LC
Years ago

2009 Oceania: Aus vs NZ

The Oceania Championships have been announced between the Australian and New Zealand men's and women's teams for 2009.

The games will be played in August and September at both home and abroad.

"The world No.9 and Beijing Olympics quarter-finalist Boomers will meet the Tall Blacks at an Australian venue yet to be confirmed on August 23 before travelling to Wellington for the return two days later.

The world champion and Olympic silver medallist Opals start their series on September 2 in Canberra with the second at Porirua, north of Wellington, on September 5."

Link: http://linky.com.au/z1838

So who should be in the Boomer's line up given the timing of the games? NBA season will be over but will Bogut be healthy - I don't think Bogut will return to play this series, and Jawai will be the same. I am unsure if the Euro based players will come back to play either.

I also reckon it could boast a few more younger players from US College and locally based players considering a World Champ place is already sewn up. But it could also depend if those college players go in the NBA draft as their teams may want them for summer league.

Here would be my preliminary squad:

Andrew Bogut (NBA)
Nathan Jawai (NBA)
David Andersen (Euro)
Brad Newley (Euro)
Matt Nielsen (Euro)
Damien Ryan (Euro)
AJ Ogilvy (College)
Luke Nevill (College)
Patty Mills (College)
Aron Baynes (College)
Chris Anstey
Luke Schenscher
Alex Loughton
Matt Knight
CJ Bruton
Mark Worthington
David Barlow
Joe Ingles
Jason Smith
Shaun Redhage
Jason Harvey
Adam Gibson
Aaron Bruce

Something to start with in any case...

And please refrain from mentioning SoJ!

Topic #19336 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wonder whether Ballinger, naturalising in April and playing well in NZ , at the moment, is considered ?

Reply #229052 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bogut will not be in the squad, his commitment is only to WC's and Olympic Games..not to qualifying events

Reply #229058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we can put a healthy enuff team with some of the bigger superstars.
Not sure as to what NZ have playing abroad, but i dont think it will be of the same caliber as what we have.

If any games are in Adelaide I might try and venture down for it.

Reply #229077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754