Isaac
Years ago

National anthem at ABL games - yes or no?

Boti Nagy, in this regular Thursday column, makes mention of the regular airing of the Australian national anthem at ABL games before both the women's and men's games.

T remains completely amazing and bemusing that the national anthem is played before every State Basketball League game - that's State - but isn't played before every game at national junior titles such as the 18s currently at Gawler.

Not that it should. Save the anthem for when it's warranted and it is NOT warranted at a single SBL game, let alone twice a night before the women's and men's game.

It made no sense when SA was part of the ABA and positively none now. But the SBL keeps doing it, in the same way sheep follow sheep.
(BTW, here's the rest of his Thursday column with talk of the New NBL, Goorjian, Aussies at college, etc: Hush hush plans? Well let's revisit.)

What are your thoughts? Keep playing the anthem before one games, tweak the habit somehow, or leave it out?

Topic #19634 | Report this topic

nutter  
Years ago

sounds to me like Boti had nothing better to write about. Does it really matter either way? It takes up a whole 2 minutes and shows a bit of respect to the nation. If it doesn't get played so what, if it does... same response.

Reply #232523 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I reckon the national anthem should be saved for the finals only. It is a bit much to go through it every game, and for some 2 games each weekend!

Reply #232529 | Report this post

Anthem  
Years ago

I am very proud to listen to it before every game, as I think should every player.

Reply #232534 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Keep the anthem, it's a tradition

Reply #232535 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I like having the national anthem if i am going to see the Boomers play, but i do not see the point if the comp is ABL or even NBL.

Reply #232536 | Report this post

Bruce Ruxton  
Years ago

I say play the National Anthem before every game, social included!

Reply #232537 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I personally don't believe that it should be played at ABL games. The playing of the anthem and introduction of players (not really needed at ABL games - all that is needed is to introduce the starting five just prior to tip-off), disrupts the warm-up, and I am sure most coaches do not want the interruption. The practice should be kept for games involving National teams (at any level).
When I lived in Canberra WNBL games were played prior to NBL games. The National Anthem was played before both games. I believe that league guidelines (at the time - not sure about now) stated that the anthem was to be played before the game. A senior government official involved with the Cannons and also the protocol dept of the Prime Minister explained that the National Anthem should only be played ONCE on any given night. For those people who state that it's a "tradition" - who says that we have to stay with tradition on all occassions. Most traditions are based on the past and maybe some things need change.

Reply #232541 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

No. They say (in the aftermath of the Mahmoud Abdul Raouf incident) that the National Anthem was played at American sporting matches during the World War (II?) so that people could publicly remember their soldiers. I don't think we need to do that at every game, NBL, ABL or whatever. Leave it for when the Boomers win Gold.

Reply #232545 | Report this post

Bruce Ruxton  
Years ago

^^^^^ So Never Young Gun?

Reply #232546 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I have no problem with it being played before games, but I think it would be better saved to perhaps just finals and any game played on ANZAC day.

Reply #232571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call Bruce Ruxton!

I suggest that somebody in "authoritay" call Canberra and ensure we are following protocol, and make a revised decision based on information received.

LET LOGIC PREVAIL.

Reply #232572 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

keep it every game, its really good :D

Reply #232573 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I get shited off that we continue to quote Boti and most of his crap...specially the Thursday stuff where he has nothing to write but dribble...

Watch his column in the off season, it will be utter tripe!

Next he'll be writing about how he doesn't poach players from other clubs and country associations...

Reply #232587 | Report this post

Supporter  
Years ago

Be proud of your country and play it before every ABA game it is the problem with this country not enough national pride.

Reply #232606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waste of time.

Strong, self-concious Australians know what it means to be Australian (and be proud of it) without the constant need for displays of flag or anthem, and without the need to harp on about national pride and Australian values.

The endless need to repeat the anthem, wave flag, the car stickers about Australian pride, "Love it or leave it" etc only demonstrates insecurity.

Confident proud people don't need these on-going confirmations.

Reply #232621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Supporter - IMO, often the problem in countries is too much national pride!

Reply #232649 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

agree totally play the anthem

Reply #232651 | Report this post

sps  
Years ago

ABSOLUTELY agree with Supporter. Australians show very little patriotism. The American national anthem is played before EVERY college and high school game. I'm not inferring for one second that we should follow America, but I believe it should be played here. For as long as I can remember, we have always played the national anthem before the women's and men's games. If they can it, I will be sorely disappointed.
I think the national anthem and introducing all the players shows some form of professionalism in a league that offers very little.

Reply #232693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say play it but I would like to hear Adam Hills version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TNCf0cwJsY

Reply #232820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May seem off the subject a little, but as Aussies yes, we do show not much, little or often no patriotism or pride in our country.

I would like to highlight the Hindley Street McDonalds saga that attrcated mediawide and international attention last week after being left in such a disgrace, which happens time and time again, apparently. Yes the staff and managment may be at fault, but they are at no more fault then the customers or themselves IMO. As one American said to me, that would never or rarely happen in my country. We have alot of pride in our country. Years ago, I was sitting on the beach when an American man and an Aussie woman sat next to me eating fish and chips. After they finished, the girl got up to leave whilst the man stopped her and said hang on, let me throw this away, we can't leave with all this rubbish here.

As i said, may seem off track, but can't blame the Americans for showing pride and patriotism and if they play the anthem before each game, maybe thats where these standards rise.

Reply #232923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754