Mr Blackwell
Years ago

For Free Throws, 50 Years of Practice Is No Help

Interesting article from The New York Times about how free throw percentages have not improved over 50 years:

http://linky.com.au/8qvq8

Basketball in the United States has changed in myriad ways over the decades, from flat-footed set shots to dunks, from crotch-hugging uniforms to baggy knee-length shorts, from the dominance of American players to the recent infusion of international stars.

But one thing has remained remarkably constant: the rate at which players make free throws.

Since the mid-1960s, college men's players have made about 69 percent of free throws, the unguarded 15-foot, 1-point shot awarded after a foul. In 1965, the rate was 69 percent. This season, as teams scramble for bids to the N.C.A.A. tournament, it was 68.8. It has dropped as low as 67.1 but never topped 70.

Topic #19577 | Report this topic

playtime  
Years ago

they need to bring back that Rick Barry (father of Jon & Brent) free throw I once saw in some really really old footage ... they said he shot 99% or something like that

Reply #231861 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

THE COMMENT ON RICK BARRY MADE ME RESEARCH IT A BIT MORE AND FOUND THIS:

He was a deadly free-throw shooter, using an odd, outdated underhand style. At the time of his retirement, Barry's .900 career free-throw percentage was the best in NBA history. In one season, 1978-79, he missed only 9 free-throw attempts.

9 MISSES IN 80+ GAMES IS PHENOMENAL!!!

SINCE THEN, ONLY SOUTH DRAGONS FORMER COACH, MARK PRICE IS HIGHER WITH:
Mark Price 2,135 from 2,362 attempts @ 90.4%
Rick Barry 3,818 from 4,243 attempts @ 90.0%

TAKE WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF THE FACT HE SHOT NEARLOY DOUBLE THE FREE THROWS OVER HIS CAREER.

FYI - STEVE NASH IN 3RD WITH 89.3%

Reply #231866 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'm crap lol

Reply #231876 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

The Rick Barry underarm bizzo would be equated to the leading AFL goal kicker using the drop kick there whole career and achieving a similar standing.

Amazing touch and feel pardon the pun to achieve those % numbers .

When younger FWIW and obviously very bored , me used to have FT shooting comps , The Norm vs Rick Barry Unders . RBU came close a few times , maybe somewhat sympathetically .

Reply #231895 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754