LC
Years ago

Portsmouth Invitational Tournament: Aron Baynes

The PIT is now underway, a tournament for seniors graduating after the NCAA basketball season.

Both Aussies Aron Baynes and Luke Nevill were invited to play. Nevill declined his invitation.

Baynes is playing for "K&D Round's Landscaping" and had figures as follows after 2 games:

Game 1: 8 pts (4/8 FG), 11 reb, 2 ass in 21 min
Game 2: 6 pts (3/5 FG), 8 reb, in 20 min
Game 3: To be played on Sunday AEST

Here is a link to the tournament bracket: http://linky.com.au/vg3lh

Topic #19555 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Nevill decline? Did he feel it would not help his stock to get some extra exposure infront of a large group of NBA and top euro execs?

Reply #231545 | Report this post

stellation  
Years ago

Nevill declining is very, very interesting IMO.

Reply #231552 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Interesting to see St. Marys player, Diamon Simpson, in there too. What do you think his chances of been drafted are? IMO he will go to Europe..

Reply #231557 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Nevill's reasoning is probably sound - his individual workouts (i'd imagine he wILL have a few - with his size and tools) are going to be what makes or breaks him.
The PIT sounds like a glorified basketball carnival how many guys have been picked up on the basis of a strong PIT performance anyway?
He's probably better off working out to get the things that are going to be examined during his workouts nailed down. If he goes to PIT he can only hurt his stock anyway (everyone knows what he can do - there's plenty of tape of him as well) - so why do it?

Reply #231558 | Report this post

stellation  
Years ago

Johnny- not disagreeing that his reasons for skipping it are probably sound. Why I think it is interesting is I'm guessing that skipping it means one of the following
1. he's already lined up a silly number of workouts
2. he's already had a word from a team who are willing to commit to taking him with a second rounder (it'd be a bit early for that)
3. he's got a Euro commitment
all of which are big for Luke. If he doesn't have any of the above, not playing (assuming he's healthy/there isn't another reason to skip) is silly.

PIT is an important tourney to play at, they get a lot of Euro scouts there along with the NBA guys. Players aren't drafted to the NBA based on performances there, but they do certainly earn themselves workouts with NBA teams. My understanding is that players do earn European contracts based on PIT play.
I would have thought the Ingles, if serious, should have been playing there?

SKUX101: I'd be very suprised to see Diamon Simpson get drafted, I like his game a lot (he hussles his arse off) but I doubt he's in the mix for a lot of NBA teams. He should have a long pro career in Euro/Aust(assuming we have one!) calibre leagues though.

Reply #231560 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Ingles will not be drafted. Seriously, he has such a small chance(like 0.0001). Scouts and NBA Team personell will overlook him immediately. He will be put in the same situation as Newley, as he was overlooked because he played in the NBL and not because of his future potential. Once they hear that he played in the Australian League they won't be interested. Also, he isnt doing enough to get his name out there..Stellation, i agree with you..Can't see why Ingles wouldn't want to be at the PIT. He would get good court time too, because looking at the box scores, it seems as though the mins. are shared and everyone gets a good opportunity to showcase their skill. Ingles would suit that structure too, because he can really work hard and raise the intensity, knowing that he won't be on the court the entire game..He could play in spurts which suit him best IMO.

Reply #231563 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

I don't think Ingles had the opportunity to get into Portsmouth, skux. Without having a really close look at it, I can't remember there being any Euros/internationals being invited to the tournament, it is typically (or especially) for college seniors. Internationals go to the (Benetton?) EuroCamp.

Also, to say that players haven't been drafted based on the PIT is a fallacy - in recent years you've had Jason Maxiell, Orien Greene, Stephen Graham who have impressed at the PIT and have gone on to the NBA based on those performances.

Reply #231564 | Report this post

stellation  
Years ago

Actually you're right re: ingles tickle and skux was just responding to my comment, PIT is a college seniors only gig.

Reply #231569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Portsmouth-Invitational-Tournament-Day-One-3170/

Draft express are doing great daily wrap ups. This is the first one. Has some great stuff about players choosing not to come and pulling out and some NBA execs thoughts on the matter. Well worth a read, especially for those saying this won't mean a whole lot for Nevill's chances.

Reply #231596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmmm...interesting wording in that post after giving it a re-read. "choosing not to come and pulling out", maybe Shawn Kemp and a few others could've used this advice early in their career...

Reply #231597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754