Concerned
Years ago

State coach Reported??

A Metro state Men's head coach was recently reported after being ejected from a game. This coach is a multiple offender & protected specie. This is his second offence in 12 months. Surely this person is not a role model for the face of BSA & its best junior players.

Will someone from BSA stand up & make a statement that this type of behaviour is not acceptable in our sport.

This is another case of NG & his boys club of coaches getting away with anything they want.

What is the general feel from the basketball community in regard to this & other issues that are kept on the hush, hush because of who the coach is, or what club he/she coaches at.

Topic #19506 | Report this topic

The truth  
Years ago

NG and his boys club? Please explain?
Obviously the coach is from Sturt as most of the State coaches are and if you are pointing fingers at NG and he is involved at Sturt it kind of backs up that theory.
Coaches get ejected from the games every so often, it happens. Being reported is probably a different situation, but do we know what he was reported for. If it is abuse of an umpire then yes I think BSA need to look at this with a stern view.

Reply #230875 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

part of the game pal, get out of the cottonwool...

Reply #230876 | Report this post

William 59  
Years ago

Yes he did get reported BUT the case was thrown out as it was full of discrepancies.

He got two tech fouls for saying "What for!" and a third for saying the same when he was leaving the court area as he should have. He did not swear at any time, as the ref said in the charges.

This was all captured on video, the reporting ref's account was either exaggerated or wrong. The tribunal threw it out in record time and the ref was told that he had erred.

Reply #230878 | Report this post

Stand Up  
Years ago

So, Concerned, I guess you'll be giving up every Saturday & Sunday afternoon for 6 months (not to mention Thursdays nights at SASI and any amount of individual sessions)as well as 10 full days and nights during National Champs - with no remuneration - to take this coaches place if he's not the face BSA wish to project? It's easy to call for these men & women to be sacked for a misdemeanour but the line-up of people willing to take on these roles is not exactly stretching out the door.

Reply #230880 | Report this post

Happy  
Years ago

I'm not a big fan of the "boys club" for State or SASI, but the it really depends on what the coach was reported for.

If he was reported as set out above by(#230878) then I say BIG DEAL.

Your wasting our time concerned!

Reply #230894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't sound like much of an issue to me if William 59's account is accurate.

Reply #230901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are all assuming this is the same clown that bailed up a young referee in a pub after a nationals. Not sure if BSA need someone like this around.

Reply #230904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure anyone gains anything out of a thread like this.

BSA have handled the matter and agree or disagree with the outcome its done and dusted.

Reply #230909 | Report this post

enjoy  
Years ago

my son has been in the sasi programe under NG and others and never had a problem with any of the state coaches from sturt or ng , he enjoys thier coaching and there comments AND NO HE IN NOT FROM STURT and enjoys playing against them because it brings the best out of him........If the coach was from another club would it be all over hoops?????????

Reply #230911 | Report this post

d cup  
Years ago

South Coach 16 boys got a double t on Sunday as well

Gone

Reply #230913 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Ooooooh, bailed up in a pub....what an evil soul. He deserves to be locked up straight away, no questions asked.

Reply #230923 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

To the poster above, please choose another name becase it's already taken. I was reading the thread and got confused when I saw I had posted on something I know nothing about it.

Reply #230929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey there seems to be a real issue with the Sasi guys, how dare they work hard and coach hard and make players better, Damn, they should be run out of town !!!

I heard NG was also wanted for the Kennedy assasination - What a Tyrant

Reply #230934 | Report this post

wanker  
Years ago

we talking about the one and only LF - monster amongst men

Reply #230950 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

To the poster above the poster above the poster above, okay.

Reply #230965 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

TC: How dare any coach, let alone a State Coach bail up a referee after the tournament had concluded and have a go at them in a pub in front of other bball people (coaches/referees etc)!!!
100% unprofessional!!!

And now this latest situation... Do junior players get automatically cut when they get reported, or is it only when they are found guilty/suspended?

880: I'm sure there are plenty of other qualified coaches willing to have this position, and should be allowed to apply next year as it should be left wide open with this coaches re-appointment. However in my opinion this coach should not have been re-appointed after the pub incident, and now with the latest, should be the last straw... but he must need 3 strikes before he is out.

Reply #230966 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Graeme LeBroy, you played with Arjuna Ranatunga. I don't think you should be throwing stones.

Reply #230977 | Report this post

Happy  
Years ago

#230904...once again you are drawing a very long bow.

"bailed up a young referee in a pub after a nationals"....well the ump was obviously 18, young yes, but an adult never the less. You should have added descriptive words regarding the umpire such as little, defenseless, cowering to help make your story more "scary".

I am not saying what was done was right; however this thread is sounding like a beat up by some one with an axe to grind. Let it go.

Reply #230978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graeme LeBroy,

You are saying he should be gone because of this latest incident...that he was found not guilty of?

Reply #231002 | Report this post

Stand Up  
Years ago

Graham - #966, Don't think the coach who was reported, ie the subject of the original post, is the same one who baled up the Ref in the pub.
There are a number of crossed wires in this thread.

Reply #231017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stand Up

The coach that was reported was in fact involved in a post nationals incident with a referee at a pub.

Graeme is correct, maybe there's another pub incident you're thinking of.

Reply #231019 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Lebroy - TC: How dare any coach, let alone a State Coach bail up a referee after the tournament had concluded and have a go at them in a pub in front of other bball people (coaches/referees etc)!!!
100% unprofessional!!!

Why not? Why are these people protected from all sorts of criticisms and confrontations? As long as the coach didn't go over the top, why isn't he allowed to have words with the ref?

If the ref has called the game properly, and has acted professionally himself at all times, then he has his bottom line he can stick to. If he reffed a poor game and showed attitude towards the coach, then he can't expect people to let it slide.

Reply #231036 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Professionalism is why this coach should not have confronted the referee in the pub. He is representing his State FFS!!!

If a discussion is warranted, do it at an appropriate venue and after the tournament is well over, so heat/emotion/anger isn't involved. Just because 'you' are not happy with the way a game was refereed, doesn't give you the right to have a go at someone about it in a social situation. Referees are not protected people, but some people need to respect the fact these referees get selected to referee at this level for a reason... because they have some sort of potential (which I know the majority of bone head supporters do not see). Of course mistakes are going to be made by referees but how many of these mistakes actually cost teams games.... very very minimal, they are just easy outs for people who do not wish to take responisibility for the real reason their team lost.

002: He should not have been re-appointed after his last tournament and post-tournament altercations, but as he has been reported again, he should be out on his ass. Guilty or not, he had to have done something for a referee to go through the report process.

Reply #231070 | Report this post

Frogg 76  
Years ago

LeBroy, are you talking about the same person??? As far as I know he wasn't out last couple of tournaments. The team and parents caught up and coaches didn't go out.

And if he was not guilty, how can you say the ref was right? Does that mean that every time a ref reports somebody, they should be penalised, even if the ref is in the wrong?

Reply #231081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Graeme. I think this person is a referee hater and refuses to behave professionally around our game. I am sure most referees are happy to have a CIVILIZED chat in a pub to any coach, player or even spectators for that matter. But when insults fly that is unacceptable.

The person that I assume is in question isn't to flash as a coach anyway, so if the shoe was on the other foot, i'm sure there is plenty for people around our game to pick the living shit out of his coaching, and as i'm sure you are all aware there is plenty to pick at to. But most people are to professional and mature to do that.

Just my two cents worth.

Reply #231083 | Report this post

hops 64  
Years ago

I am sure the office for Rec & Sport (SASI) would certainly not support his antics. He like all SASI coaches receives payment for all so called "voluntary hours".

This coach is a disgrace & should be removed! It shouldn't matter what club he is associated with, show some back bone BSA.

Reply #231085 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

When did "insults fly" come in to this? All I've read was that he bailed the ref up, but now he was insulting him too. Are people embellishing on this story to suit their purpose, just like the ref did in his report of the coach?

Reply #231091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2

I don't think when you 'bail' some up you are asking for there address to send the flowers.

Reply #231092 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

No, but you can also be getting your point across without throwing insults. To me, bailing someone up is getting their attention and making sure they listen to what you have to say. I don't think insults have to be part of it.

Reply #231094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TC2 - I agree.

FWIW, the coach who talked to the ref at the pub is not the same person originally mentioned in this topic.

Reply #231110 | Report this post

ffred  
Years ago

Can someone enlighten me, Is this NG at Sturt, the father of Darren and Marcus? Or is there another relative Ng coach associated with the club? Thanks!

Reply #231118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting,
I watched this game and watched what happened.
The coach in question at no time used any offensive language, he did not hunt the ref down, and did not attack the ref.
He asked "what for" in my view the ref was after a trophy, and was going out of his way to get it.
I understand that it was video taped as well, if that video was shown at the tribunal, let me say, the ref would have been a little red in the face.
This coach answered these charges in a tribunal, where is the tribunal structure to ask the refs to explain their actions!!
I am sympathetic to most of our refs, but some we would be better off without.

Reply #231121 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

So do we start a thread saying the ref is not a good role model, and is just a coach hater and should be sacked immediately?

Reply #231122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ffred
They are accusing Neil Gliddon and the boys club
Thats my read anyway

Reply #231123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not, he was bragging to every ref at Wayville after he reported him, telling all, how great he was

Reply #231125 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ffred - NG are initials, as indicated above, of one of many polarising figures in the SA basketball community. Darren's father is Chek Ng - completely different person.

Reply #231132 | Report this post

awkward name  
Years ago

(Mod: Post removed. If you were the author and would like to know why, please get in touch. Please be aware that posters who include their email address will be notified of things like this by default.)

Reply #231136 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

"Enough said, now we know who should be sacked by BSA"...For saying "what for"???

Reply #231142 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754