Next
Years ago

SA Tribunal too light

North Adelaide coach years ago chased a Ref in to the car park at HIllcrest, Result - Not Guilty

State coach recently been ejected more than three times and when reported by the Referee - Not Guilty

Ex SA coach man handeling a fan and received one game

Just a few examples of poor behavior not being penalised by the SA Tribunal process - no wonder people think they can continue to abuse young junior umpires and get away with it (They can!!!)

No wonder people find it funny to abuse umpires on this site

Topic #19878 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't want to derail your thread which is important, but I do want to clarify that making light of anonymous incidents involving refs <> "abuse".

Reply #235521 | Report this post

whinge whinge  
Years ago

Change this thread to SA ref on a power trip has a whinge when frivolous charge is thrown out by tribunal and given stern talking to by tribunal chairman.

Reply #235524 | Report this post

Next  
Years ago

The point Isaac is that umpires in SA do cop it - especialy in junior basketball and then the tribunal basicly have a bad record of soft penalty

If this continues then the problem will get worse because people will quit and then there will be even less umpires to cover the games

I think the sport is booming as far as junior participation is concerned which means you need more and more qualified umpires

I would like to know what people think

should there be zero exceptance of bad behavior in juniors and maybe an automatic suspension if a coach is ejected?

Reply #235527 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Umpires from all states in all countries cop it. It's part of being an umpire...

Reply #235528 | Report this post

Next  
Years ago

Yes but if a coach continualy abuses umpires and the umpire penalises him for it the association should suspend the coach

That is all I am saying, this way the umpires can aim to improve based on the coaching they get from there own people

Reply #235531 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Next, I'm offering no comment on the tribunal decisions because I don't know the details - just pulling you up on your claim of the ref stories thread being "abuse". Obviously the topic itself is worth discussion.

Reply #235533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt that same State/SASI coach get ejected again during the recent State Champs? Surely BSA have to take a stand against this behaviour in junior basketball. The game is in a bad enough state as it is.

Reply #235565 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

I had a player ejected from a reserves game 4-5 weeks ago for walking on the court during some push and shove. The bylaw states he is automatically suspended for the next game, no tribunal, no questions asked. Just got an email from BSA informing us of the law and making sure we didnt suit him the next week. Any ejection for a player comes with this penalty, sounds like coaches are on easy street.

Reply #235579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next, i think that your idea is gud in theory however what happens if Coach A gets ejected but it is pretty soft and probably wasn't necessary. Eg, referee misses foul, coach cries out, gets his/her 2nd tech and is ejected. In a situation like this the referee is at fault because they missed the call, and yes i agree that the coach is at fault too.

However, as a current referee, i so often see coaches getting technical fouls called when they aren't warranted. I also see coaches getting away with murder but when one of these referees on so called 'power trips' ejects a coach for something petty, what happens?? DO they have a right of appeal?? Will it still go to tribunal or will it be an automatic penalty??

As in all of basketball there is allot of grey area that needs to be addressed. one penalty covering a rule that can be enforced because of numerous situations makes it difficult to set a standard.

Reply #235590 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I pose the question - why do refs ref - coz they cannot play = for many a huge chip on their shoulders and a lot out there have personal agendas against other players who have gone onto success when they have given up coz they roolised they just aint goin nowhere and yes I know it is the minority but there are some bad egg refs out there!!

Reply #235592 | Report this post

Dogga  
Years ago

If ref's like you deliberately eject a coach because you dont like them, where does that leave the sport?

Ejection doesn't mean suspension.

Maybe if ref's were demoted if they went to the tribunal and the player was found not guilty ten we wouldn't have so many problems.

Fairly soona ref will lie on their report and it will be taken out into common law courts and then we will see suits that destroy any chance of ref's being supported.

Reply #235608 | Report this post

Ho Chi Mihn  
Years ago

The hole tribunal system is a joke. A few years back during a reserves game we had a player spit in the other ref's face and rip up the score sheet half way through the game. When we went to the tribunal he was found not guilty. From that day on I never reported anyone again.

Reply #235654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we all need to cool down and look at this in perspective. We need refs and players to respect each other. Coaches can and do cross the line, players can and do cross the line and refs can and do cross the line.
We need to establish where that line is. Violence, intimidation etc of an official should be a holiday.
Refs who tech coaches for the sake of it should have to produce evidence of their decision because too many times its an official flexing muscle as opposed to a warranted event.
Coaches who receive 2 warranted techs should automatically not be able to coach the following week.
Player's who receive an exit should get a mandatory number of weeks automatically.
Spitting on a player or official, physical violence etc should be a year.
Many of these issues arise because the standard of both players and officials is so low and because children are officiating in and at division 1 level at all age groups.
Pay more for officials, show respect when warranted and silence when it's not with a report on the refs mandatory after each div 1 game, by all coaches, and maybe we will get less trouble.
Coaches can approach good refs, refs can explain to good players but we all need to show some respect or have channels where all this crap is sorted out.

Reply #235662 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

all those soft fouls are ruining the game

Reply #235721 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Way before giving a tech, if more ref's talked with coaches, explained their decision, admitted they didn't see something, and maybe just occasionally admitted they made a mistake, I think most coaches would be more forgiving. I'm a coach and I try to tell my players to compare how many mistakes they make compared to the ref's and they shut up pretty quick, but the difference is my boys take responsibility for their actions, to many ref's don't.

Reply #235814 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754