Moses Guthrie
Years ago

NH: Nathan Bock

I've been following the whole Nathan Bock story and it's got me a tad curious. Firstly, I'm an ardent Power fan so I should declare that first up but unlike most Power fans, I have no issue with the Crows. I'm not a fan, but I couldn't care less about them - they're one of the "other 15 teams". Now for what I've heard about the incident. Was out drinking late, had a play fight with a mate, slapped his girlfriend, there was (or wasn't if you believe the pub owner) some damage to a wall, and the rest gets just a bit hazy. The Crows call him in, suspend him indefinitely, fine him the maximum $5000, and order him to do vol work at a womens' shelter.

Now I'm not condoning slapping his girlfriend. That's wrong and in the industry I work in, I've seen the horrific side of DV first hand. But is there a slight over-reaction here? First-time offender, squeaky clean impeccable record, honour roll student etc etc. What ever happened to the club standing by their player? If this was my employee, he would be given all the support in the world for making a mistake. Sure, we would take appropriate action but he's also one of us and there would be no public hanging. Assuming his girlfriend hasn't laid charges against him, wouldn't the club be better served by saying .....

"Nathan's been a wonderful player and role model over many years but on this occasion, has made a mistake. To that end, we will stand by him through this and work with him through the problem. We will not however, bow to the wishes of those who want to publicly execute footballers for making a mistake. We all make mistakes. He will work with our club to learn and correct this mistake but from there, this is a private matter and I will not detail any of this here today - or maybe ever - but for obvious reasons, this will be discussed in detail confidentially with the AFL. We will stand by him during the court case and will consider an appropriate penalty (ie suspension, fine etc) AFTER that time. Until then, Nathan is innocent until proven guilty and as we don't wish to influence the court case in any way, there will be no further comment on the matter. Thank you."

I don't know the guy but it just seems to me that he's being unfairly hung out to dry. Watching Triggy say he's put the club in jeopardy had me thinking ..... we'll have him at Alberton. Gun player and great guy who just made a mistake. Let he who is without slapping and play fighting throw the first stone.

What do you think?

PS. Come to think of it, I can't wait for Rebecca Wilson to follow my lead and write this article, word for word, in Saturday's Advertiser. And watch out for those flying pigs folks!

Topic #19512 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the property damagewas to a bag, not a wall?

Reply #230983 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agree, Guthrie. Either there is more to this story than what has been reported or Bockie has been hung out to dry. Penalty seems excessive based on what has been reported to date

Reply #230984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if she was asking for it??

Reply #230987 | Report this post

Happy  
Years ago

I am also a power supporter. I think the way the Crows have handled this has been spot on.

What ever happened it was obviously worthy of being arrested.

I applaud the Crows for taking such a hard line.

IMO they have sent a loud & clear message to their players that if they act up in public, they will pay the price.

Lets not adopt the NRL's "oh there just boys letting off a bit of steam" approach.

Well done crows management...OMG! I cant believe I just said that.

Reply #230988 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I don't want to sound overly precious but he hit his girlfriend - not cool at all. Plus he hit her in plain view of other people. Plus he was arrested.

This has be reported in all the papers and on TV all over Australia. He has bought the club into some level of disprepute.

The footy club has to make a stance that hitting woman and being arrested is not on.

I think what he got is about right for the footy club to save a bit of face.

Reply #230991 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If only the crows were owned by Seamus McPeake hey?

There are a lot of cover up / damage control issues that AFL and Rugby have to deal with. This one happened in public and in front of witnesses.

Can some one clarify how you would be arrested in this situation. Would the girlfriend have had to say lock him up or would the fuzz arrest him and then sought out what happened afterwards?

Reply #230995 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

He mistook her Gucci for a speedball , if anything we should be applauding his work ethic . trying to get in some extra training on a night out no less .

Reply #230999 | Report this post

feral WAGS  
Years ago

Chalrie slapped Nathan first for talking to another female, then he retaliated by throwing his drink on her. She moved backward to avoid the drink and fell over, hence "damaging" her hand bag!! Yes, he was carrying on like a tool for the best part of the night but this did not involved any misconduct with his girlfriend. She was very highly intoxicated, as well as Bock.
I am a female, and obviously don't tolerate any sort of voilence on women, however some women can not have double standards and think it is ok to assault a male, just as she did prior to any actions from Bock. For something so minor, for something she initiated and placed contact first, she has now completely tarnished his reputation on the largest and most looked down public front possible. What makes that right?! Where is the assault charge for her?!

Reply #231001 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think that he has to do volunteer work in a women's shelter is a bit wrong. Women go to those places to get away from violent blokes, not have them volunteer there.

Reply #231004 | Report this post

feral WAGS  
Years ago

He did not place a hand on her DB5!! This is the stupid thing. Why isn't she up on charges? Why doesn't she have to work at a men's shelter? She physically hit him.

Reply #231006 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Guess he'll be taking 'Smack my bitch up' off his I-pod for pre game listening

Reply #231007 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I don't want to sound overly precious but he hit his girlfriend - not cool at all. Plus he hit her in plain view of other people.

Yeah....keep it in the privacy of your own home, like I do.

Reply #231009 | Report this post

Dog 13  
Years ago

feral WAGS - did you witness it, or speak to someone who did?

Why would the club fine & suspend him if the charges of assualt are going to be laughed out of court (which they will be if what you said happened, actually did)?

Reply #231020 | Report this post

feral WAGS  
Years ago

The club HAS to do this, a club can not be seen to let off a player for such "behaviours". If the media are hounding him for female violence.. The club has to cover it's own arse and act in such a way. Time will tell when she drops charges and he is found not guilty

Reply #231021 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Actually the club doesn't have to do anything. Only perception that it will damage the club. They could get away with saying it is a matter for the police, the end

Reply #231022 | Report this post

feral WAGS  
Years ago

The club would get absolutely slammed for not taking action, especially in society today and the magnified lives of the nation's athletes.

Reply #231025 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I guess it will all come out then fW. If what you are saying is true, this will get laughed out of court.

Reply #231028 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

A few of you are saying that he hit his girlfriend. Unless I missed something, that hasn't been proven at all. What Feral WAGS posted seems to be story going around, so in fairness to Nathan, we should all lay off that accusation.

But that lots do believe that he hit his girlfriend is probably why the club did need to do something. I assume they can't come out and say directly what happened (as was the case on 5aa last night with Steven Trigg), so until things settle, Nathan is a (fairly or, more likely, unfairly) woman basher and a drunk, idiot footballer.

It might not be the case with all - be that women, sponsors, whoever - but you'd assume that at least some would be pretty angry if Nathan was let off lightly after being charged with what he was charged. Hence, the club needed to show that it was being pro-active and set an example. They probably have caved under the media pressure that all sports clubs face these days, but that's how it is.

Reply #231035 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Congrats to the crows.

It would appear that Nathan has accepted that he acted inappropriately and has also accepted his punishment.

If the NRL clubs had handled similar situations the way the Crows have done, we would not be seeing the endless assualt, bad behaviour, and rape charges that occur regularly. The NRL and its clubs have been soft and are paying the price.

Bock has accepted he was wrong, has apologised and is being punished and will hopefully come out of it a better man.

tens of thousands of football fans (particuarly teenagers/young men)have seen that his actions are not acceptable and will hopefully learn from it.

One of the saddest things in our world is that we use sports people and "celebreties" as role models, when a decent parent will always be the best role model. however..if we are going to use them..then this seems to be the way to do so.

As, a man, a parent, and a port fan i congratulate the crows.

Reply #231046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think they did the correct thing even if it does turn out to not be that much or mis reported. But i dont agree that kids/teens will learn anything from this, i dont think football players influence kids on matters like this, parents do.

Reply #231054 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Nathan Bock is one of the quality people in our 2 Adel. clubs and although done wrong I dont think it is as bad as being reported and the Crows are being over re active because of the precious AFL protecting their name asgainst the NRL shenanigans.
Move on Crows get the truth and do what you would have done 2-3 years ago not grandstand because the AFL want to send a message . These are individuals we are dealing with here and I am sure his girlfriend doesnt want this blown out of proportion any more.

Reply #231062 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

The police weren't going to lay any charges from what I've heard, and the club was not going to take any action, but then a rumour surfaced that his girlfriend actually refereed a sports match about 8 years ago, and we all know that doing anything to an umpire is just the worst thing in the world, especially when it's done at a pub.

Reply #231065 | Report this post

feral WAGS  
Years ago

The police were actually attending a job just outside of the pub when the girlfriend came running out of the pub crying. They asked what had happened and thats when she reported him. They had no choice but to act on what she had just accused him of, what ever that was; I hate to think considering the state she was in.. overwhelmingly drunk and upset that she just had a heated argument with her boyfriend. I actually feel for the poor bloke, he does not deserve this at all.

Reply #231082 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Don't know if Mr.Simon Goodbet is the one to be speaking out about tarnishing the brand of the club.
He doesn't slap women he just illegally gambles on footy and grabs reporters by the throat with threats to .... them after an all night bender .
Not having a go at him personally as all reports are he is a good bloke but how much wait can his words carry after his numerous indiscretions of the past .

Reply #231157 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

hmm , wait ? weight is more like it .

Reply #231158 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

not sure this will get laughed out of court.. throwing a drink in someone's face is assault. Slap on the wrist is all he'll get in court, if that, but to say it will get laughed out of court is a bit silly

Reply #231161 | Report this post

Unley  
Years ago

A violent assult would get less coverage and penalty.. The truth will get hidden behind the bullshit of this. Right or Wrong, Bock is a dead duck from now on due to this..... Shit like this happens hundreds of times on a Saturday night in Adelaide pubs each weekend.

Reply #231162 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I think that he has to do volunteer work in a women's shelter is a bit wrong. Women go to those places to get away from violent blokes, not have them volunteer there.
Mad props to DB5 for the good early call:

Women's shelters close door on Bock

The Adelaide Crows on Monday announced the 50 hours of community service at a women's shelter as part of Bock's penance for the alleged assault.

But women's shelters were quick to condemn the idea as "inappropriate", prompting a quick clarification of the "misunderstanding" from the Crows.

Reply #231260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many people still think its okay to slap a woman around. The original poster doesn't condone it but actually does just that, by suggesting its a massive over reaction.The inference is a little slap wont hurt em.
We all have to condemn this in the strongest possible way and not make or infer excuses for Bock. I wish his recovery path well but I feel for the woman he smashed more as she is largely overlooked as the victim.
All the coverage is about a high profile footballer and how sad it is he made a mistake.Once again the inference is, she should have just taken it and not made a fuss because unfortunately that's what most women do!
FFS- you make a mistake with change or with your choice of clothes. When you drink until your half cut and can't control your anger, lash out and belt woman, that's not a mistake, that's as weak as piss and a crime.

Reply #231299 | Report this post

Dog 44  
Years ago

231299 - allegedly.
One poster has suggested that the only physicality was from the G/F towards Nathan.

Until all the facts are told, i'll hold my judgement.

Reply #231311 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

299 - I don't think the inference is that it's ok to slap a woman around. I think what people are saying is that there is a difference between the drunken altercation between both Bock and his girlfriend, and those blokes that regularly punch up their woman because they've had a skinful. I don't think there is anything in the original post that says anything even close to "a little slap wont hurt them."

Reply #231316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754