Quagmire
Years ago

NBA most improved- one horse race

John Salmons.

A lot of talk that the Nets Devin Harris had this award in the bag, but Salmons has improved through the roof the last few seasons, moving from a bench warmer to a legit 20 ppg scorer.

Now i know Harris is the better player... but has he really improved or has he been rewarded by a system that was designed for him..? Can't help but notice the nets have hardly missed a beat without him around....

Any other players deserving consideration???

Topic #19402 | Report this topic

ESP  
Years ago

Danny Granger, nuff said.

Reply #229731 | Report this post

bulls4eva  
Years ago

what does improving through the roof over a few seasons have to do with it?

its about this one season and he is in contention by increasing his averages from 12.4 to 20 this year

devin harris has gone from 15 to 22 and was an allstar

its not the one horse race you believe

heck even shaq would be worth a token vote here or there

Reply #229732 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

what he said ^^^

Reply #229733 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Granger!!!! There is always one that you forget...

Look, Danny G is a champ and i would be happy to see him win it. Him or Salmons.

I just don't think Devin has shown as much actual improvement...

Shaq is a no chance.

Reply #229734 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

It should and will be Devin Harris.

I don't think Salmons deserves it, he was hated in Sacremento by his players and coaches and then traded, and he's a chucker who doesn't seem to know when it's a good idea to pass it and when to shoot it. He puts up big scoring numbers, but I don't think hes neccessarily playing well when he does.

Harris is an all-star and probably now the best player on his team (slighting edging Carter for now). Has been clutch, an all-star...He should win.

Granger certainly deserves some praise though, but he averaged more rebounds and 20ppg last season...I think everyone expecting him to go for a couple extra points. Having watched nearly all the Raptors game this season I think Andrea Bargnani deserves some praise as well. He's added so much to his game...including bulk, an even better shot, a pull up game, a post up game, makes better decisions and has gone from Toronto's biggest liability on defense to one of their strongest defenders. His numbers of 15 and 6 don't stand out, but if you take out his first two average months, he's been right at 20ppg for the rest of the year.

Reply #229739 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

+1 for Devin Harris. Salmons is a hack, a good hack, but still a hack.

Reply #229742 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

also agree with bulls4eva

Reply #229744 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Salmons for me.

Reply #229745 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Like granger, has really stepped up and is big in the 4th quarter. Plus the guy just keeps playing, against the C's he got his front teeth smashed clean out and played the rest of the game.

Reply #229746 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

How about Durant?

Statisically gone up in every gategory except blocks, ft%...TO's has gone up

Reply #229750 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Stranger Granger for me.

Reply #229755 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Its important to recognise the award doesn't go to the best player of the bunch, it goes to the most improved.

Two years ago, Salmons was a bench warmer playing little minutes and set to be one of those guys for his career. Flash forward and he is keeping the bulls in the hunt fo the 8th seed, filling in for Deng and covering for a hot/cold Gordon...

Watch the bulls keep Salmons and let Gordon walk at seasons end.

Reply #229767 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fez, I was going to suggest Durant. There are a few good options around and I can't see the selection pleasing everyone.

I would go with Durant or Bargnani.

Reply #229776 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

In the defense of salmons being a 'chucker' he is shooting 48% from the field and 41% from 3, which are percentages than any 2/3 man in the nba would be more than happy with. Also only averaging 2.2 turnovers a game. I dare say he's one of the more efficient wing players in the league when he has the ball in his hands.

Reply #229787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jules makes a pretty good case for Bargnani.

Harris for me though

Reply #229789 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I think Salmons will only ever perform at a high level on a crap team. If you put him in a better team, I don't think he would stay at the same level.

I think Harris will win it, just because everyone will look at the all star nod as a big thing.

My call would be Durant. If you take out a few of his dud games, has had a great season. A handful of games over 40, while still being the only player teams really have to try to stop on his team. He is going to be ridiculous.

Reply #229803 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Salmons is Larry Hughes mark II. A decent player on average teams that puts up decent numbers, but will never lead his team anywhere.

Reply #229807 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bit harsh TR..no one is that bad!

Actually, I have been pretty impressed with Salmons, he is doing wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than Pommy Deng.

Reply #229813 | Report this post

PlanetHoops  
Years ago

i think if you are in the NBA.. yes no one is that bad.

Reply #229815 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

granger

Reply #229825 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Granger i like because he was doing everything to fill the gap left by injury to Dunleavy.

Harris did well because even though nearly every play was designed for him, he still had the skill to convince his coach to run the plays for him over Carter.

But the real question is about what this award is for.

Durant has improved massive, but is it improvement or natural progresion?

Granger and Harris, improvement or opportunity?

Salmons has taken a huge step forward and is now a valuable piece for any team.

The more i think about the MIP award, the more i think its about older players who become more than what was expected of them.

I would vote Salmons.

Reply #229847 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

danny granger was still having a good year last year

and without jamal tinsley this year he had more chance to shine

i still think it has to be devin harris

Reply #229866 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

How about the player who is the least improved i.e the player that has gotten worse!!
Surely that has to go to Kirk Hinrich--And to think that he played for Team U.S.A at th 06 World Champs..Oh How the mighty have fallen!

Reply #229869 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

no-one has fallen harder than Amare Stoudamire.

some real high hopes for him have been squashed... we have seen his best, he will only be glimpses of great from now on...

Actually- T-Mac may have fallen even further...

Reply #229877 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

When is this announced? Is it first round of the playoffs?

Salmons nice stat line today..

19pts 6reb 6ast 5 stl.

Reply #231263 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

has to be LeBron - he improves every year !!! at this rate he may one day catch up to even the greatest ever - Kobe

Reply #231285 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754