LC
Years ago

Australian Point Guards

After thinking about the potential make up of the Boomers team for the Oceania series against NZ, I couldn;t help but be a little worries about our stocks of guards, and in particular PG's.

I have also mentioned it in previous threads that we have a distinct lack of PG's ready to back up Mills at the next World Champs pending the International retirement of CJ Bruton.

So who will be Mills' backup at the point, and who are the players we should be looking at to fill the PG spot in the next 2-8 years?

Some names that readily come to my mind:

- Adam Gibson
- Aaron Bruce
- Matt Dellavedova (AIS)
- Nate Tomlinson (Colordado, NCAA Div I)

Any others I am missing? Any thoughts and suggestions?

Topic #19338 | Report this topic

Hoops 40  
Years ago

Jordan Page - more of a SG, but could be developed (i think he's at the 'tute).

What happened to Cameron Gliddon (correct name?) the WA Country guard from a few years back, is he at college somewhere?

Reply #229056 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Page is likely to play guard for Austraklia in the future, but I don't reckon he will end up being a PG.

Gliddon plays NJAA in the states for Concordia University Irvine. This is at a level below Div II.

Reply #229059 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Make that NAIA not NJAA.

Reply #229060 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Page and Dellavedova are both heading to St. Marys next season, so once they return their game will be highly elevated. I am really starting to like Gibson's game--He is such a great defender and a great 3-pointer shooter..There's so many to chose from. But Page will be a SG. He has a deadly shot, its amazing!

Reply #229097 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I don't know much about the college boys but unfortunately I'd say Gibson is ahead of Brucie after 08/09. Still a sppot for Bruce.

Reply #229105 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

IMO I don't think SG turn PG would work out on world stage because you need a wizard ballhandler to just get the ball across. Think about Barlow in PG, really no difference.

I would be interesting to wait and see the next PG for 2012? Perhaps an import will become Aussie? *hint-hint*

I actually had a discussion with some of my ball kids about this. Aussie dev coaches need to change their style of coaching and allow kids (especially PGs) to develop more leadership skills and have them focus on ballhandling skills rather than just shooting non-stop. I believe that's why after CJ (who's an American) there's this worry. And oh yeah, Mills' game wasn't quite like this before he was at St Mary's either

Reply #229141 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

LA you are bit off. CJ was born here and as such is an Australian. Mills was a gun well before he went to St Mary's.
As for the rest I think Gibsons shooting has improved enough to suggest he will be the next one in line. Gorj and Wright are both massive fans.

Reply #229149 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

CJ still American (he would've learnt the American system of ball from his dad anyway), Pat was not as much a penetrater back then. I can still remember seeing one of the games back then he took more outside jumpers, when he did penetrate he fumbled many times and he was less vocal. He's a much better player now.

You name me one pure Aussie who has the handle of CJ (no disrespect here but just a fact that the teaching approach here needs a change)

Reply #229153 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I kinda agree with LA boy with regards to the teaching points by Aussies coaches in relation to PG's. There is a mentality to ensure our PG's can score from range instead of encouraging them to penetrate and distribute first and then work on the outside shot.

However I saw Mills play when he was at the AIS and ghe was just as good penetrating as he was from the outside. Yes, his handle has improved since going to college, but so has his jumper too.

CJ learnt to play ball here in Australia and then honed it at College and came back to Australia. no different to anyone else that grew up playing ball in this country that went to college.

Reply #229157 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're horrible players before leaving to the states, I'm just saying under their system has "honed" (using your term LC) their skills. And yeah, CJ learnt to play basketball in Australia but not from an American.

Reply #229194 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

sorry I meant "not from an Australian"

Reply #229195 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I watched Mills play before he went to the Tute.. He could penetrate whenever he wanted to. He was a little sloppy at hitting the outside man when kicking it back out. He was deadly from the outside.

Reply #229206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754