DJ Rod
Years ago

Interview with Seamus McPeake

JR & I caught up with him yesterday just after the new League was announced...

Definitely worth while tuning in for the 5 min interview!

Unfortunately, when we recorded the rest of the show, one of my mic cables was playing up and JR's volume is pretty bad... I apologise to our listenere for that.

BUT, check it out, we also have our 2cents worth on the new NBL and catch up with Rupert Sapwell.

Get it here or through iTunes

Topic #19874 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't you posted this already?

Do you really think we need to hear more from McPeake and his selfish attitude towards the nbl.

Between him, Cowan and their captains we are very well aware of what he thinks. And most of us don't care.

Thanks for almost destroying the NBL and elite Men's Basketball in Australia McPeake, now shut up and piss off.

Reply #235464 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

you have to hear it to believe it

Reply #235468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Translation:
I need the hits for my website so for the second time everyone please come to my site and listen to what I've managed to get out of one idiot owner.

No thanks

Reply #235471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great stuff. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, between BA conservatives and these two owners who want/need more.

Reply #235479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Owners believed the Melbourne teams are in when they put their applications in: INCORRECT

JR upset he found out through the media: Well go to your freaking club and ask them why they didn't tell you, how is that BA's fault?

Owners are going to put together a comp: No, BA are putting together a competition wih the seven clubs in mind and working with them.

McPeakes comments were embarassing for an owner.
We want to have one identity but we want our own CEO and Board. So really you want BA to make sure the League exists but you want to keep all the power.

McPeake says the seven teams will lose money: EVERY NBL team lost money last season, even Tigers!

I've turned it off, waste of my time listening to that rubbish.

Reply #235480 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

C'mon guys, let's not bag out DJ, atleast he is out there trying to get info back to the ppl...i'm not with mcfattie on any of his views, but lets not rubbish the DJ or JR...altho i did think JR's blog was a cry for help!!!...but thats another story..

it appears that the vic's may have cut there own throat...
it certainly looks as tho BA are watching some forums getting feedback online as to what the ppl think..Boti is getting some good feeds from hoops.. :-)

Reply #235483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My issue is they are voicing one side of the story and saying things that are facts.

JR said that the 7 teams put in their EOI thinking the Melbourne teams would be in. He was very firm on that.

Well JR was wrong, all 7 teams knew the Dragons and Tigers would not submit EOI's when they put theirs in.

If your going to run the show at least make sure your talking facts not what you've heard, made up or simply agree with what the person on the other end of the phone is saying.

McPeake is one of many people who have mismanaged the NBL to the state it is. DEAD

Without BA there is no NBL, end of story. BA has to fix the problems that the owners have created and now they are getting blamed by the owners for all the problems. How is that right?

Reply #235485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's an idiot.
I don't agree with the 2 x Melb owners actions, but that doesn't invalidate all of their points. They're operating in a very different market to Adelaide and need support.

Reply #235486 | Report this post

Years ago

ahhh so u guys will just bag out whoever saying -ive shits about BA and whoeva that dun say things ur way? thats just poor.

Reply #235492 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Don't mean to ask a stupid question but how do we listen to this without Itunes? Thanks

Reply #235493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seamus was just on SEN.

It should be available on sportsentral.com shortly.

He said 'we have enough people nation-wide to show BA how to run a league professionally on our own'

When asked further about starting a rebel league, he said he doesn't want to do it in the short-term because he wants to work with BA. However, if they can't do it properly, then "bring it on."

He also said that one club wasn't even represented at today's meeting.

Reply #235495 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

which would have been the 36ers seeing they have nothing atm...

again, a rebel league will be second tear to say the least as it wont have any player that wants to play international ball.

BA have got them by the short and curly's on this...
I would expect Mcfattie to retreat soon...

Reply #235498 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I'm afraid to answer that in case i will be accused of pushing 'MY' website...

Trust me, JR's website gets enough hits without me...

If you go to www.johnrillie.com/podcast, click on RSS FEED then scroll down to Episode 29.

Let's get one thing straight though - JR & I get NOTHING from the blog or podcast, not a cent... we have been given CD's and a few LCD monitors to give out to competition winners, that is it!

We do this for the sport we love and the fans. We get interviews so ppl can hear a different side to every story... all topical stuff.

I post it on here so the fans can access it.

Reply #235499 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

yep i think the fat man will soon regret that he threw a bluff that got called real quick now he has to wear the disgrace of no Tigers in the league for a season, it will take away from their history and they should not have made that call.

Reply #235501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of egg on McPeake's face. He gambled and lost. The league will be better off now piss off.

Reply #235507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you guys honestly think that if they tigers and/or the dragons could make this upcoming season profitable they would have bailed on it?
Tigers have been the most profitable team in the league for several years.
Dragons have one of the largest supporter bases in the league.
If they can't turn a profit then nobody can (except maybe t'ville).
This league is seriously turning into a glorified SEABL.

Reply #235513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you guys honestly think that if they tigers and/or the dragons could make this upcoming season profitable they would have bailed on it?

Dragons have lost anywhere between $2M - $3M every year they've been in the league. Their decision had nothing to do with losing money.
Tigers have no idea if they can or can't make a profit. But again despite their claims, the Tigers as a club does not make money, McPeake hids costs in other businesses (such as office rent and admin staff, not to mention player salaries).

Tigers have been the most profitable team in the league for several years.

INCORRECT. Townsville are the only club which gets close to breaking even, NO team is profitable.

Dragons have one of the largest supporter bases in the league.

INCORRECT. No idea what you would base that claim on. Dragons had the second highest attendance figures for 08/09 and even those were bolstered by the fact Tigers fans can attended derby games quite easily.

Despite having 110,000 registered basketballers in Victoria (compared with less than 20,000 in SA) the Tigers could only manage 2,800 fans per game, the Dragons 4,400. Maybe they should fix their own backyards before telling BA how to run a league that the Tigers and Dragons helped send bust.

If they can't turn a profit then nobody can (except maybe t'ville).

No one will make a profit in 09/10 or 2010 in a new revamped league. This isn't about money, this is about POWER.

This league is seriously turning into a glorified SEABL.

Your opinion.

Basketball has to come back to earth and realise it isn't AFL. Do you really think a club with 4,400 average fans per game should be spending $400,000 on one player? Remember that one player is committed to 6 months with their club and can go elsewhere in the off season to make even more money.

Again this isn't an arguement about money.

McPeake and the Dragons connections want to be able to control the NBL by appointing their own CEO and having their own board of management. Both of which defeats the purpose of merging with BA.

The sooner the media walk away from McPeake and BA and BV get another team in Victoria the better basketball will be.

Reply #235516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, if Dragons can't make a profit, no one can? Are you serious? The team that's spending probably $70k a game to open their venue when the 36ers would be paying perhaps about a third and getting a larger crowd?

Pigs, I believe that Adelaide were represented at the meeting - know someone from here that went over. The 36ers weren't represented at the last one, but did Seamus kick up a fuss over that as a negative then, or just now when it suits him?

Reply #235526 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I sometimes listen to the podcasts but in all honesty I can't bring myself to listen to McCheat's ridiculous bitter and one-sided ramblings.
We are trying to move forward rather than be kept in the state of bitterness and an inability to admit what is the truth, like McCheat himself and his loyal band of one-eyed followers.

On another note Rod I hear you had some interesting dialogues with Rachel recently?

Reply #235529 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

DJ Rod - some of us appreciate it - thanks.

Reply #235534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA - yeah Rachel and eye did not see eye to eye on a few things - commenting backwards and forwards on JR's blog (whoops another plug)

Reply #235581 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Not sure if that's you or not Rod- posted under anon?
Anyway, thankfully nobody's going to look at everything the same way- she certainly has a very in depth view on seeing several sides of several issues to what's going on with an alliance to neither side though, so it's hardly surprising everybody wants to talk to her for her honest, unbiased and broad input.

Reply #235647 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think Rachel is fairly spot on with most of what she says, and agree that the league is better off without the controlling, self serving owners.
I cant remember who said it but someone in that thread said something about why did it take BA along time to stand up to McPeake and Cowan it think it came with Larry Sengstock, i dare say it was him who said enough is enough we are doing it this way, so they walked, especially since it happened straight after he started. Looks to me so far Larry has been a good appointment and isnt gonna be pushed around by anyone, which is exaclty what BA needs. It sure wouldnt hurt that he is around 6'6 and solidly built, he aint exactly gonna be intimidated by many.

Reply #235663 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Some really good points made in post #235516 above. One thing that seems to have been forgotten in much of the debate is that this is teh end point of a long - too long if I remember many posters' commetns over the last 2 years - process. The process started what, 3 years ago, and was in recognition that the NBL was in trouble. Since that process was started, the trouble has worsened significantly.

Re the BA involvement - the NBL (i.e., clubs originally and owners as private ownership crept into the league) has run the NBL until the revised structure was put in place a year or so ago. Even then, an interim board was put in place and teh owners still held primary control. I just can't see teh state of the league at the end of last season as being the fault of anyone but past NBL management - not BA.

Remember too, that the NBL raised the salary cap from $700,000 to $1,050,000 a few years back, driven by clubs (owners) with deep pockets and opposed by regional clubs who didn't have the cash flows to suport that sort of players' wage bill. It was a disaster and the cap was reduced again, after one season. However, the players' expectations had been raised and I believe that had a lot to do with the history of flagrant breaches seen since then. All of this is due to the former NBL management, not BA.

The other point I'd like to make is about the AFL. Originally the AFL was set up as an expanded VFL, both in terms of the teams involved and its management structure. In time, the management structure changed and teh Australian Football Commission ceased to be dominated by parochial interests centred on the welfare of Victorian based teams. I reckon that happened in teh early to mid 1990s. Correct me please if that's wrong. Anyway, since that management structure focused on the broader welfare of the AFL as a national competition was introduced, the sport has grown hugely in terms of revenue, quliaty as a product, media coverage and spectator participation. I think there are some useful analogies to what BA seems to be trying to do in at the moment with teh NBL as the flagship national competition for basketball.

Reply #235688 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Jonno, don't think in years gone by and particularly post September when the powers that be were in Brisbane for the Bullets relaunch function and since then that she hasn't give those bigwigs a good serve too!
She is the one with contacts down south that were trying to bait Foxtel against One HD in a bidding war just before Foxtel announced their $35mil deal, but with all the dirty laundry getting aired since then, it's little surprise that both got cold feet and stopped taking it seriously.

Reply #235689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754