Kent Brockman
Years ago

Are the Celts done? Powe now gone too

He tore a ligament in his knee and kept playing for 3 minutes, that is pretty tough in my book.

http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/04/21/powe.injury.ap.ap/index.html

Topic #19616 | Report this topic

playtime  
Years ago

he could always do a Paul Pierce resurrection from injury thing ...

Reply #232330 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

it doesn't matter about Powe... if big baby keeps putting up 21 shots a game they won't get out of the first round!

he won't keep shooting that percentage!

Reply #232331 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I thought the question "Are the Celts done?" was definitively answered when KG went down, personally. Losing Powe isn't merely another blow to their fortunes; it's just a footnote on the obituary which has already been written. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Reply #232338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A team with a big man rotation of Perkins, Davis, Moore and Scalabrine is gonna struggle to get past Chicago I think.

Reply #232339 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I agree with hereschenes. Without KG they were always going to struggle. I think they are still a chance of making it to the East finals given they have two All Stars in Pierce and Allen as well as Rondo (who will be an All Star within a year or two - and is playing like one at the moment). Obviously the bigs are a bit of an issue but they do play hard. Given that Orlando are pretty banged up and they have got the better of Philly recently (without KG) I think they COULD get thru to meet the Cavs. But - they need to get the Bulls first which will be tough. This series could easily be 2-0 in either teams favour right now. Bring on Game 3!

Reply #232342 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Yeah, agree with that TMC. I should have added before, I don't mean that they're no chance against the Bulls, but I do think that they're no chance of taking it all again this year. Boston with The Big Three(TM) is a completely different proposition to Boston with The Reasonably-Large Two.

Reply #232350 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I still think they should beat the Bulls, but boy are they in a series. Without KG, the Celtics no longer have enough interior D to corral guys when they frequently get by their man. That is forcing them to drop off their man a little more, and that means a jumpshooting team like the Bulls is getting a lot better looks at the basket.

On the other side of the coin, the Bulls can't defend the Celtics either, because they can't keep them off the offensive glass (they had 16 more shots in game 2) and they can't stop Rondo. If the Celtics make the right adjustments, Allen and Pierce should get a lot more open looks as well.

So basically this series is going to be a shootout. Number one, Ray Allen has to play better D on Gordon. If the Celtics can't do a better job of forcing Gordon towards the help defence with Ray on him, they might have to try Tony Allen, and go small with Ray v Salmons at the 3 and Pierce at the 4.

Number two, the Celtics guards have to be in position to defend the fast break, or Rose will have another night out.

Number three, Celtics bigs have to stop the stupid moving pick and pushing fouls. Bulls only stayed in game two because of foul shots and Ben Gordon's 3 point shooting.

As far as the championship goes, the Celtics have been done since KG was shut down for the second time. But as a Celtics fan, I'm still enjoying this series with the Bulls. Game two was an absolute cracker, with the Bulls taking some big shots from the Celtics and punching back, before Ray managed to win a classic shootout with Gordon at the end. Who could ask for more?

Reply #232351 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Wouldn't lose too much sleep about Gordon, BT. I mean, he was lights-out in game two, but he's just as likely to stink it up for game three... he's way too erratic. Just look at his FGM-A stats across the season - all over the place!

http://linky.com.au/3dpmi

Reply #232379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the big stocks are low but i think they can get past this round, not sure how deep we can go now though. As for Big Bays we worked on the shot a whole bunch and now his is pretty solid from mid range playing that deep 2 that KG likes.

Reply #232400 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

here's the test for Doc, I'm still not sold on him been a "great" coach, if he still leads Boston to a C, then I'll give it to him...

Reply #232435 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I think if e can get them to the conference Finals then he deserves his props. Jackson, Riley Sloan or whoever else would be lucky to go further than that with that team.

Reply #232437 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Tough criteria there LA! Do you think Phil Jackson or Pat Riley would get the same Celtics team to the champhionship with the injuries they've had? I give them no chance!

If Doc gets them to the conference finals against Cleveland he will well and truly have earned his stripes amongst the NBA rank and file IMO.

Reply #232748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754