Anonymous
Years ago

Basketball Victoria - $7m complex

VICTORIAN basketball has secured a $7 million boost that will provide a world class complex at Knox.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25429890-10914,00.html

Topic #19756 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

This has been on the cards for the past 2-3 years...the site is in Scoresby on located right on the new Eastlink. It's location is within a 5-10min drive of Nunawading Basketball Stadium, and about 15-20min from the current 6-court Knox venue in Boronia.

Knox is the biggest Association in Australia, and with this new venue they will only get even bigger IMO. And they will be right on the doorstep of local rivals Nunawading (there may be a few furrowed brows down in Spectre land).

I would not be surprised to see the South Dragons play home games at this new venue either as it is located in the Eastern corridor of Melbourne where basketball participation is at its highest anywhere in the world.

Reply #234010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How far is it out of the city? I expect a 5,000 seat stadium would be a good size for the Melbourne teams.

Reply #234017 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

I'd like to be one of the first to dunk on those rings !!!

Reply #234021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still won't beat Marion, Hillcrest and Pt. Adelaide!

Reply #234025 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

I'd like to dunk on all of them too !!

Reply #234026 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

playtime, you would just like to dunk

Reply #234027 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is about a 30-40min drive out from the city via either freeway linked by Eastlink. Peak hour would be a bit different...

Reply #234030 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I hope the new stadium will contain a Krispy Kreme outlet inside even if it's a small one.

Reply #234048 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

I've bee tryin to do the backward slam .. but can't manage ta get the timing or lift - any pointers? - also the tomahawk is a bit outta my league at the moment - but as they say practice makes perfect

Reply #234060 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

typical of BV's planning and lobbying. The west of melbourne and country victoria are screaming for new venues so BV manage to get another venue built right in the heartland, in a place where there will be little or no future population growth and where the popoulation will start to age rapdily over the next 10-20 years.

Why not Craigieburn, or Caroline Springs...where there are some crappy single courters and the occasional multi purpose venue....nope, another six courter in a place where six and five court venues are the norm and where there are effectively a plethora of courts.....

Reply #234096 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

HO, in some ways you are right - the power of basketball in Victoria is very much based in the Eastern corridor.

However the area they will be building the new venue is crying out for more courts. I think most Associations would love the extra court space, in both the West and East. A lot of venues have games starting every night of the week at 10:15pm or later!

I do believe the Western side holds the most potential though for growth as you correctly outline.

Reply #234100 | Report this post

They just keep doing it right in Vic, don't they.

Meanwhile we have at least 4 stadiums in SA, one of which was the last one to be built, that have had leaking roofs for the last three years that we just cant seem to fix. The president of Forestville had to stand on the side of court 2 at Wayville with a towel, mopping up the rain every time the players moved down the other end of the court last Friday during a state champs game.

Building a $7 million dollar stadium is certainly helped by the population.

Not fixing leaking stadium roofs in SA is just plain lazy.

Shame, shame, shame, SA.

Reply #234146 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

Vic - is the place to be when it comes to bball - we got the best players and best comps in AUS - for example we have 3 guys who can flat out dunk on our team - and that's just in local competition !!

Reply #234170 | Report this post

Years ago

Because being able to dunk when you're young means you're a great player and all, and will be for the foreseeable future.

As for the topic, it'd be great if there was a similar financial investment in basketball here in SA. Unfortunately doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Reply #234182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I like Hillcrest and Marion - small and cosy, restricts the number of spectators who can see how bad I am. Morphett Vales is not bad too - lots of dead spots on court two which I can blame for losing the ball while dribbling.

Pasadena is a shocker, especially Courts 2 & 3 - the roof is too low and I can't make my full court three point shots.

Wayville - I am not into playing water polo.

West Adelaide - my feet are too long to stand inside the court but outside the three point arc on the baseline - Court 2 and the lighting is good provided the sun is shining.

Mars - excellent views of the gym and the ladies

Starplex - Is it just me who can't shoot on those rings - actually forget that I can't shoot on any rings.

Dome 2 is fantastic - especially when all courts are being used as I can't hear my coach suggesting I take up another sport

Reply #234198 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Basketball Victoria also welcomes a Federal Government commitment to the new State Basketball Centre project.

The Federal Minister or Veteran's Affairs Mr Alan Griffin on behalf of The Hon. Anthony Albanese MP Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government today announced a grant of $7 million towards the construction of a new State Basketball Centre in the City of Knox.

The project will now receive funding in the amount of $14 million from both Federal and State Governments.

Basketball Victoria CEO Wayne Bird said "This is further recognition of our sports importance in the Victorian community and we thank both the Federal and State Governments for their support of our continually growing sport".

"Facilities are important for all sports and we applaud the efforts of the Knox City Council and Knox Basketball Association for their collaboration and initial planning of this project".

The $27.65 million project, which is being managed by the Knox City Council, will provide a centre for basketball and soccer. It will also serve as a first-class sporting facility for the eastern region of Melbourne and surrounding areas.

The State Basketball Centre will also serve as the headquarters of Basketball Victoria and Knox Basketball Inc and help encourage development of professional and recreational basketball."

$27.65 million!!!!! That's a lot more than the $7m I thought it was going to cost! It's going to be a huge complex when it is finished!

Reply #234506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754