Isaac
Years ago

Mining magnate puts up guarantee for Hawks

The Wollongong Hawks are back from the brink after miraculously securing a million-dollar bank guarantee with moments to spare.

As the seconds wound down towards a 3pm deadline yesterday, Indian businessman Arun Jagatramka answered the Hawks' SOS call for a white knight to rescue the club from oblivion.

The Illawarra mining magnate agreed to provide the all-important guarantee, leaving the NewNBL virtually no option but to include the Hawks in next season's restructured competition.
Full story

That's great news for the Hawks. Let's hope the guarantee isn't required to come into play.

Topic #19457 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Lets see what the NBL will do next to not accept the Hawks

Reply #230264 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

How do they pay the loss they will create?
Does the support er base pay?

Reply #230265 | Report this post

NOL'd  
Years ago

Is there a translation tool for kcgone's posts?

Reply #230269 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

I was under the impression that FOX would only include two non capital teams if they were to be broadcaster.

one being Gold Coast and the other either Cairns or Townsville.

So if the NBL must except Wollongong it puts in jeopardy the Fox deal.

Reply #230270 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting!

Reply #230272 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good to see the 'Gong survive to play another day!

Reply #230273 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

The Ball is now back in NBL/BA Court - In or out?

Reply #230290 | Report this post

NOL'd  
Years ago

Well KCGONE considering it was announced last week Hawks satisfied the criteria aside from the $1Mill guarantee.

I'd have to assume IN

Reply #230293 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

NOL'd one would/could assume that and I hope that is the case.

Are you aware of any of the coaching staff positions proposed?

Also what did you not understand re my previous post bar the " " in the wrong place.

The NRE $1m as guarantor is great if the team falls over and needs bailing out, hopefully if they get in taht won't happen, but if they run at a loss for the first year or so where does that come from?

The supporters base/comunity?

Reply #230295 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'd love to see the Hawks remain in the competition, as long as they really can be viable in the long-term. Since this mining magnate is putting up the $1m, will that mean that he now has a vested interest in seeing the club continue?

As far as Fox is concerned, that would be a loss if they pulled out because of too many regional teams. However, things might not be so bad now that One HD exists! I hope the NBL is doing everything it can to sign up to a long term deal with One. I don't have Fox and never will, so I would much prefer a FTA deal!

Either that or maybe think outside the box and find a way to do internet broadcasts? Calling all tech savvy entrepreneurs...

Reply #230297 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sorry cant see the future in keeping the Hawks going much rather see a Brisbane and Syd. teams and for
Cairns to return . Hawks havent had any money to spend on plyrs over last few years and their attendances were terrible not getting even 2k on many times. Still hoping it will be a new league with real purpose and new ideas to grow the sport and get people back to the games. And clubs keep in have a future

Reply #230302 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i kinda agree with BTM, unless hawks have a total clean out in the front office and on court, i dont see the point.
the city voted with its feet(attendances) and other than throwing a life line to some average players careers, what is the point.

i am sure b/a must be wondering the same thing!

i might add,it looks terrible on tv when 1200 people turnup!

Reply #230331 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

wow, very surprised that they found someone, $1 mil is not exactly pocket change.

I have to wonder if this is really in the league's interests thou ... as someone else said, the hawks have struggled for a few years now to get a decent team out on the court, and if they're only going to get that sort of team again, I wonder if its worth it?

Is this mining guy just putting up the bank guarantee, or is he going to be involved in the ownership of the team too? Cos they could def use his money for recruiting better players.

Reply #230333 | Report this post

Not keen on this. The Hawks have been struggling for a few years now financially and all this does is cover the guarantee. So in other words it would be the status quo, money problems, cheapish teams and no crowds. BA/NBL should reject their proposal as like others have said could be the thing that messes up the Fox deal.

Reply #230337 | Report this post

NOL'd  
Years ago

fox will screw the nbl up, as a basketball junkie all games live is awesome but look at the bigger picture, its much better to get a spot, even a single spot on free tv like oneHD.

forgot baskteball junkies they will already be attracted to games, you want to attract new people and being with fox over the past 10 yrs has proven that doesnt happen.

Reply #230346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on the Hawks. It will be interesting to see if the new NBL can find some way to not include them now. The Hawks have always treated their players well, paid them on time and the full amount, a lot more than other teams have done. Basketball is a sport that has a good participation rate in Regional NSW and Regional NSW should be represented. Junior NSW County teams have always demonstrated a great comradeship between the county players from outside the metro area and it doesn't matter what regional centre in NSW they come from they always have a connection to all regional areas. If you haven't been to a game in Wollongong when the Hawks win you need to write it on your Bucket list.

Reply #230352 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Was at the Hawks "final" game and the suppot was fantastic, Now they gave away a truckload of tickets..and it was promoted heavily, but the place was packed...we were sat..top row behind the basket.

I think if they are promoted and get a half reasonable (eg make the finals) side they will have no trouble in filling the stadium, which is a fair place to watch the game.

Cant see why the league or anyone else wouldnt want a supported, competetive side whereveer they are based.

Reply #230368 | Report this post

FTSOS  
Years ago

Have it on good authority that the Hawks are changing their name and colours.
Next season they will wear black and yellow and will be known as the Wollongong Indian Miner Birds.

Reply #230373 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That is great news for Hawks fans and basketball in Wollongong. If the criteria has been written and the Hawks satisfy that fully, then there is no option but to include them next season. How do you write a clause in there that says only 2 non capital cities will be accepted. Do you say the first 2 that meets all the other criteria will make it in so the early bird catches the worm? That is a stupid rule to put in place and Fox are stupid if they refuse to get on board because there are more than 2 non capital city teams. They don't have to choose to go to Wollongong, or Gold Coast, or Cairns or Townsville if they don't want to. It will do the fans of these clubs a favor if they don't because it means they will telecast their away games which is more important to them.

Reply #230383 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

absolutely great news for the league, they pulled 5700 for their last game so keep that stuff going and you have a power house

Reply #230386 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

kman they will have to be content with 5697 because my friends and I can't keep travelling from Adelaide to Wollongong for every home game. Hope it works out well for them and hope the fans realise that they have to play a part in the club's success by supporting them every game. I spoke with many of the fans on that last game and no doubt there was a lot of sadness to see the club come to an end after 31 years. Hope these are the people and others just like them that will be there for them in the new season.

Reply #230388 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Waiting game continues foir the Hawks and others.
Here.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/wollongong-hawks-must-play-waiting-game/1474740.aspx

Reply #230407 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Has anybody in the Gong learnt anything this off-season about effective management of their club and finances or are they all wrapped up the latest white knight to fall from the sky?
The guy can put up their guarantee, but what's the guarantee that they won't fall into the same scrapheap they always do season after season.

Reply #230411 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I thought the league had accepted "Expressions of Interest" from clubs wishing to participate in the "new League" and to even be considered there were certain criteria that had to be met (bank guarantee, working capital, business plan etc etc)

This doesnt mean that if you meet the criteria you are defiantely in, all it means is the leaguie will look at the conforming EOI's and then grant licences on the basis of having a league made up of teams that will be best for all.

With Wollongong being able to meet all criteria by the deadline thats great but Im not so sure it guarantees them a side in the New League.

Reply #230417 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

From The Times of India:

http://linky.com.au/qt286

Reply #230781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754