Isaac
Years ago

Brian Goorjian named NBL Coach of the Year

No surprise here:

Goorjian won the award by earning 59 votes to finish ahead of Townsville coach Trevor Gleeson (49) and New Zealand's Andrej Lemanis (42).

This year's award marks the record sixth time that Goorjian has been named NBL Coach of the Year, with his nearest rival being three-time winner and the trophy's namesake, Lindsay Gaze. Goorjian has previously taken the honour in 1992, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008, and 2009. Goorjian is also the only coach to have been awarded the honour in back-to-back seasons, which he has done twice now.
2009 NBL Coach of the Year - Voting
Brian Goorjian (South) 59
Trevor Gleeson (Townsville) 49
Andrej Lemanis (New Zealand) 42
Alan Westover (Melbourne) 15
Rob Beveridge (Sydney) 6
Scott Ninnis (Adelaide) 5
Conner Henry (Perth) 2
Mark Beecroft (Cairns) 2

Topic #19328 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Who votes on this award?

Reply #228973 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

yep, fair enough there given his achievment

Reply #228974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Lindsay Gaze Trophy for NBL Coach of the Year award takes into account regular season performances only, and is voted on by head coaches, assistant coaches (one per club) and team captains (one per club) on a 3-2-1 basis. Balloters are unable to vote for members of their own club.

Reply #228976 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

So, basically, all of those people (DrB, I'm looking at you) have just been completely shot down in flames for suggesting he's only as good as his high paid players.

Because clearly, if that WAS the case, he wouldn't be getting voted to the top by his peers.

Reply #228984 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

He greatly accepted the "I can spend more than the Cap" better than anyone award.

Joking ofcourse I think

Reply #228986 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

I think Rob Beveridge did a fantastic job considering the turmoil he and his players went through. He would have got my vote for sure!

Reply #229001 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Haha guess who didn't get a vote!

Heres a joke:

Joyce + Joyce + 4 award nominations = how many votes?

NONE!!!

Hahaha classic!

Reply #229007 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Well deserved award, Xztatik I to am surprised that Joyce didn't clean up at the awards lol

Reply #229038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754