Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Hypothetical: shooting foul v clock expiration

Talked about this scenario with some mates recently and don't know if we came up with a definitive answer. Feel free to define your own:

A player has the ball with the gameclock winding down.

He/she shoots the ball but is fouled in the act of shooting. The foul occurs before the clock expires, but the player doesn't release the ball until after the clock expires. In other words, had there been no foul, there would have been a clock violation and any basket made not counted.

Let's say the shot goes in. Does the basket count?

Naysayers would say the player released it after the clock went off, and they shoot two (or three) foulshots. Yeasayers say he got fouled in the act of shooting, and if that act results in a basket, then it counts and it's an and-one situation.

I am secretly hoping an NBA playoff game is decided in this fashion. Hypothesizing hats on!

Topic #19690 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

I would say that the clock stops when the whistle blows for the foul - so if the whistle is blown with time left on the clock then clock can't expire.

Reply #233227 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I think SVD's right, in theory. In practice, it's possible that the whistle could blow with, say, 0.4 seconds left, and the time-keeper may not react quickly enough to stop the clock before it expires. In that case, I have no idea what the ruling would/should be if the shot went in - I suppose if it was an NBA game, they'd probably use TV footage to determine an amount of time to put back on the clock. I think because it's a theoretically-impossible scenario (as SVD said), there wouldn't be a rule that covers it.

Reply #233229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rule is simple.

The foul means there are shots after the buzzer. The ball was still in the hand of the shooter when the siren went, meaning if the shot goes in it's cancelled.

Reply #233233 | Report this post

pmabao  
Years ago

the player would only get 2 shots if it were a shooting foul (or if they were in the bonus which would make the situation a lot easier) so if its a shooting foul and the ball goes in then pts should count. You can not call the shooting foul yet not count the basket.

SVD has it down pat - if the whistle blows, the clock stops. Therefore the points count and its plus 1 from the line

Reply #233250 | Report this post

This is how I would look at it.

On every shooting foul, the clock stops when the whistle blows and the majority of shots would then take place after the whistle, while the clock is stopped. So continuation while the clock is stopped isn't an issue.

Then if you are going to award the foul, you have to determine that there is/was some time left on the clock when the foul is called. Even if it is 0.1

Therefore, the basket would count as the foul was called before the buzzer and the shooter is entitled to continuation even if the clock has been stopped/expired.

Reply #233254 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Something I've never actually thought of.
So technically a player can play even though the clock has stopped.

Ie
Fouled in the act of shooting, whistle is blown (clock in the ideal world would stop immediately, but it can only stop as quick as the benches reaction) player continues/finishes shooting action - thus he is still playing yet the clock is stopped.

Reply #233267 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

SCD is correct. Foul called, clock stopped basket goes in it counts.

In the NBA and FIBA basketball the Referees use a device called precision time. Is a device is a transmitter. It works two ways. There is a microphone and a belt pack. The microphone attaches to the whistle. As soon as the whistle blows it instantly stops the clock. There is no human involvement at all. When the ball is inbounded or rebounded for instance after a missed free throw the referee activates a button on the belt pack to start the clock. In effect the referee in the NBA and FIBA works the clock. There is however a timekeeper who will start the clock if the referee forgets to activate the belt pack.

Thus this hypothetical cant occur in the NBA or FIBA.

Reply #233304 | Report this post

vhc  
Years ago

Perhaps the basketball bodies around the world can create some technology where the refs whistles (or other device) are directly linked to the game clock - rather than having a person on the scorebench. this would make this would settle a lot of arguments between opposing teams, coaches and the refs! I say they fund the technology by reducing the contracts of the less than average NBA players that still get sqillions on cash.

But as for the topic in hand - i beleive fould would be called - points would be good, bonus shot and then game. if the clock expires before the shot is released then i dont think the human eyes/ears would be quick enough to realise that it would be disputed?

Reply #233317 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Thats what precision timing is vhc. It is wired into the clock itself. There is only a timekeeper there in case the ref doesnt start the clock. The referees whistle stops the clock immediately in the NBA and FIBA. Within .001 of a second of it being blown.

Clearly you didnt read the post above yours vch

Reply #233320 | Report this post

vhc  
Years ago

that post wasnt posted when i wrote mine! :) Must have happened at the same time....clearly this is a great life example of how it works.... i'm the manual scorebench and Sebastian is precision time!

Reply #233323 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

I once shot a 3 pointer with 0.5 seconds to go to win the game ... I was fouled too but they didn't call it as the clock expired while the shot was up in the air. Anways it don't matter cause we won !!

Reply #233333 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

I'm a shooting guard - number #24 - the best number ever

Reply #233334 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I thought school holidays finished last week?

Reply #233350 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

ball not released before siren, basket no count. foul counts. 2 free throws from the line.

some people can hang in the air a while... jump, foul, siren, basket. if its that order then the shot cant count.

imagine a guy like Lebron... hangs in the air for ages. the siren could have finished going off and he still could have time to put up a shot before he lands...

Reply #233415 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

If the foul is blown in the NBA nounsa the clock stop immediately with no delay. So you saying lebron hanging in the air, jump, foul, siren, basket cant happen! If the foul is called the siren cant go off

Reply #233449 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754