Isaac
Years ago

Atlantis shuttle to carry two basketballs to space

Space shuttle Atlantis will carry a pair of basketballs when it rockets away on a repair mission to the Hubble Space Telescope. Liftoff is scheduled for Monday afternoon.

One of the balls belongs to the Globetrotters. It was deflated to save room inside the shuttle, which is jammed with spacewalking gear and new telescope parts.

The other is a century-old ball on loan from the University of Chicago that was once handled by the man the Hubble Telescope is named after.
Edwin Hubble  the astronomer for whom the space telescope is named  tossed the ball around in a 1909 victory against Indiana University. The 6-foot-2 Hubble was a star forward on the University of Chicago's Big Ten champion teams of 1907-1908 and 1908-1909.
Doesn't appear to be for any experimental reasons, just a bit of a stunt?
"It is only fitting that the team that has seen more of the world than any other in history would have a presence beyond the stratosphere," Globetrotters chief executive officer Kurt Schneider said in a news release.

After Atlantis returns to Earth, the Globetrotters will put their red, white and blue space ball on display at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. The Hubble ball will go back to the University of Chicago.
Oh well, whatever furthers publicity of basketball and space exploration!

Full story at Yahoo: Basketballs launching on space shuttle mission

Topic #19858 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

I wonder if its a Houston Rocket?

Reply #235162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's definitely going to beat the NBL to any launch.

Speaking of, BA's conference should be well underway by now...

Reply #235163 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I'm sure there's a gag about Apollo Stadium which would fit here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Reply #235199 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

What a balls up.

Reply #235240 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

We don't need basketballs here anymore.

Reply #235280 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Great fun those shuttle launches. I watched that one from 5 miles away on the Kennedy Space Centre Causeway. WOW

Reply #235346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had you scheduled the itinerary in advance to be there for it? I understand it was delayed four years?

Reply #235358 | Report this post

vichoops  
Years ago

Because there were basketballs involved, Basketball Australia got involved and thats what caused the four year delay

Reply #235430 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I've waited 22 years and FINALLY...it's here...

-SPACEBALLS II-

Reply #235461 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

they should send Kobe up in space - then he can see the world that he rules !!!

Reply #235649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754