Glen Saville (Wollongong)

All-NBL Third Team
Matthew Knight (Sydney)
James Harvey (Gold Coast)
David Barlow (Melbourne)
Joe Ingles (South)
Adam Gibson (South)

Others to Receive votes:
Darnell Hinson (Perth), Phill Jones (New Zealand), Kavossy Franklin (Wollongong), Alex Loughton (Perth), Luke Whitehead (Gold Coast),Tony Ronaldson (New Zealand), Rosell Ellis (Townsville), Oscar Forman (New Zealand), Martin Cattalini (Cairns), Rick Rickert (New Zealand), Jason Smith (Sydney), Dusty Rychart (Wollongong), Matthew Burston (South), John Rillie (Townsville), Dave Thomas (Melbourne), Brett Maher (Adelaide), Tremmell Darden (South), Nathan Crosswell (Melbourne), Ian Crosswhite (Cairns), Peter Crawford (Perth), Darnell Mee (Cairns), Julius Hodge (Adelaide), Julian Khazzouh (Sydney), Isiah Victor (Perth), Shane Heal (Gold Coast), and Cameron Tragardh (Wollongong).

Topic #19351 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Just realised Saville made the second team and had to check his stats - 15/8/4 is decent. Luke Whitehead was probably unlucky to miss out.

Reply #229183 | Report this post

Colin  
Years ago

Luke should have been 1st team.

Reply #229184 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think the selections are just about spot on. You can't really argue that big Luke should have been in the 1st team instead of Anstey. Whether you like him or not, Anstey was the most dominant and influential big man in the NBL and his team made the grand final series. All first team recipients were on teams that finished top 3.

Reply #229185 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

It's true that they finished top 3, but it doesn't mean that each individual was the best option for the position in the all-NBL team. Luke beat Anstey 3 times! He had a dominant season. Not at all surprised to see Anstey get it though, figured as much would happen. Would think that maybe Ballinger had a case to argue yet again as well.........

Reply #229188 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think David Barlow (15/6/2 for Melbourne) and Joe Ingles (13/4/4 for South) should've been locks for third team but I guess there were a lot of guys in that 13-15 PPG space and they were from the top two teams. Not sure how Dave Thomas got a vote for 8 and 7 a game?

Reply #229189 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I hate Anstey but he def owns that spot in the first team as do the other 4 especialy CJ and Penney lol

Reply #229190 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

I know Gibson was PG for the championship team and won DPOY but surely he shouldn't get in 3rd team. The 3rd team has 4 outside players and only 1 inside player - surely whitehead or ellis should be in there.

(2nd team looks to have 3 inside and 2 outside - are there any rules on this?)

Surely Phill Jones deserves to be in one of the 3 teams.

What do u think about someone(s) voting for Hodge?

What do u think about the runner up in the MVP, Matt Knight, getting into the 3rd team?

Reply #229191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Matty Knight came 2nd in MVP but only made 3rd NBL team. Something is seriously wrong with the MVP voting system!

Reply #229198 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Surely Phill Jones deserves to be in one of the 3 teams.
Why?

Reply #229199 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'Just realised Saville made the second team and had to check his stats - 15/8/4 is decent. Luke Whitehead was probably unlucky to miss out.'

Suprising, did not expect those stats for him for the season.

Reply #229201 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Phil Jones can't even make it into his own team so why should he be in one of those 3 teams? :P

Reply #229202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall Anstey had a better season than Schenser. It's not based on inidividual contests between players.

Reply #229217 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Knight should be at least in the 2nd team. He had a huge season. There are soem guys who average season who polled votes. Dave Thomas for one. If you need an extra inside player for team 3 Rick Rickert had a solid season without being outstanding. Defensive player of the year has to make a team maybe second.

Reply #229218 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

As if SOJ didn't get a vote.

Reply #229241 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Phill Jones was 'probably' the 3rd best player on the hottest team in the league for 2/3rds of the season.

In my opinion he was a rock for the Breakers, when the rest of the team dropped, his performance lifted.

The scenario JR used on me was if you were to start a new team would these people be the first ones picked in each position. I would pick him over Gibson and Harvey... maybe even Barlow (stretch)

JR had Jones in his 3rd team.

Reply #229244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So Matty Knight came 2nd in MVP but only made 3rd NBL team. Something is seriously wrong with the MVP voting system!
I think it's just that it's a different voting system?

Reply #229246 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

** The MVP is voted game by game by coaches - 10 points, not more than 5 can be given to one player, you can give 10 guys 1 point each

** The All-NBL teams are voted by Coaches and Captains (anyone else? Help). This is done after the season is complete and you cant vote for anyone on your own team.

Should the MVP be voted the same way as the rest of the awards?

OR are they right as they are?

Reply #229255 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Poor effort IMO.

Schenscher vs Anstey:
Schensch: 17/11/1 at 55%****
Anstey: 18/11/2 at 43%****

I know who I'm picking. A centre should not be shooting at 43% (and I don't even hate the guy as much as most of you)

My teams:

Schenscher
Ballinger
Ere
Penney
Bruton

Anstey
Worthington
Redhage
Harvey
Williams

Knight
Ellis
Saville
Barlow
Gibson

Roughly the same 15 players, just a different order with more logical positions. I contemplated moving Wortho into Ebi's spot then moving Redhage to the 4 spot in the second team but Wortho really hasn't played the 3 much at all this year. Ingles, Forman and Hinson just missed.

Reply #229265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd even consider picking Jones over Barlow? I've heard it all now.

Reply #229287 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No Azza Bruce?
Shows the depth of the comp when the ROY can't get into the 3rd team.

Can anyone remember when the ROY last made one of these teams?

Reply #229289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a huge gap there IMO.

Barlow: 14.8 PPG in 33 MPG (%s: 44/40/76). 21.5 PP48.
Jones: 14.5 PPG in 26 MPG (%s: 47/42/87). 26.8 PP48.

Barlow for the second best team and Jones for the third.

If that's "hearing it all", might want to listen up more often because I don't think it's a ridiculous consideration.

Reply #229290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jack, Jawai made second team last year. Newley made it one year after his rookie season I think.

Reply #229292 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, I thought that was the case!

Reply #229298 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Jones was the man all season, especially when he whacked Redage. he deserved the sixth man award.
Jones can't make his own team? Pop played Manu at 6th man quite often so does that mean Ginobli's crap.
Just because a coach wants someone who can flat out shoot to come of tha bench to do their damage doesn't mean they can't play. I'd way rather have Phill Jones on my bench than half of the other teams starters

Reply #229323 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

julius hodge should have made first team

Reply #229330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Phil

Reply #229341 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Pop played Manu at 6th man quite often so does that mean Ginobli's crap."

No... but Ginobili IS crap.

Reply #229401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754