LC
Years ago

NBL to "find" a Victorian club to make it 8

Just read this on The Age website...

Sorry if it is already posted elsewhere.

"But despite the withdrawal of the Melbourne Tigers and the South Dragons from the planned league, BA and the other seven clubs have decided they will find a Victorian representative to add to their ranks."

So who will that team be?

I would assume an SEABL team taking a step up? My guess if that is the case it may be Knox based on the newly formed relationship with the new home venue to be built? They are after all a massive club...

Topic #19881 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Are they going to find them and hope they can afford it, or are they going to fund their involvement?

Reply #235563 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Will be an interesting result/outcome in any case...

Reply #235566 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Not a bad move really, this will force the Tigers and Dragons hand. With another Victoria team in the league will they be able to hold onto their lineups for the 2010 season, might make one of them commit to the league.

Reply #235582 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What happens to the licenses of Tigers & Dragons? Don't they have to give it back to the NBL. If that is the case, couldn't another buyer be found for the license but not using the Tigers or Dragons brand? The new Melbourne team would then recruit players, probably focus on ex Tigers & Dragons and have another NBL team in the league instead of a lesser grade team joining purely to make up the numbers. It would probably be too late to start from scratch like that for this coming season but there is no reason why it couldn't join the following year. I would be saying no to the Tigers and Dragons owners next year as they are not required if there is another replacement team in Melbourne.

Reply #235588 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I'm not gunna have a go at victorians, but will fans of either tigers or dragons jump on the new team if there is one?

Reply #235594 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Geelong

Reply #235600 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gaze did mention Geelong , on Sunday.
( Knox kinda sounds interesting . )

Reply #235601 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'll attend NBL games no matter where they are played in Melbourne - will I jump on - no - im a sixer fan but i'll pay my cash and watch some ball!

Reply #235607 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gotta love The Australian outing the NBL's secret cap from last season:

The talks confirmed each club would have a salary cap of $1million, a reduction of $200,000 on last season. A league commission was also formed.

Reply #235610 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

More from today's Herald-Sun in Mebourne: http://linky.com.au/1pasb

"Melbourne Tigers urgened to join new league"

I still don't get how they can cal it a new league...it's just the same old teams...missing a few of their old friends...

Reply #235617 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And just found thsi on The Age website today: http://linky.com.au/ocur9

"Basketball Victoria's chief executive Wayne Bird told The Age that he was planning to meet with Sengstock last night to discuss his proposal."

"We'll be very happy to have that conversation, and then with a knowledge of potential timelines and other details, we can then certainly take that opportunity and discuss that with our associations," Bird said."

"The general manager of the Dandenong Basketball Association, Graeme Allen, told The Age yesterday his organisation was supportive of the idea of an association-based team in Melbourne. "We would certainly do anything we can to assist and work with BA and BV along those lines," he said."

So could the team be Dandenong? They have the venue capable of seating around 2-3 thousand.

The 8th team could be Dandenong, Knox or Melbourne.

Dandenong already has a WNBL team, so they have a model in place to shift to the men's side that wouldn't need too much tweaking?

Reply #235618 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The tweaking would be the fact that most SEABL teams operate on a total budget of about 200k. That's for admin and total player payments.

Its a massive jump to a salary cap of 1 million PLUS operating costs, paying a coach, flights, admin, marketing, advertising etc etc etc. So unless one of those associations (and it wont be Knox) find a sponsor to tip in a squillion dollars or BA & BV decide to subsidise the team similar to the initial Sydney team scenerio, i find it difficult to see how a SEABL team could find the funds to JUMP up to the NBL.

Cant see it happening. Thats just my opinion.

Reply #235624 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I didn't think the salary cap from last year was a secret Isaac.

Reply #235703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, it wasn't officially listed as $1.2m so it's funny to see it acknowledged as such in that way.

Reply #235726 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

without the best bball state in the nations - then any national program is not going to make it. VIC has always had the best players

Reply #235731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754