spicey
Years ago

NH- Plasma or LCD

Hi there.

I'm considering buying a new tv and I was wondering what people's opinions are on LCD vs Plasma and what is the difference between the two.

Thanks

Topic #19387 | Report this topic

DT  
Years ago

Plasma - more versatile than lcd. No matter what signal you put into it, i.e foxtel (low resolution) it is going to give you a good picture. Better for sport and or fast horizontal movement. Downfalls are reflection or usage in a brightly lit room. Slightly cheaper than lcd.

LCD - significantly better for high resolution source material i.e blu-ray or full-hd tv. Jagged movement on most lcd panels for sport or movies unless it is low response time and has a good motion enhancer. Not as much reflection as plasma, only exception would be the samsung range which use high gloss screens for deeper contrast.

It really is the lesser of two evils -

Plasma is better for sport - not as good on blu-ray

LCD is better on blu-ray - not so good on sport.

Reply #229600 | Report this post

spicey  
Years ago

thanks for that :)

Reply #229601 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Im pretty sure Pioneer has committed to stop making plasmas and other manafacturers are also considering it. So if you get a plasma you might be buying the last its kind

Reply #229610 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Plasma is Beta to LCD's VHS. If you want newer technology, buy LCD. Much cheaper to run. Only downfall is it's more expensive.

The Guthries have an LCD and have never looked back.

Reply #229612 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Pretty happy with my samsung series 9. Came with a samsung bluray player also (product promotion).

Sport in HD is pretty good. Watched some cricket, NBA and car racing no noticable blur in HD.

Has screen reflection when it's off but not noticed when watching actual tv. Bluray is good also. Simply have not looked back compared to old CRT.

Reply #229616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have got an LCD too.

Reply #229621 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What's CRT??

Reply #229623 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

LCD for sure.
Plasma vs LCD sport/movie was very evident when they first came out but the LCD's response times have improved ALOT and I would recommend LCD over any Plasma screen.

Be wary of cheap LCD's that do not offer fast response time though!

Reply #229642 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Watch out for Samsung!!! worst pixilated TV's i have ever seen!

Reply #229648 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

TR I think you might know this but a CRT is an old cathode ray tube tv. Basically the old telly we had before flat panel screens.

Reply #229655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are so many in-jokes over the years on this forum, but I think "What's a CRT?" is one of them - I think it was by Dicko in response to me trying to sell some old monitors (one of which I still have!). Bound to pop up any time people talk about TV/computer screens!

Reply #229658 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Samsung series 9 are awesome. Also the Sony Bravia Z series with the 200hz motion flow is great (even if it is a trifle expensive).

Stick with these two cutting edge models and you can't go wrong.

Reply #229665 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Plasma is Beta to LCD's VHS.

Then OLED will be DVD to Plasma and LCD's Video Tape?

Reply #229666 | Report this post

Hopefully DICKO... Otherwise it may just end up being Laser Disc.

I have a Samsung F-series (an older version of the new 8/9 series) LCD and it's amazing.

Was by far the stand out of all the TVs I looked at. As a PS3 lover, the Game Mode is a nice touch too...

Reply #229692 | Report this post

LCD for me  
Years ago

I have both. I have a 50 inch plasma (LG)& a 40ish inch LCD (Sony). The LCD is mainly used for PS3 and DVD's but was our main TV for around 8 months; while the plasma is mainly used for free to air & foxtel.

We initially went out to buy a small LCD as a 2nd TV for PS3 and Wii games but the deal on the large plasma was so attractive we could not turn it down (LG $1620 at Harvey Normans around 4 months ago)

If you can afford it, go LCD. Never noticed lag or pixalating on AFL or motor sports and the picture on PS3 is killa....COD4, BLISS!!!!!

You will get a bigger plasma for less $$$ though. If you want sheer viewing size go plasma.

P.S. if you go the large screen take a Ute or trailer. The boxes these things come in are ridiculous. I could not fit the Sony LCD into a large 4WD, had to go back home for the Ute. I was told that you cannot lay the TV's down in transit.

Reply #229697 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I got a 46 inch Sony Bravia X series. Great tv, no complaints. Great for everything. Sport is fine

Reply #229707 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

World wide Audio Visual experts all agree that the Pioneer Kuro Plasma is the best flat screen panel money can buy - LCD or Plasma.

LCD screens are good for daytime viewing in bright environments, but at night can be too bright and therefore never correctly display dark scenes, and lose detail in blacks.

Plasma screens run hotter, consume more electricity, but overall handle fast moving video much better. Because the plasma screen is glass, they can be difficult to watch during the day due to reflections from windows.

Bluray will be fine on both, assuming that each panel is capable of displaying HD video.

PS3 or Xbox360 will be fine on both - some plasmas can be affected by 'image retention', but some LCDs can suffer from image lag on fast moving games.

You also get more value for your dollar with a Plasma for the same screen size.

But the key to the whole debate will rely on the source of video you feed into the display. Hook up your old VHS and you will never get a decent image at 40"+. Even SD DVD can look quite 'blocky' if you sit too close to a big screen. HD FTA can look good, but the quality can vary between programs. Make sure you always conect your devices via HDMI or component (not composite). Foxtel is known to look very average on even the best of screens.

Reply #229728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754