Isaac
Years ago

Ricky Rubio to stay in NBA Draft 09

Ricky Rubio, the Spanish point guard sensation that has been compared to everyone from Pete Maravich to Steve Nash will declare for the 2009 NBA draft, his agent, Dan Fegan, told ESPN.com from Barcelona Monday afternoon.
"Ricky will be in the 2009 draft," Fegan said. Fegan has been in Barcelona this week meeting with Rubio and his family trying to come to a decision.
The 6-foot-4, 180-pound point guard from Barcelona has been a starter in the best basketball league in Europe since the age of 16.
This season he's averaging 10 points per game and six assists per game in the Spanish League in about 22 minutes per game.
Full story at ESPN

Any reasons why he wouldn't stay in the draft?

Topic #19617 | Report this topic

Run TMC  
Years ago

His Euro contract has a clause that basically says if he leaves for the NBA he has to pay them a certain amount (anyone know how much it actually is?). His NBA team is only allowed to pay $500k of that meaning he would have to pay the rest out of his own pocket. I think if he waits until next year his Euro contract will have expired (?)

Maybe he could ask the team that drafts him to find him an endorsement deal to cover the difference. I'm assuming he could always decide to stay in Europe even if he does get drafted this year and avoid the payout?

Reply #232341 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

ricky like pat showed everybody wat up in the Olympics

Reply #232355 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I don't think he'll care if he has to part with some cash to play in the NBA, I'm pretty sure they get paid ok lol

Reply #232372 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

there are caps for rookies tho...he will need to pay from endorsements...which he will get plenty of..

Reply #232404 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

He has an $8mil buyout at the moment and he would be on $3mil or so per year if he goes top 5.

He just sign Dan Fegan as he agent and will be looking to squeeze a discount out of his Spanish club.
Which may need the cash.

If he can get it down to $4-5mil and spread it out over a few years it would make it easier to move to the NBA.

Otherwise I believe he is free to leave next year.
But teams may be reluctant to draft him if he hasn't sorted it out before draft day.

Who would want to use a top 10 pick on a player that stays in Europe????
Hey Orlando!!!! ;)

Reply #232405 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Make that $6mil and a discount next year :)

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-April-22-3189

"Spanish newspaper "Marca" broke the not very surprising news yesterday that Ricky Rubio will be entering his name in this year's draft. Rubio's buyout situationhe has two years left on his contract, and will need to pay 6 million dollars to free himselfremains unresolved, though, meaning still needs to reach an agreement with his team, DKV Joventut, if he's to play in the NBA next year."

Reply #232411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that his name has only been entered to spike up some flagging interest in this years draft class. NBA need some international interest and intrigue as well.

That's me with my conspiracy hat on. I just somehow get the feeling though, that this has all been pre-arranged somehow, the buyout will happen or go away.

His gametime and numbers don't look all that good, was he injured for a lot of the year or something, or does he come off the bench? Either way, doesn't really inspire confidence, wonder why he is rated so highly? Just on the back of his Olympics.. interesting.

Reply #232432 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

40 min games make a difference to stats. Brandon Jennings stats are much worse and he is expected to be in the lottery. What are Childress' numbers over there like? That would be an interesting comparison.

Reply #232436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

232432 - yes, injured. Wrist/arm or something similar.

What makes him such a prospect is his age (19?), and years playing pro-ball in Euro already.

Euro ball is different to NBA remember, stats often don't translate directly due to many factors, ie, style of play, length of games?, positions, roles etc.

Reply #232438 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

10 points, 6 assists and 2 steals, in just 22 minutes, in probably the best league in Europe are some pretty good numbers.

432, he's been highly rated for a few years now - he absolutely dominated all junior ranks (he racked up a quadruple double once at an U16 Euro champs) and has been getting decent minutes in the Euroleague since he was 16. Certainly not rated on only his Olympics.

Reply #232447 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

His current team are going to play hard ball on letting him out of his contract...

FIBA link: http://linky.com.au/tw21z

"DKV Joventut made it clear once again on Tuesday morning that Ricky Rubio will not leave the Spanish outfit for the NBA unless it receives $6million as stipulated in the 18-year-old's buyout clause."

Some fun and games coming up!

Reply #232454 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Flagging interest...????

Let me mention some names.... Blake Griffin, Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, Rubio..... some NBA ready players..... this years draft will be one of the better ones of recent years.

Reply #232539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from Blake Griffin, seriously nothing. LMAO on Hansborough, that is a good one.
yawwnnn

Reply #232580 | Report this post

jalcalde  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5mpST596qU

Reply #232908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754