Anonymous
Years ago

Seamus looking at sixers

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25213020-10914,00.html

Topic #19366 | Report this topic

COOPZ  
Years ago

This can only be a good thing for the sixers.

although the tigers have always had a good fan base, his business plan as an NBL team owner is also very solid, and i cant see any team he buys ever ending up in financial trouble.

Reply #229410 | Report this post

knox_team  
Years ago

yet he still won't pay his fine from the grand final series. The guy is bad news and I hope another buyer steps up for the 6ers.

Reply #229411 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"If I don't see it, then the rule isn't there."
What about the spirit of the competition, the vibe of it all?

Reply #229413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems like an evil bastard, dont want him owning the sixers.

"the tigers have always had a good fan base"

- you call 2,800 crowds a good fan base!?

Reply #229414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really need a Mark Lewis or Sam Shahin to step up now and keep the 36ers in the hands of a South Aussie.

IMO this is not good news.

Reply #229416 | Report this post

knox_team  
Years ago

I really feel for you guys I think this would be the worse possible option in terms of ownership for the 6ers. This guy wouldnt understand what the "spirit of the competition" even means. His behaviour shown over the past month has shown that.

Reply #229417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont have to worry about the salary cap, thats a bonus...

plus someone who wants the game to go well, might be stuffed if Tigers V 36ers Grand Final, but we'll face that when it happens..

Reply #229418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

totally agree with 2 previous comments.

This guy is not a south aussie. He doesn't understand what it means to be south australian and the pride that comes with that. He doesn't understand anything other than pure business.

Wan't some Fuss guy meant to buying the team?

Reply #229419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't coach 2 teams or play for 2 teams so why should you be able own 2 teams. His main focus will still be with the Tigers and he'll still live in Melbourne so our owner will be some guy who lives out of town cause hes too busy running abother club!

Reply #229420 | Report this post

knox_team  
Years ago

Tigers fans would be pissed if the 6ers sign the better talent, 6ers fans would be pissed if the Tigers sign better talent... and the rest of the league would be pissed if these two teams met in the grand final because no one likes seamus! Fun times ahead.

Reply #229425 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anything is for sale if the price is right. If Seamus waves enough $$$ under Mal's nose, anything is possible. Could we be the Adelaide "Tigers"?

Is it a good idea to let Seamus own the Sixers?

perceived +ves
* Good with finances
* Assertive approach to NBL
* Knows how to navigate around rules to advantage

Perceived -ves
* Decision making bias towards Melbourne
* "Junior" partner to Melbourne
* Loss of identity
* Loss of culture
* Increase in ticket prices
* Move from a high supporter base club, to a smaller, richer supporter base

I am sure you poindexters will add more to the lists!

Reply #229426 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hmm, are these negotiations as much a lock as the Tigers signings of Hodge and Bruce?

Seamus seems to like put pressure on busines deals by going to the media.

Reply #229428 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

enormous conflict of interest in this scenario...the league used to ban this sort of behaviour

Reply #229429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another decent step towards oblivion for the NBL.

Reply #229432 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Dont be stupid if he is willing to help with what seems to be dead league any help should be welcomed, I'd rather see a 36er team owned by Mr.Peake then see no team here at all.

Put your head guys, the league is a fast, if a wealthy man wants to help Basketball in Australia then let him!!! You never know the Glory years may come back soon!!!

by him owning the team wont take away the 36er spirit!!!

Reply #229433 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Can't say as I'd be impressed with Seamus owning the Sixers / Dome.

Financial stability is great...and I'm not entirely fond of Sixers management (I'm up to the chapter of Maher-vellous where management sides with Dunlap, so I'm understandably anti-establsihment this week)... but I'd really like other options for ownership if possible.

As someone asked - what happened to Fuss?

Surely there was to be at least a Plan B between McPeake taking over and oblivion?

Fragile times for the league.

Reply #229434 | Report this post

Cat15  
Years ago

"If I don't see it, then the rule isn't there."

It reminds me of Homer Simpson closing his eyes and running a red light while declaring "If I can't see it, it isn't illegal"!

Reply #229436 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Where did he make his money?........writing sympathy cards?

Reply #229440 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Originally, he'd trick orphans into handing over pocket change by convincing them he'd found them a foster family that required a down payment.

Reply #229444 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was reported in the media that Fuss would take over , subject to the make up of the new league.
I wonder whether Seamus would be the owner and Mal manages it. ?

Reply #229445 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It is up to the board, right now, to show what sort of league we are going to have next season.

If they allow this to happen IN ANY WAY, the game is dead in this country.

They have already allowed McPeake to serve on the board, ignoring the massive conflict of interest. This just doubles the problem.

So if Adelaide and Melbourne make the GF, does he get to chose who wins it, based on which gives him the biggest windfall.

The fact that owning two teams is not expressly prohibited in the new league rules, just shows how amateur it has been handled.

FFS guys, nip this in the bud......NOW!!!

Fight him....MAKE him pay the fine, or sanction him. Stop him going through with this ridiculous idea. This is an example that needs to be set, straight away.

Or kiss any credibility the new league may have got goodbye, before it even gets off the ground.

Reply #229455 | Report this post

Dazza  
Years ago

Some pretty good articles attached to that one.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25213019-10914,00.html
Very amusing, especially the sitting on the court rule!

Reply #229461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News Corp own or part own 3 NRL teams, why is basketball dead if we have one person owning two clubs?

Reply #229466 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dicko, its Seamus (nor anyone else) does not have a conflict of interest sitting on the board of the NewBA.

He may have "an interest", but those interests are required to be declared at meetings or when a topic is discussed that potentially impacts on that interest.

How those interests are managed by the individual or chair is what potentially makes it a conflict.

But you can't simply say that because he is an Owner that he cannot sit on the Interim board of NewBA.

Reply #229471 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I'm sorry but it's been pretty clear that Seamus has benefitted from decisions made by that board he is sitting on where other clubs have not had the same advantage.

He is completely disrespectful of the board that he's a member of, even going as far as challenging them to take on his "deep pockets" when it comes to fines, etc.

EVEN IF (and it's along bow) there is no conflict of interest as you say.....to behave the way he does and REPRESENT that board at the same time is ridiculous.

This guy is one of the represntatives of the league, yes? A guy that has been done for man handling refs in VBA finals (Sorry...SHOULD have been, since it got swept under the carpet), criticising officials openly (in VBA and NBL), taking advantage of loopholes in the rules that (as a board member) he should be helping to close. He does NO promotion of the league for anyones benefit but his own and is, in fact, a really good advertisement for NOT being involved with the league. Who are we kidding here......ANYONE could fill his role on the board, without the conflict involved. Hell, I'll join the new league interim board. Something might actually get done.

If he is going sit on the board he should be doing EVERYTHING to make sure that his position is seen to be squeeky clean. But he seems to be hell bent on doing the opposite and challenging everyone to take him on.

Reply #229476 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Reply #229477 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dicko, I agree with you that his behaviour is outrageous, and that it has never been controlled. ust making the point that it is not a conflict of interest sitting on a Board.

Reply #229492 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I think your point is that it's not NECESSARILY a conflict in all cases.

My personal opinion is, based on decisions made and where the benefit of those decisions landed, in THIS CASE, there is a definite conflict.

Reply #229496 | Report this post

Nibble  
Years ago

As far as i hear, The Fuss / Lewis consortium is likely to come out as the owner, but Mal is playing hard ball.

Reply #229501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal needs to get the hell outta there and let the club move on - stop pretending to be the owner.

Reply #229504 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

1 step closer to his goal of "owning" the league...

financially it'll probably help for sure but this seems an aukward situation to get himself in.

Reply #229505 | Report this post

Stumps  
Years ago

Isn't there a rule that says you have to live in the same state as the team (one which the NBL made an ill-fated exception for to allow WA's Tim Johnston to buy the Kings)? I know McPeake is a big man, but surely even he can't live in Victoria and South Australia at the same time.

Reply #229507 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

If he doesn't pay that fine, revoke the licence. That'll move him quick.

Reply #229518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seamus is a law unto himself.
Word is the other owners have had enough.

Reply #229591 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

They've already tried to have him removed....earlier in the season....it got swept under the carpet and never actioned.

You'll never guess which board heard the complaint and implemented the delaying tactic?

Reply #229695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754