Isaac
Years ago

Boti: Sixers cause of own crisis

Boti Nagy has a story today, claiming that the 36ers' position is more of its own doing than anything else. Some quotes from the article:

Hemmerling, who leaves today on holidays during the time of the 36ers' greatest crisis, has left decision-making in the hands of Jeff Van Groningen, former CEO of the defunct Brisbane Bullets and a right-hand man of Eddy Groves, owner of the Distinctive Homes Dome.

Like the 36ers, the Dome is for sale, its asking price at roughly double a recent independent valuation.
A Sixers' press conference yesterday did little more than reiterate Hemmerling's contention his club is being hard-done-by, curious considering his organisation has had the BA criteria for months.
Yesterday BA was having none of it, reminding Adelaide it knew the criteria, chastising it for using the media to air its grievances and also revealing Hemmerling was not even represented at last weekend's national summit in Sydney where he could have voiced concerns.
Full article: Sixers cause of own crisis

Topic #19657 | Report this topic

Ostrich 58  
Years ago

Of course the 36ers management are responsible for their current situation. The team has been poorly run for the last decade, private ownership was supposed to fix that but when you have a new owner that basically maintains the same key staff as in the BASA days how can anybody expect anything to change?
The only difference was that suddenly the 36ers had more cash to waste, but that was pretty short lived before ABC fell over.

At least if there is no Adelaide team for 2009/2010 somebody new can come in and make a decent go of setting up a team for 2010/2011 without having to take on all the current staff, pay out existing contracts e.t.c.

Sure the 36ers brand has a rich history with its 4 championships and all, but the brand also brings a lot of negativity with it in corporate circles.
Find me ten previous or current sponsors that have had only good experiences with their involvement with the club and I will find you one hundred that haven't.

I say Groves/Hemmerling can keep their brand and stadium.
SA elite basketball needs a new identity and a new team that can be run with the professionalism that the 36ers so poorly lack.

Reply #232875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"maintains the same key staff as in the BASA days how can anybody expect anything to change?"

Only two BASA employees remain employed by the 36ers. One of them was given a new role under the new owner, one of whom does ticketing and I'm sure you'd agree she isn't the reason the club is in the mess its in.

Please to lay blame at an admin that doesn't deserve it, the problem has always been the boss/owners spending way above their means.

Reply #232877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Mal go on holiday while the 36ers die!?

What a disgrace!

Reply #232881 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

that was pretty bad, i think he will sell in the end. If he lets the team fold he NO return on his investment at all. If its obvious that he cant make it work i'm sure he would sell if nothing else to recoup some money. I just wish he had come out earlier so that we had a chance to do something about it like the hawks did.

Reply #232887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Angela Marino play for the 36ers?

Reply #232890 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon she can!

Reply #232892 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I find it funny you guys all supported and believed every word Hemmerling had said when he f***** over Hodge. NOW you finally see your golden boys true colours!! Hurry up and piss of Mal!

Reply #232899 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I find it funny that you can't see the option there that Hodge was wrong then, and Mal might be wrong now. Think about it for longer than five seconds and you'll appreciate that possibility.

Reply #232903 | Report this post

Ostrich 58  
Years ago

"Only two BASA employees remain employed by the 36ers. One of them was given a new role under the new owner, one of whom does ticketing and I'm sure you'd agree she isn't the reason the club is in the mess its in.

Please to lay blame at an admin that doesn't deserve it, the problem has always been the boss/owners spending way above their means."

Perhaps the roles of the two remaining staff should have been reversed.

Reply #232904 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Hodge situation was Julius' cause not doubt about that, and when he lines up for the Tigers next season, that will become even more evident.

BUT as far as this situation goes, Mal better be very careful about what he is doing, because Adelaide is a very small place and there are a lot of very passionate fans, for him to kill off a sporting franchise such as the 36ers for extra profit in a herendous financial stage for the world, would cause a self implosion on his name in many more circles than he could imagine.

Its not worth it Mal, sell the 6ers and for what they're worth (not all that much) and move on to something you are passionate about.

Reply #232907 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Its a shame when egos need scapegoats!!

I love BA's stance on this & thats why the new nbl will be better - no corporate bullying!

Shape up or ....

The blame game is to easy.

Reply #232917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal was the reason adelaide lost the grand prix 10ish years ago and now because of him we might lose the 36ers!! HELP US!

Reply #232922 | Report this post

Northy  
Years ago

If Julius Hodge wasn't supporting an extended family of 15 would he be a financial backer for the 36ers on the condition that he be allowed to be a 36er again and train when he wants and arrive to training when he wants despite being the hardest working basketballer in NBL history?

Reply #232924 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, he only wants to play in Melbourne.

Reply #232928 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

" Mal was the reason adelaide lost the grand prix 10ish years ago and now because of him we might lose the 36ers!! HELP US! "

Actually this was all due to John Olsen, who's wife was the head of a "protect the parklands" commity. Why do ppl on here have to say things they have no idea about constantly.

Reply #232934 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Screw the Grand Prix and what happened back then, and whos right who's wrong. RIGHT NOW Mal is the at the core of the team i love not being around next year!

Reply #232935 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I have to agree with Boti; KingJames & a few of the other comments above as there are just too many issues that have happened under the current ownership structure that just reeks of incompetance. IMO these are just some of the issues as I see it:

Making an insulting offer to Beveridge (adpoting Beveridge's words) to coach the team. Cost cutting / cashflow?

The former coach hearing via the media he has lost his job. Impcompetance?

The delayed payment with Hodges salary. Again without rehashing the issues the payment was late being actioned as quoted by the 36ers. Cashflow?

Keeping Mike Chappell in the line up way to long before replacing him. Cashflow / cost cutting?

Having Tyndale on a 'no cut' contract when he is yet to prove himself as an import. Incompetance?

Submitting a non compliant bid for the new NBL competion. I think most of us would have understood if they came out when Cairns & Hawks did & were upfront about the clubs position that unless investors came on board they could not meet the bank guarantee. Why has this been left to now & then we here the current owner is off on annual leave?

Not sending a club rep to last weeks seminar given our dire postion.

How can potential buyers go to their financial institution & request finance if the purchase price is twice as much as an independant valuation?

Reply #232980 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Jake
As to
"
Not sending a club rep to last weeks seminar given our dire postion."

I don't think they talked much about the NBl at the weekend love in.

Reply #233013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754