LC
Years ago

Brett Brown to be named Boomers Head Coach?

An article in today's Melbourne Herlad-Sun reports that Brett Brown is set to be named Bomers Head Caoch in place of Brian Goorjian!

Link: http://linky.com.au/q1ihh

"Just days after leading the South Dragons from the bottom of the ladder to their first NBL title, Goorjian is expected to lose the race for the Boomers job to Brett Brown, assistant coach of the NBA's San Antonio Spurs."

So whilst we generally knew it was a two-horse race, what are people's thoughts about the new coach? Personally I think the move is a good one.

Topic #19334 | Report this topic

Ando  
Years ago

I think it's a great move. We have 8 players (I think) playing overseas, so a successful NBA coach (all be it assisting) is a positive move.

Plus on past history, we tend to change the guard after 2 Olympic tours

Reply #229029 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

a great move in the right direction,hope goorj stays in the program,a lethal 1,2 punch.
great marketing tool for boomers as well,i hope b/a doesnt miss another gimme !!

Reply #229031 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Yeah this is great news if this is true. Finally we will not have goorj using his influence as aussie coach for his nbl club!

Reply #229032 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think either would've been OK so not unhappy with this (unless it means Joyce is an assistant - there has to be a reason DrB is so pro-Brown).

Reply #229034 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Hasnt he been the Boomers coach before?

Reply #229054 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

Shocking, bring back the zone as your number one defence.... Gorg you can"t go passed! If you love him or hate him he has the runs on the board.

Reply #229076 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Brett was previously an assistant to Barry Barnes.

Reply #229079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fan,

What runs on the board does Gooj have at an International Level. His style of defence does not work at that level. His lack of focus on offence is taken advantage of at International Level.

The only reason it works here is because of his reputation, his ability to recruit the best Australian players in the country and the fact his style is encouraged by the piss poor quality of NBL refereeing.

Reply #229081 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Fan,

What runs on the board does Gooj have at an International Level. His style of defence does not work at that level. His lack of focus on offence is taken advantage of at International Level.

The only reason it works here is because of his reputation, his ability to recruit the best Australian players in the country and the fact his style is encouraged by the piss poor quality of NBL refereeing.

100% correct overated who has used his national coaching role to advantage his nbl club. it will be intersting once he loses the job how he goes. i predit failure as goorj has always had loaded squads this wont happen anymore, then we will see his REAL COACHING ABILITY

Reply #229086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drb he's still Goorj and he still has the rep, deserved or not.

He still has a big spending owner behind him, whether that's on salaries or other things Cowan will spend to ensure the Dragons stay in the hunt.

Goorj will still be able to recruit the best talent as Brown won't coach in the NBL.

The NBL won't change in regards to how its refereed so Goorj's teams will continue to win through brute force.

If you think Goorj's run is going to end just because Brown is now the Boomers coach (which Goorj conceded on 5AA this evening) then you're in for a disappointing 09/10 season.

Reply #229107 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was interesting to hear Goorj on fiveaa.
He was asked to re-apply and interviewed. Then he read the subject article today.
And 10 players even minutes, with a player not spending more than 2 mins on the bench, as the style he will be going forward with.

Reply #229116 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

Drb, Tell me what International runs does Brown have? I bet your one of those people that thinks that Phil was hard done by.

Reply #229166 | Report this post

Kenny  
Years ago

Why are we resurrecting Brett Brown?? The head coaching position of a nation that always qualifies for tournaments is a prized gig. Why arent we thinking outside the box and getting a Lithuanian or a Yugoslav or an Italian with expirience who has proven results at international level to take the reigns and try something different? It sounds like Andrew Gaze is returning the favour as head of BA to Brown for the courtside season tickets he arranged for him when he had his 'stint' with the spurs in that shortened season a few years ago. We are going around in circles people...

Reply #230286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754