Jonno
Years ago

Funny 36ers at risk: Hemmerling cannot afford guarantee

according to todays advertiser the 36ers are at risk as hemmerling cant provide the $1 mil guarantee!
SOS to guys like Mark Lewis, Chris Fuss, Sam Shahin and any other wealthy person interested in the 36ers, please please buy the team even as a consourtium and if Mal wont sell or wants too much $$$ go straight to the NBL with a bid for a new adelaide team, just so we have a team in the NBL!

(obviously i want the team to be the 36ers, but if thats not possible any team is better than no team)

(Mod: hereschenes has provided a link: Article here)

Topic #19629 | Report this topic

NVS  
Years ago

I think you will find that discussions have been had a long time ago with all those names mentioned.

Reply #232478 | Report this post

Chuck  
Years ago

Rumor has it that Adelaide is the only team without a million dollar bank deposit. Surely there has to be someone in the area that loves the 36er's!

Reply #232480 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

There probably is plenty of people that love the 6ers but the simple truth is that having the economy the way it is people are less likely to invest in a sporting team is by no means guaranteed to make them money.
In fact they are even less likely to invest in a sporting team that is almost certainly going to lose them money.

Reply #232484 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I have been saying all along in my posts that the current ownership structure cannot come up with a $1 million guarantee. The writing was on the wall after the Hodge pay incident that there were possible cash flow problems & given the lack of talk on trying to lock Luke into another deal todays article comes as no surprise

Maybe we need to look at the Cairns community based ownership structure?

Reply #232485 | Report this post

scooter  
Years ago

Whats to say that names mentions above havn't already tried to to buy the sixers?

Reply #232491 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Here's the article in question:

http://linky.com.au/7w8zj

Reply #232496 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Is this to force BA to accept Shamus's reuests

Reply #232500 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

It is pretty much common knowledge that Chris Fuss was buying it (as reported on here and in the papers before) but pulled out.

And also i imagine the sale price is under the $1m price for a new licence. As nutter said, unfortunately in the current market there wouldnt be too many people interested in buying a sporting team.

Reply #232501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get on your bike Mal.

Reply #232506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are people interested, but Groves's idea of a reasonable price might be a little different. Can't buy it when someone's not selling, and there's no point buying it at the wrong price and impairing your chances of making a good go of it in the process.

Reply #232507 | Report this post

C89  
Years ago

if you can't afford it, sell it. if you can't sell it, make your price more realistic. just don't ruin it for the thousands of people who love the team by holding on until its too late.

Reply #232508 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Groves is probably trying to recoup all his lost dollars from hedge funds via the Sixers!
It sucks bad enough that Brisbane are out and now the Sixers on shaky ground so close to anouncement on the final teams.... I'm starting to think I'm a bad luck charm.

Reply #232512 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea thats why i think if Groves/Hemmerling wont sell for what guys like Fuss, Shahin and Lewis are offering they should go over there head and apply to the NBL either for a seperate license or in the advent of the 36ers collapsing they take it over and buy it from the NBL, assuming that Groves/Hemmerling are asking more than normal license fee. Also if Hemmerling/Groves pull out can the NBL take back the lisence then sell it to one of the others for the normal lisence fee. Im assuming that Hemmerling/Groves are asking a fair bit more than the license fee or a reasonable price else it probably would have been sold.
Groves/Hemmerling have to realise they are not going to get what they paid back for it, and if they dont sell it to the best bidder they'll end up losing their team for nothing.

Reply #232521 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I heard a rumour that Hodge wanted to buy the Sixers!

He was going to be a 1 man show, pay himself, claim he wasn't paid and then quit for not getting paid!!!!

Reply #232522 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jonno, would be a huge risk trying to enter a separate team. What if you commit with the $1m guarantee, only for the existing team to survive? You'd get 500 to games and lose buckets of money.

Reply #232533 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Jonno - As i said i believe the asking price is less than a new licence.

Reply #232540 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Jonno. BIG QUESTION. If a splinter group goes and approaches the NBL? for a licence - and get a licence - WHERE WILL THEY PLAY? And if you say the Entertainment Centre - where will they get a portable basketball court - not cheap - and additional expense.
If you also say ETSA Park - court is not suitable - not enough spectators seating.
It was an interesting idea that you had, but not very well thought out. Try and look at the consequences of your comments before you run off at the mouth.

Reply #232542 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Etsa park has a seating capacity of 3000, Melbourne's capacity is 3500

It would be possible to run a team at etsa park, premium price for premium product. Make it the best (and rarest) ticket in town and you could sell it for a decent price and make money. If you can sell 7000 tickets at $15-$30 I would argue you could sell 3000 tickets at $30-$50 dollars.

Entertainment centre is also an option, I remember going to a game there a while ago, was it the first Sixers vs Crows game? anyone else remember? I know they had a proper court down, don't know where it came from.

Reply #232547 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I was saying it as a desperate measure to keep a nbl team in SA not to oppose or try and replace the 36ers. I hope Hemmerling gets the guarantee sorted with the league and finds new investors to join him or buy the team from him and the 36ers can continue with a great deal of success. I was just saying if he doesnt have the money he should sell to others such as guys who have been mentioned in the past like Shahin, Lewis or Fuss so the club doesnt die.
On another note anyone know whats likely to happen with our roster?? Are key guys like Schenscher and Ballinger going to be sticking around?
I would like us to build on the core we got last season and retain Schenscher, Ballinger, Holmes, Davidson, Bruce, Hill and possibly Kersten, Burdon and Hoban in some capacity if not better options available, Kersten and Burdon seem to be having good SBL seasons.
Add 2 imports to that (if Ballinger is naturalised) and we have the makings of a good team.
Heres hoping that the 36ers get there million dollar guarantee sorted and have the funds to stay out of risk and put a good team together!

Reply #232548 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be a nice touch if Basketball Australia came out and let the public know at some stage what the hell is going on with the League!How long overdue is the process now? To be honest, as keen a supporter as I am, I am very fast losing interest in the game.

Reply #232549 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Maybe us supporters can chip in a mimimum of $50 each to help keep a team in Adelaide.

Maybe Andrew McLeod can throw in some spare cash given he's a regular courtside spectator.

Ask the idiot Lleyton Hewitt for some money.

Thought i'd toss those up for an air ball.

Reply #232550 | Report this post

Bruce Ruxton  
Years ago

Nice One Champ33.... insult one of the few Adelaide identities with some conviction and the sort of funds required to throw at a loss maker for patriotism's sake.

Reply #232552 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

As a desperate measure, would it be workable for the 36ers to go down the Hawks/Taipans path and have community ownership?? Having said that i dont think it would be ideal and would prefer to have say just 1 owner or a small group of owners.

Reply #232553 | Report this post

fox 63  
Years ago

There is a suitable portable court available, the government purchased one last year so the netball could be played at the dome. At least ETSA park doesn't need to be 'dunked in a bucket of domestos'

Reply #232558 | Report this post

no money mal  
Years ago

Wasn't I right earlier in another post - MAL has no money, NEVER has - and I got canned. There will be no sixers this year folks. You in the basketball world need to get a dose of reality - IT is a boys club and a disgrace that the game in this state is run the way it is. WAKE UP and stop being the laughing stock of the game nationally and with other sports. You are second raters.

Reply #232560 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

"no money mal" your a tool, there is no way adelaide will not be represented in a new league

Reply #232565 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

One of the most successful teams in NBL history, a team that has had the best crowd numbers for a long while, how could someone not see a future there, 8400 plus to Brett's farewell. If Mal doesnt sort something out then he may want to move elsewhere quickly as the public anger would not be pretty and could have a ripple effect on whatever else he ATTEMPTS to run.

Reply #232569 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

:(

I fear for the New League..AND for the 36ers

Reply #232575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will be keeping my powder dry on my sponsorship

Reply #232582 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

The way the BA has handled this gives me great concern as to their ability to run the new league. They are asking for teams to guarentee money, without giving the teams answers let alone guarentees as to what they will to do acheive their goals.
Who would invest in a league where the ppl running it have shown they cant do it, and now they are simply asking for more money...for the same crappy standard of mismanagment they have previously had.

How about the BA comes out and shows ppl whay THEY are doing to make sure the league is a success, that their product will be worth something in the future...perhaps then we will have some interest.

Or ofcourse you could be south and perth and just not have to meet the same commitments, err wait are we back to dble standards already??

Reply #232584 | Report this post

no money mal  
Years ago

Obviously kman you are not a business man and have nous in that regards. Your the tool and a spanner at that - loser, just like your team will be. Non existent

Reply #232586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"would be a huge risk trying to enter a separate team. What if you commit with the $1m guarantee, only for the existing team to survive? You'd get 500 to games and lose buckets of money"

I don't know, I reckon another clean sheet bid would have a better chance of surviving if done properly than have to carry all the "baggage" of the current team. A good start would be to pick up all the ex-36er sponsors - there's certainly lots of them.
As long as you have good corporate support (and know how to look after your sponsors) it doesn't matter how many people you get through the door.
I think the Entertainment centre would be asking too much, ETSA park would be the best short term option... and they have decent food !!!
It would be fairly ironic if things went full circle and basketball ended up playing out of a Netball stadium.
What ever happens I don't think the Domes future is looking too bright.

Reply #232596 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mal would have money, just not the sort to shoulder an NBL team on his own and he's admitted that in the press recently.

Entertainment Centre would be an option at a stretch but you'd have to add offices and training facility onto the costs, plus a court. ETSA Park would be remotely feasible but I'm not sure what facilities it has for corporates (e.g., boxes and the like).

No one can make a call either way at this stage on whether there will definitely be an Adelaide team in the NBL. It might be likely one way or another, but it's not guaranteed, and it's certainly not confirmed that they're out.

The 36ers have issued a press release that will be up in the morning - look out for a story from Boti too. It's not really news either way, I'll warn you of that, so don't get your hopes up.

Reply #232597 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If Eddy wants to unload the Dome but can't get his asking price, what is stopping Mal from selling the Sixers and then the new owners paying rent to Eddy until a buyer can be found?

Or is it actually just that Mal can't get his asking price, and the sale of the Dome is just a side issue?

Surely someone can find a way. How can Wollongong and Cairns find the support to survive, but not Adelaide? The mind boggles considering the 36ers have had great crowds by NBL standards and are also one of the most successful teams in league history.

C'mon Mal, find a way to make it happen!

Reply #232599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ETSA park has about half a dozen hospitality suites like the Dome, and also has three meeting rooms abutting the show case court (there are four courts) that can can be opened into one big function room via bi-folding doors... Just check out some of Damrob's Thunderbirds photos to get a better idea of how it's setup - The blackened glass on the southern end is the function room overlooking the main court.
Not sure how they'd go fitting a regulation backboard at the southern end, they'd probably have to move everything a few meters north to have enough room.

Either way, this is assuming that Netball SA would actually want the 36ers to play out of their venue and that the newNBL keeps their season at roughly the same time of year as it was.

Reply #232605 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'Mal would have money, just not the sort to shoulder an NBL team on his own and he's admitted that in the press recently.'

I just wanted him to say that from the start, not two years on and many _ _ _ s later to season ticket holders(members), sponsors, 36ers fans and the public.

Reply #232608 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Former Bullets manager is running the show here, for Mal and Eddy, as Mal is away for 2 weeks.
Maybe the new BA boss, starting on Monday might shed some light on whats going on.

Reply #232617 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Time for Isaac to sell the Ferrari!

Reply #232627 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Should I be holding my breath for today's press conference? Or are we going to hear the same spiel again.

I was genuinely optimistic about the new league, but this is just ridiculous. How can anyone invest $1M in a completely undefined product?

Reply #232648 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, to be fair, he had support from Groves initially, then a bit from Fuss around the time of Hodge's second stint. It's only becoming more of an issue now.

Reply #232652 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'A, to be fair, he had support from Groves initially, then a bit from Fuss around the time of Hodge's second stint. It's only becoming more of an issue now.'
Isaac, what's there to be fair about, why not admit it from the start? When we all knew about it. So what we are saying is that actually it's all been one big lie from day one and most probably an illegal operation in the eyes of the NBL?

Reply #232662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You've just answered your own question.

...why not admit it from the start?
most probably an illegal operation in the eyes of the NBL?
I think illegal is a harsh word to associate with someone in this context, so maybe "against the rules of the league" is better.

Mal was previously chairman of the board of the league. Eddy was a club owner and on the board. Someone else (can't remember the name) was handling the sale and representing Adelaide on the board also. There is/was a rule against one owner having two clubs.

Reply #232677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754