Can anyone explain the column in The Advertiser

can anyone please give me the understandable version of the column in todays advertiser regarding splits and who finishes where - I was lost in the second paragraph !

Topic #1978 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

basically if it is the article i think your refering to the sixers did not know the rules for the finals nor did the comms manager for the NBL.

The sixers have beleived the comms manager as to how a tied series between teams is decided rather than reading the rules and checking with the NBL directly.

It does not matter though as long as we beat Cairns and Sydney win we finish second, if we win and the Gong win we finish equal on win loss but below them on the ladder as the own us 2-1.

If we had played the gong 4 times and won 2 games then the point spread between the two teams decides who goes higher rather than what the sixers thought was overall percentage.

Reply #22441 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Interesting that Cat may finish his career in Perth, I think it would be good for the league for Perth to be a powerhouse-type team in the L. I would hate to see him play in townsville though, that lineup would destroy any team!

Reply #22444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Article online »

If only SJ and Phil had been reading Hoops SA, we'd have set them straight a while ago!

It's shocking that the Communications Manager could be dishing out the wrong information to clubs as they near the finals, but what effect does it really have on the 36ERS? We still have to beat Cairns for a chance at 2nd; that doesn't change.

And if we had have tied with Townsville and Melbourne, we come out on top via points percentage OR via the revised rule of second tie-break.

We've secured 2nd, 3rd or 4th, which means that we won't start our finals campaign until the weekend after this one. And if we have a knock-out final, it's at home.

Reply #22445 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Of course if we finish 4th though, we cannot get a home grand final.

The grand final home court is determined by the highest ranked team as at the time the finals started, so if we can finish 2nd, and play 3rd or 4th, we get the advantage.

Grabd final series will be played as either H-H-A-A-H or H-A-H-A-H, with the 2nd format being the preferred option, dependent on venue availability.

Reply #22481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What if the Tigers, Pirates, Bullets or Wildcats win their way through to the GF? Wouldn't we then get the advantage in the GF series?

Reply #22484 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yes.

Come on Yogee, not like you to make an error like that!

There are of course no guarantees that the teams who finish higher will play the GF.

Reply #22485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754