fan
Years ago

BA / Major sponsor / TV rights

Just a thought, but why not give the rights to show all games to foxtel,abc or channel ten for free this year and in return get free advertising for a major sponsor. This would get the games back on tv like it was back in the 90's and hopefully get more people interested in the game and also offer a cheap form of advertising for a new sponsor. A win win win situation I would have thought. What do you all think ?.

Topic #19848 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea - you obviously don't work at BA

Reply #235086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The story goes that David White at Channel 10 wouldn't piss on the NBL if it were on fire. The ABC won't show ads. And Foxtel are supposedly offering $200k to show one game (of teams outside the three big capitals) a week so I doubt they'd give up ad spots likely to woo a major sponsor. Without the big city teams, no network would show all games unless paid.

I think a plan at one point was to use some of the proceeds from the scam $35m deal or pooled funds to buy time on FTA, in addition to all games being broadcast on Fox.

Reply #235089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find the NBL was receiving pretty close to $0.00 from them anyway.

What they need to work into a Fox Sports deal is support from the greater Foxtel & News Ltd family. Drop the cash, give us some hype on air, in print, online.

Reply #235092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, the Fox $200K offer was post-Sydney/Brisbane declaring themselves out, but pre-Melbourne also falling.

The populations of the remaining Aust. NBL cities (and their Foxtel subscriptions) still don't make up for Melbourne alone, let alone Sydney.

Melbourne, I'd imagine, would have been the last straw for Fox.

Reply #235095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You make a good point regarding getting into the broader News Ltd network. Would they do it though? News Ltd online seems to be all about the populist angle and I doubt they'd make the effort to help elevate a comparatively unpopular sport for anything less than top dollar, don't you think?

Reply #235104 | Report this post

$  
Years ago

If Bball wants FTA coverage it will have to pay for it.

No FTA station is going to take on the investment needed to televise matches for a sport that apparently no one watches.

Reply #235122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live streaming through the internet? Is that an option?

Reply #235140 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

what NBL needs is it's own version of a megastar like Kobe - someone everybody loves, respects and can relate to and is the best at what he does

Reply #235143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about with the new channels starting? OneHD, I hear channel 7 and 9 and maybe SBS are starting 24/7 sport channels, surely NBL can give away the rights to them.. Something has to give, there isnt enough sport in australia to fill fox 1, fox 2, fox 3, espn australia, fuel tv, one hd, 7 sport, 9 sport, abc and sbs sport..

Reply #235145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Live streaming - maybe after live scores are nailed down?

The benefit of FTA/Fox over live streaming is that it can get in the face of non-fans and try to attract new ones. Live streaming doesn't have that advantage, but does have the risk of providing an option to people who are umming and aahing about going to a game.

I don't think the NBL could afford the bandwidth streaming would require. Live radio (which could probably continue even in an interim league) is probably a better bet for now?

Reply #235147 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

wake up fox wont show any games if there is no teams from bris, syd and melbourne, which is more of a reason to sit the year out.

All this talk of rogue leagues ect is useless, u need teams from melbourne or sydney otherwise the comp doesnt work, brisbane is not necessary as important.

Reply #235151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754