starvin marvin
Years ago

Good article in Sydney Morning Herald

This article was in the SMH today by Richard Hinds who usually writes about AFL and he makes interesting comarisons to how it is run compared to the NBL.

SMH story

Topic #19879 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

marvin, I liked that story too especially the glimmer-of-hope finishing reference to LeBron. Seemed to avoid really calling anyone out though.

Reply #235523 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Accurate perspective on a number of fronts except for MJ.... once in a Millenium more like it.

Reply #235550 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know - LeBron is pretty close to having the basketball world captivated. If he can take the Cavs to the championship, the impact (in the manner being discussed in the piece) will be pretty similar.

Reply #235560 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Nice to read something that wasnt all doom & gloom.

Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply #235574 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Interesting connection between the halcyon days of NBL and the attention Jordan brought to basketball worldwide. Obviously, the NBL has to get its product right, but I think the return of great FTA NBA coverage on ONE needs to be exploited by the NBL. If teenagers all over the country aren't tuning in and being blown away by NBA on ONE, I'm a Lakers fan.

Once you're hooked on the NBA, but can't get to a game, the next thing you are going to want to do is go see a live NBL game! BA should do everything it can to attract NBA teams/ players to Australia for games or other promotions. Someone needs to be thinking how we can get Bogut, Brown, Mills, Jawai and Anderson in Europe working their contacts in the off-season to get whoever they can out here. Imagine if we could the Bucks out here to play either Mills team (once he hopefully gets drafted) or Anderson's Euro outfit? Ogilvy's NCAA team (Vanderbilt?) would be great too. So many opportunities for someone who knows how to make these things happen.

Reply #235576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is amazing is that this article was actually in the print version of the Sydney Morning Herald. Basketball in the SMH... incredible. Nearly dropped my coffee when I saw it.

Reply #235609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754