires to blow their whistles.

The refs don't want to call a foul every five seconds, so they let as much as they can go in order to keep a flow in the game.

The other coaches have to challenge the refs in the same way if they want a fair game.

It is in the umpires hands, if they call all of the fouls they see players will start to get fouled out and re-think that tactic. It is in the hands of the league (who direct the refs) and the refs themselves.

Reply #228528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever. Go Dragons! (from an ex-Kings fan)

Reply #228530 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I'm not trying to attack you but if you actually believe what your saying your a little lost.

The tigers have been consistently dirty for years now. Go back and watch game 1. The tigers got away with so much in the 1st half that it was ridiculous. I only saw game 3 live but Anstey was throwin his elbows all the time with so many cheap shots. Greer joined in as well.

In fact watch the 06 final series when the refs screwed the Sydney Kings.

The fact that the tigers are calling the dragons dirty and saying that they hack is so hypocritical.

And the fact that anyone so openly argues for an organisation that does as little as possible to promote or grow the sport in Australia and only puts money into their players to keep them winning championships shows that these type of fans shouldnt be listened to.

The tigers organisation should be ashamed of themselves for the actions the last few days.

Reply #228534 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I don't barrack for the Tigers or the Dragons, and I am not saying that Anstey is not a cheap shot artist. I am just saying that the Dragons are just as bad, actually worse, than the Tigers.

Reply #228535 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

It's crazy, just last year I was loving the Tigers in the GF, just because the Kings were about the dirtiest bastards in NBL history, now it's all switched around.

I'm not saying Melbourne are as dirty as the 07/08 Kings. I just think they're highly overrated and would like to see them brought down to Earth. Anstey's hit on Sunday has put me well-and-truly on the South side.

Reply #228540 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I don't barrack for either as well, but everyone put their own personal feelings aside for a minute and ask yourselves this:

If you weren't so into the game with a preferred team, in the Court of Public Opinion, what would you think of taking a sport seriously if you were the average Joe (who the NBL are massively trying to appeal to next season by cleaning several things up) and from ONE team solely, in the past few days,
1. A player was convicted of inappropriate behaviour on-court,
2. His coach was fined for making inappropriate comments,
3. The owner is to be dealt with in the coming weeks for also acting in a manner that brings his club and the game into disrepute, and happens to be on the Board- what do you think that says to the public about his lack of respect for his position and colleagues and chosen sport to be involved in?

Be completely honest with yourselves, and think about how that looks for a sport that is struggling at elite level.
Don't post how you'd look at it from the outside until you have really had a good hard long think about the 3 embarassing factors that have occurred with one individual club in the past week.

Reply #228541 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Call the fouls. It actually makes the game more free flowing. And, better for the spectators.
( Rather than the holding etc that's going on. Which is frustrating players and spectators )

Reply #228582 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The Tigers have embarased themselves and the league at a time when they should be showcasing their talent to the non basketball public in Australia and New Zealand. They need to pull their heads from their behinds and get on with it. I for one will be supporting the Dragons.

Reply #228606 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Tigers vs. Dragons... Anstey vs. Worthington... I don't really see how there can be a good outcome there. The prospect of either of those guys on the podium makes me feel nauseous.

I see the Dragons as the new Magic/Titans - there's no way I can drum up positive feelings towards them, despite how much of a petulant thug Anstey is. Plus, I cry every time Ingles gets the ball and I am forcibly reminded that he's not in Sixers colours.

Reply #228620 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

I'd prefer the fouls being called.
Anstey would get 6 fouls most games.
I don't like watching holding, hacking and bumping.
I think the game is better when called correctly.

Reply #228622 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Dragons just play something called tough defense that no other team in the league seem to understand. Coach Goorjian really brings in that defensive toughness like that played in US and obviously that's why he's so successful in this league.

Not to say others need to follow this same scheme of things but if they raise their own offense game to match this style of defense, it can really elevate level of basketball in this country all together.

As far as the Tigers? really not bias but I think there are more dirty plays from them, I've been to all 4 games thus far (and attending tomorrow also) the Tigers crossed the line of "playing tough" and I fully agree with the Greer thing as well. Though got to say never liked guy from day 1.

Reply #228679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754