Isaac
Years ago

North Melbourne rubber chicken video

First, the Bock incident, and now some juvenile video by other AFLers. The rugby codes aren't free of it either.

Just thinking - is it the team size that contributes to these troubles for the AFL? In the NBL, you have 10-12 players ranging from, say, 18-35. Perhaps half of many given teams are down the track a bit and distracted by planning or raising a family? Is it harder for laddish feedback-loop-driven cultures to develop in smaller numbers?

If it's not team size and dynamics, what might contribute to the sorts of problems we see reported? Are they simply getting more publicity? Is it a result of greater and more subservient female attention as a result of that publicity?

Is it a case of, as Victorian band Airbourne titled their song, Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast?

Topic #19535 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

It depends on whether you think the North Melbourne video was that bad or not. Sorry to bring it up again, but I'm sensing a tad of an over-reaction (refer to the previous Nathan Bock post). Was in poor taste and the song selection was terrible but boys are boys. And who's to say the chicken didn't consent?

What contributes to the sort of problems? Publicity. If it wasn't AFL or NRL or a big-name sport, you probably wouldn't hear a thing about it. These sorts of videos are made every day. Go surfing YouTube sometime.

Reply #231334 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

From what I understand, the full video was VERY demeaning to women and highlighted the AFL Players habit of treating females like "meat".

IF that is the case, then, yes, it's fair that they be brought to answer for it.

IF it is just childish humour then, for gods sake, just leave it at that.

And yes, Isaac......too much, too young, too fast. I'd suggest it could start to become an issue with the younger stars in our league too.

Reply #231339 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I think the age is a bit different, realistically there are only one or 2 players in a team under say 23. AFL would have 10-15. I think that the video was just young blokes messing around.

Reply #231346 | Report this post

Its due to AFL having such a mass is the market that the story sells. There are bball players that have messed up just as much but it doens't make huge headlines. Eg; Jason Harvey / Ben Cousins. Jason Harvey = Who???? Cousins = every bloke, his dog and his dog's litter knows! At the end of the day, it's what sells papers as to how big things get blown out of proportion etc etc!

Reply #231358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Harvey and Bryant Matthews both got publicity for discretions but they've been the only notable issues I can think of in some time.

Reply #231359 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

It is really just stupidity in both these recent incidents .

Firstly if you are desperate enough frequent the Havelock and get on one then leave your Missus at home , it will always end up tears.

If you are gonna use silly sexual innuendo and in house jokes at the expense of a poor rubber chicken then keep it in the change rooms and certainly don't record it for the world to see.

Reply #231366 | Report this post

Girl Power  
Years ago

I find the whole thing an absolute beat up by the media and an over reaction by all who say they are offended by the video.

If anyone is truly offended by the scenes depicted in the video then I say, grow up and get a life. If you really need to complain about an aspect of the video, surly the music used is worse than the footage its self .There are really more pressing issues to get steamed up about.

The reason we have all these "interest" groups coming out and condemning the football club and the video is purely because they know damn well that the North Melbourne FC is looking to make this "go away" by donating a large amount of cash to those groups that say they are most offended by it.

GET A LIFE!

Reply #231369 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

North Melbourne are crying out for money, maybe re badge them as the rubber chicken roos..

Reply #231371 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more Same same but Difference.....

Who is this 'Jason' Harvey whos involved with Ben Cousins....

Maybe the Blaze will look to sign him next to James ;)

Reply #231372 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

well said GP .

Reply #231374 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A very stupid video.

Isaac is on the mark with what he says.

Believe it or not, I would suggest that the IQ of the average basketballer is higher than the average footballer. Also, with women playing alongside the men, women around the average basketball club are on a par with men, rather than in a male only footy club where the only women in the place are behind the bar, or the netty girls.

Reply #231392 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

25 years ago players could get away with murder on and off field, there was no where near this much media scrutiny, I don't see this generation as being any worse, they just get picked up for it. IMO this one is a massive media beat up, sure it's a stupid childish video, but come on, is it really worth the national media coverage it's getting? No way.

BTW, that song always reminds me of this Chris Rock bit, warning, there's a bit of choice language

Reply #231411 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Bock would be rapt.....its taken the heat of him

Reply #231453 | Report this post

Homer  
Years ago

How can a rubber chicken and a frozen/thawed out chicken possibly be regarded a insulting to women or be regarded as promoting violence against women? This PC world is just getting more and more stupid every day. These footballers, and we all know the mentality of footballers, whether they are AFL, SANFL, WAFL, VFL, local level or even the grass roots level, they just made a p1ss take video for their own viewing. Some wowser put it on Youtube and now it is blown way out of proportion. And I mean WAY OUT !!!
What gets me is these lesb1ans are offended with a stupid video but they allow the "Up your nose and away it goes" adds to be on radio and TV nearly every add break without saying as much as a BOO !!! These adds, broadcast in times when my seven year old asks "what does that mean Dad?" even use words like ERECTION and EJACULATION and frases like "Cumming first"
Geez, these protesters have got to harden the f**k up.

Reply #231535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754