march madness
Years ago

limestone coast at state champs?

state or reserves?

any other country conglomerations on the way?

Topic #19566 | Report this topic

Camel 95  
Years ago

BSA have denied Limestone (and any other country based teams) from entering state champs this year.

Reasons un-disclosed, but it's probably their way of trying to play 'hard-ball' with SAC.

Reply #231708 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Have a check Camel 95- Whyalla, Pt Augusta, Eyre Peninsulsa & Limestone Coast are all listed in the 'pool groups' which suggests that they are participating

Reply #231725 | Report this post

Leopard 11  
Years ago

Thats last years state champs info. Look at the date 2008.

Reply #231727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Limestone isn't a club or association which is why they have been denied entry. Any Country Association is able to submit a team to State Champs but combined teams are not allowed.

That would be like South and Southern saying hey we can win on our own lets merge and submit combined teams so we can be more successful.

The fact Limestone were allowed to play was to encourage participation but they became too strong for their own good and the actual clubs/associations forced BSA to deny their entry in 2009.

Reply #231731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. South and Southern can not win on their own.
2. South and Southern still would not win anything even if they combined.

Reply #231741 | Report this post

Bahahahahahahaha  
Years ago

"Limestone became too strong for their own good"

Bahahahahahahaha!!!! BULLSHIT

Not on the teams that i played we weren't. I think the highest div we were ever in was div 2 and we never made it past the first elimination final.

Reply #231749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there will be country teams in SA Champs at some stage...not from my previous region this time round, but nxt season i can see it...where there's a rule, theres a way to bend it like beckham!

Reply #231799 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Is BSA sending the Country Association a subtle message??? - If you want to play with the big boys, pay like the big boys

Reply #231809 | Report this post

hood 75  
Years ago

Like BSA has always paid it's way Pffft!

Reply #231851 | Report this post

Bahahahahahahaha  
Years ago

Our problem was that the best players in the limestone coast didn't really want to play for limestone coast, we really only want to play for our town association. I reckon Mt. Gambier would be pretty good in div 2.

Reply #231869 | Report this post

Camel 95  
Years ago

hanging round - that's the second post you've had in this thread that doesn't quite hit the mark.

BSA didn't price Limestone (or anyone other country team) out of state champs, they just flat out refused them entry.

BSA, as their name suggests, should be allowing all SA kids to compete, not just the district teams.

Reply #231870 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

I am not referring to BSA pricing Country out of State Champs, but perhaps the reluctance of Country to pay affiliation fees to BSA has 'assisted' BSA in their decision making.

My first error was silly of me- of course I should expect BSA to have 2008 poolings on display 11 months after the event. Sorry

Reply #231893 | Report this post

Camel_95  
Years ago

All SA basketball clubs and associations affiliated (as Country associations are) are able to compete in the SA State Junior Championships as far as I know.

But Limestone Coast is not a club or an association is it? It is club? I don't believe it is either, its a joint venutre for this one tournament from 3 or 4 associations.

Reply #231896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry that was for Camel_95 not from Camel_95

Reply #231897 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I believe the issue is that BSA are running the championships and thus the kids playing should be associated with BSA.

From what I understand, BSA has asked Country to register their players with BSA at $9 each, however, SAC has not done this and are semingly refusing to do so. As a result, BSA has lost patience with SAC and only kids registered with BSA are eligible to play.

I know there are plenty of punters smarter than me on this forum, and plenty who have their fingers on the pulse - perhaps someone could confirm this?

Reply #231898 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

PS Rumour has it that Strath would trounce those Coasters any day

Reply #231899 | Report this post

Someone Else  
Years ago

Doesn't seem like a state championships with only one Country side though... Does it?

Reply #231902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA is the peak body for SA
BSA runs the State Champs
State Champs Bi-laws clearly state that only registered members can play.
Can someone from the country tell us if you pay registration fee to BSA as well as BA
Metro players pay both, I am keen to know if country members do

Reply #231903 | Report this post

Bahahahahahahaha  
Years ago

PS, Strath are gay.

Strath would probably be able to beat Limestone Coast as we don't attract the best players from the region to play, but the Mt. Gambier squad is an actual team (which is more than what i can say for strath) and would (and have) beat them.

Reply #231908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Limestone are not playing because Limestone is not a club or an Association, its a combination of many associations. That's the answer to the original post.

In regards to country teams in general I would assume there are many factors as to why so few country teams compete.

First of all it's not a long weekend making it very difficult for families to make the trip.

A number of country players also play for district clubs who apply a huge amount of pressure on these players to compete at state champs with their district clubs, not their country associations.

Most Country associations do not feel they can compete in State grade and therefore their only option is to nominate in reserves. Its a big cost and commitment to play in the second grade of a competition.

And the underlying political reason being the country associations are built on the belief they are members of SA Country, which is an assocation in its own respect, equal to BSA which most country associations consider a metropolitan association.

Reply #231910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting reply.
I take from your post that SAC is considered an equal peak body to BSA by most country associations.
Can you please explain why SA Country holds a 30% vote on the BSA council, and has a rep on the board, if it is just a Metro body.
So, if I have this right, SAC looks after country and BSA has no input or voying rights, where SAC have a 30% vote on what the country associations call the metro bosy.
Further, Metro clubs pay fees to BSA and SAC members do not.
Help me out, how does that work?????

Reply #231925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754