Quagmire
Years ago

Hollinger picks ROY

Here is a recent article by ESPN's John Hollinger.

For those unfamiliar, Hollinger is responsible for the per stat amongst others and is a math nerd with a hoop passion.

Because he uses math, which doesnt take into account emotions and other non number based information, he tends to get passionate fans off-side.

He has also made a few calls that get people upset- for example he claimed D-Wades performance in the Heats championship series was the best finals performance ever....better than anything MJ did, and better than a rookie pg filling in at center...

Anyway, in this article Hollinger is naming who he feels should be rookie of the year.... i'm pretty sure you won't be able to guess.... and i'd like to hear peoples opinions after reading the whole article.

http://linky.com.au/fbln6

Topic #19311 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

If you can't be bothered reading the article-

Hollinger picks Nets rookie Brook Lopez.

Which he makes a good statistical arguement for, but really, is that all we base the ROY on?

How many coaches would now pick Lopez first if the draft was held today?

Should future projections be taken into consideration when picking the ROY, or is it purely based on the play of the one season?

Reply #228812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Managed to guess right before I clicked the link. He doesn't really explain why he's ignoring Love's solid PER in fewer MPG though? Or (I can't remember) is PER already adjusted for minutes played?

Reply #228813 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

PER is adjusted for min played. It just really fails (as all stats do) in showing the abilities of a good defender outside of blks and rebs.

And defence is still half the game so really, most player rankings based on stats are massively flawed.

Hollinger is a mad geek though. I think his systen even uses ratio's to cover the effect of playing within a teams specific system, otherwise known as the 'D'Antonio effect'

Reply #228817 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Hollinger only uses his PER ratings to rate players... he's always done that.

Reply #228875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754