Drb
Years ago

The Age: Tigers withdraw from NBL

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-withdraw-from-nbl-season-20090511-azy4.html

Topic #19839 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Gaze going to slam them like he did to Cowan?

I doubt it.

Reply #234944 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

gaze is a politican

Reply #234949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A domino falls?

As of this morning even, I think the league were reasonably confident of still getting a competition together. Now, if they go ahead, they will need to make up numbers with SEABL teams.

Reply #234953 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Isaac, do you think they should hold out for 1 season

Reply #234955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons and Tigers fans might have to unite and make the V-line trip down to Geelong each week.

Reply #234956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be very interesting to see him bag out his own team after he give it the mark cowen. He should ever have been on the board especally who one cited he is about Melbourne tigers.

Reply #234958 | Report this post

NBL  
Years ago

realistically the league needs to hold out for a year and realistically they also can't afford to not have a league this year. One year without a league will force the players to go else where in the world or retire. Players need to pay the bills too and it's not like they are on Million dollar salaries and can sustain the quality of life without a job.

The bottom line is the league must go on but should allow the comp to go on without the bank guarantee and when they want to start it up in July for the 10/11 season they implement the million dollar bank deposit and move on from there.

Baby steps baby steps

Reply #234961 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, elevating SEABL teams would go against the grain of the whole financial stability model, and make a mockery of holding out on the Sixers to require a $1 million dollar guarantee etc.

Essentially, we have seen an owner revolt here which has spelled an end to a national level competition in this country as we know it. There is no way the league can go ahead this year. A few exhibition matches, maybe.

This is not just a 'sit it out for one year' kind of revolt either. I think it is reasonably clear that these owners will not submit control over the league to an independent body. If there is to be a league in this country next year, I suspect it will be run by the Cowan's and Seamus' of this world ala the old-NBL.

Reply #234964 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

gez just run the old nbl for another year and plan the new league to launch one year later

Reply #234965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drb, I think that's pretty much what they were going to do.

In fact, it was going to be 'worse'than the old NBL with a lower salary cap.

Reply #234967 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Well this is a fine mess you got us in Ollie

Should make a black & white film comedie show about it

Reply #234971 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like the idea of a league with say 3-5 SEABL teams filling the gaps, they should stick to their criteria but give these teams a 1 year interim license where they do not have to put up the $1m guarantee and drop the cap a bit for this season also so these teams can be somewhat competitive, even if they still make up the bottom of the ladder.
I say teams like 36ers should be allowed in on similar grounds but then if they wish to stay in the have to meat the criteria for the next season, this gives us a league and doesnt compromise all the criteria in the long run and gives clubs like the 36ers a extra year to sort out the funds.
Good on BA for not lettin cowan and mcpeak controll them! Owners exerting too much power is what caused the problems with nbl, im all for a independent board/BA running the NBL, right or wrong i think they should be given the chance to do it there way and not be controlled by owners, the owners more and less had there chance and that didnt work so its BA's turn.
If that means a few walk away well so be it.
Cowan and McPeakes over spending on rosters were some of the reasons clubs were going broke as they couldnt keep up and died trying, so not having them and having a smaller budget league may be a better way forward and make it profitable.
I agree with Gaze on not just letting them walk in and out should they ever want back in they should pay the $1m lisence fee,
Goood luck to BA and i look forward to the next season!

Reply #234973 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'd go ahead with less teams (NZ might get a title lol) and then expire the Tigers/Dragons licences and charge em again to join the new league on 2010/11 season. Call it "wanker tax".

Reply #234975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15-minute radio interview with Seamus McPeake today:

http://linky.com.au/evu9k

Reply #234976 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

Just heard the end of a news flash on ABC radio. Sounded like no 36'rs and no NBL in the short term. Anyone know the full story ?

Reply #234982 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, it's probably their only option at this stage.

I've posted what I think they should do now here.

Reply #235004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Drb - tough question. Have no season in 09/10 and clubs will lose a lot of members that just tick the box to renew each year. However, running a half-arsed league might leave others to depart at such a budget league being run. Could go either way and if I had to choose between expensive consultants forecasting what would happen before choosing and just flipping a coin, I'd almost just flip the coin.

One advantage to running a budget league this year is that it might reboot player salaries somewhat and provide a better foundation going forward. Or maybe they'd just jump up next year anyway.

Another advantage is that it provides an opportunity to new clubs - as I've said, base league now and then add an elite league later.

If a comp gets started and the 36ers play 15-20 games, and teams can bring out $150-200 level memberships (silver memberships) and stay financial, I think that could be a good start considering the alternative.

For entrepreneurs, a $600-800k cap and $700k in escrow is more achievable than $1.5m and $1m.

Reply #235013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754