Skud
Years ago

36ers Lifeline

Just heard on the news theirs a lifeline for the 36ers, unable to watch could someone fill me in possibly??

Topic #19799 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Was it on TV or radio ?
I think 36ers have agreed to Hoops poster Jonno's idea and will play a fund raising game. To be announced just after Basketball Australia make their EOI statement, next week.

Reply #234417 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I heard on kg and the general, that BA are coming here to meet the consortium, he named the leader i think it was paul finlay or something like that cant remember it exactly, he is an accountant apparantly.
He said its all positive from what he hears and the sixers should b over the line and into the nbl.
Heres hoping smyth is correct!
Another idea for fundraising, but also something i think fans would enjoy, how bout selling, or taking orders for old game tapes especially like the 4 championship series, they could say charge $10 per disc + $5-10 postage, would people buy games?? i would and bought a few games from the club last season, so they already do it, maybe they should make it more widely available and promote it as a bit of a revenue raiser, even sell em for $20 and push the fundraising aspect more, id pay $20 for a copy of the games in the grandfinal series i dont have.

Reply #234418 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah i would as well, you would want to pick your games though. They could really make something of Brett's contribution with championship games and last game. Mention it in members packs etc. Need the team first though, and and anything positive is good news, even if its a rumor at this stage.

Reply #234421 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ch9 - a current affair at 6.30pm on friday , will run the story of 36ers (Power and United).
Smyth is speaking about the 36ers.

Reply #234425 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Paul Finlay, Chris Fuss & Richard Hill are the ones trying to buy the team.

They are reaming thinking that after a year they will be making money.

for $200,000 you can buy 20%

Reply #234437 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Your and ideas man Jonno! I actually think the perfect way to round out the Maher era would be to do a boxed set-style package. 2 or 3 discs that do a retroperspective on every season from the year Maher started (1992 or so?) right through to his final game at the Dome. Kind of like the boxed Dynasty sets for NBA teams Boston, Lakers, Bulls and Sixers. The set would be about the Sixers, but it could be told with Maher as the central character.

That is the kind of thing that creates legends in the game and helps develop a rich history for the league. We need more of it to sustain our national competition through tough times. For an example, look no further than the tradition carefully nurtured by the NBA over the years.

Reply #234441 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I agree, i have the 98 series on dvd and a few other 36ers games, but i would definately be interested if the club made some vintage games available.

Reply #234442 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, i thought people would be interested so just threw it out there, i love the idea of Beantown with the Maher era box set, you could also do a mark davis era covering the earlier years and the 86 title, between them you would have a rich history of the entire 36ers!

I also reckon smaller eras of some of the great imports like Rose, KB, Mee, Farley or even Coach smyth could be done, obviously covering less time, but could focus on them more as many fans have a favourite import or 2 of all time. Alot of this would be overlapping the footage in the maher era but would just have a different focus, for example showing KB's highlights more so and yea just another way of creating an extra packae/product to be sold and earn the club some money! The club has a great deal of success and many highlights and great and exciting past players and footage and i think the fans would lapp alot of this stuff up, if sold at a good price, say around $10 per disk, you could probably charge around $100 for a maher era box set i reckon with say 4 discs of footage, highlights, interviews. I'd pay that, would others?? (remembering its also fundraising to keep the club alive, and a AWESOME product)

I find it interesting that Richard Hill is involved in buying it, is he still the assistant coach?, would be interesting if you were ninnis having an owner as your assistant. I guess he would change his role to avoid this situation. Anyway just an observation, i think we should all be thanking these 3 guys and showing our full support to them for saving our beloved 36ers!! I know ill be doing my best to attend as many games as possible and supporting the club.

Reply #234443 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

This is a great idea about 36ers DVD's. Especially at a time like this when we dont know how long the club will last. I reckon $20-25 per disk would be easy to sell to long time fans. And for the younger ones it would make a great gift for Christmas to show them where the dynasty began, and who crated it.
Where do we sign up? I'll take a Maher boxed set plus a 'best of 36ers imports' boxed set, plus a 'Champions Again and Again' boxed set......
At $50-$100 a set, if they sold 2 sets each to 1500 people that makes some good pocket money.
Of course someone would have to get paid to put it together, and royalties would prbably be due to tv and Foxtel, but I think its a great idea.

Reply #234447 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Awesome idea i would definately buy 2 dvd's every time i went to the powerhouse, love to get some old games like with brooks and mee and catt all together having fun and winning.

Reply #234465 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Just a query - if this $1 million bank guarentee requires so much effort to get 6ers over the line, will BA be asking for the same thing next season, and the one after that and so on?

I really don;t understand why BA didn't just require the $1M from teams which were in recent financial trouble - hawks, taipans etc. This buggering about has slowed the process of reform surely -mainly becuase no one knows yet if they are certain to be in the new league.

Reply #234469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think you need the 1 mil every year. its a safeguard for the season.

Reply #234482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No you put it in place once and it remains there until it is used. To simply explain it it is like putting money aside for a rainy day at home. Once you have it there you don't need to keep doing it every year unless you use it.

Reply #234488 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Selling DVDs will scrape up a small amount of cash but it's not going to go close to saving a team, IMO. Might get a few hundred sales.

Reply #234490 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

The Hawks were not in trouble, they paid all debts and met there obligations.
Unlike Sydney Kings,Spirit and Cairns

The previous owners just said they could not meet the criteria set by BA and let everyone know early enough so the team could survive this comming season if a new consortium could be found.

All previous NBL owners all had to decide wether they could fund BA's grand plan and vision and submit an EOI for 2009/10 new league.

Reply #234500 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

The production values would want to be much higher than the DVD the Sixers put out a few years ago.

Reply #234519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But surely at the moment the rights to the sixers product would be Mal. any sales etc of DVDs would go to him. It would be good to get sales for fans but realistically as a fund raising effort I would forsee it falling far short of the mark. Unless it was step up and buy a $10.00 product for $100.00 knowing that your money would be going towards team. But as said if Mal owns the sixers he would IMO own the rights to the DVDs if he is looking to divest himself of the sixers giving him the income isn't going to help raise the 1mil needed.

Reply #234526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's more or less correct but if Mal wants to give it a crack, he could do so. I just don't think selling DVDs or running a charity game (the Wheeler game got Brett $5k, for example) is going to get even remotely close to having an impact. And I don't think the community support model used by Cairns or Wollongong will do much more than prop them up (hopefully until someone comes along to provide greater support).

Reply #234541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never assume until you hear it from the horse's mouth!!!!!

Reply #234545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is that in response to a particular post or point?

Reply #234569 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Only 1000 went to SA v Vic game (for Brett Wheeler) on the clipsal race day.
I would expect a good turn out of support for a 36ers fund raising game.
If Finlay and Hill are buying the team, and Chris Fuss is also involved putting in funds.

Reply #234584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754