Isaac
Years ago

Basketball Ideas Summit

If BA, owners, whatever it is about the current setup, simply cannot come up with the right ideas and establish what clubs need to do to take a large step forward, or cannot afford professional consultants, then could we do worse than have a basketball ideas summit across Australia?

Think of it along the lines of the 2020 summit from a while back.

Invite basketball people to submit their case to be involved. They might be current players, ex-players, owners, sponsors, administrators, uninvolved marketers who like sport, vocal fans, media or heavily involved in junior basketball in development.

Either pick from submissions or invite people directly, but pick 100 names, and maybe a few reserves.

Put them into groups of 10 and give them tools to communicate online - mailing list per group, show them tools like Writeboard (collaborative document writing), Basecamp (project management), etc.

Give each group the same 5-10 categories to cover - things like local club marketing, broader league marketing, players, parity, branding, grassroots, financial viability of clubs, future planning, game nights, etc.

Define any fixed points of information: data about the timing of the NBA, European leagues, ABL, SEABL, NZ NBL, AFL, A-League, Cricket, etc; rough information about typical salaries and club budgets historically; perhaps that BA lacks government funding and needs some way of getting $x00k/yr to support international programs, etc.

Name a deadline for a progress report, and then a deadline for a final submission.

And then leave the groups to do introductions and then get down to business brainstorming ideas, picking the best, and developing them.

It could be that the progress report date is for an organiser to check that groups were on track. Or it could be that each group presents to the others and then groups can absorb that outside information, take the cream, and withdraw to keep nailing down the best of what they have.

Eventual goal would be to find the ideas that are yet to be found or improve what's already out there and nail down things in key categories: guidelines/best practice for linking to grassroots basketball including ways of getting young players and parents to games, number of school visits per week, ways of presenting at school visits, etc; consistent, efficient game night planning; shared marketing tactics at a club level including ways to define and measure those tactics; a decision on salary and points caps and ways of enforcing the former - you get the picture.

Surely suitable parties would be eager to volunteer their time, meaning that such an exercise could be worth trying - never know what it might uncover.

If BA are broke or disorganised, crowdsource what's needed.

Would it be worth trying?

Topic #19882 | Report this topic

Sound good to me!

Reply #235569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd travel anywhere it would take to be involved in that!

Reply #235577 | Report this post

Sounds great as long as they are prepared to listen

Reply #235584 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Brilliant idea but could BA afford it????

Reply #235585 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It wouldn't cost anything. Volunteers, free services on the net, one organiser spending a bit of time now and then to check in on things.

Reply #235591 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Definately worth doing it

Reply #235602 | Report this post

kmtw  
Years ago

Hawks did a similar one of these in 2004 did not help them or did it there still there at the table

Reply #235606 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Like it...

Reply #235622 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Linky Party!

Reply #235636 | Report this post

Earnie  
Years ago

Very good idea.

I've suggested before on OzHoops the idea of (I think specifically King-related at the time) getting together volunteer 'consultancy' groups of people with the kind of marketing experience/brain the clubs and league could otherwise not afford. They don't have the cash, but they are still in a very attractive industry  sport  and there would be plenty of branding/advertising/marketing/promo/pr types out there who would happily give up a few hours a month to help out, both advise and actually offer services. So if you get something like this off the ground, it would be worth taking a shot in that direction.

Modular Records (Presets, Cut Copy, Wolfmother etc), who are wholly backed by Universal Music and not exactly stretched for cash or resources have just begun something similar this month. I know quite a few people who are 'applying' for this. They know it's a bit of a joke, Modular are trading their ultra cool status for free work from people who otherwise get paid ridiculous amounts by the hour, but they're all still clamoring to do it. http://linky.com.au/677pm

Basketball doesn't have quite the same cool-by-association to trade off, or launch parties at Hemmesphere with Snoop Dogg and the Beastie Boys, but there might be quite a few dormant basketball fans out there in these positions who also want to see it work, or at very least a few smart wankers who'd quite like to tell people at the bar that they're "A Brand Manager for Company X, and also a Special Consultant to the National Basketball League".

Reply #235648 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not to mention, up and coming designers and the like who'd love to get more stuff for their portfolio. And by spreading the involvement over a number of people and groups, you'd resist being reliant on the one marketing guy who turns out to be a clueless wanker.

Reply #235674 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

1 vote yes.

Reply #235750 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

not having a crack at anyone there are we isaac?

Reply #235763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't until Cricket Australia (ACB)was really challenged by kerry Packer's rebels that Australian cricket became a financially viable sport. B A is a focus skewed organization that cannot see past the eastern seaboard and needs to be shaken , not stirred with real intent.
If ever the time was right for a rebel national basketball league, now is it.
Free to air telecasts of an ABL type semi pro league might just be the way to go and who knows what might grow from the grassroots of basketball where most hearts and souls want our sport to flourish.

Reply #235764 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

This is a great concept. All you need do is look at the minds that get around on these boards and those at Ozhoops and it makes for a solid base across many disciplines.

Was it Earnie that put together a list about a year ago on Ozhoops of people who had different skills to come together and run the NBL? Whoever it was, as far fetched as that sounds, this type of collaboration (the summit idea) would be a practical way to put all of that latent basketball knowledge to good use!

Reply #235789 | Report this post

BaronBrown  
Years ago

Sounds like a good idea. I would voulunteer for this kind of thing and even fund any travel etc. out of my own hip pocket.

The problem as I see it would be implementation of any reccomendations. I would think these groups should continue to be involved after the recomendations have been accepted by BA to hold BA accountable for making sure they happen.

Reply #235795 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kent - it wasn't actually! That said, the broader idea is partly a crack at BA themselves.

Baron - could be a focus on low budget, cost-effective solutions to problems to tackle that. And obviously if the wider group could collaboratively assemble guides and plans for things like school visits and the like, that would take some load off BA's shoulders.

Another benefit of the idea is that it increases the sense of ownership those involved would have. If you're watching from outside as BA make mistakes and things go to crap, you're less likely to champion their cause directly and reverse the decline we've seen in basketball's brand.

I think you could probably find 10 people in each of 10 categories - possibly allow others to chip in with ideas but not overwhelm the primary discussions.

1 - current players
2 - past players still involved in the game
3 - association heads/administrators
4 - owners or GMs from clubs (Cowan, Clarke from NZ, Marvin from Perth, etc)
5 - potential owners or reps (Mills from Wellington, someone from Sydney, someone from Brisbane, etc)
6 - media (Boti, Ross Lewis, etc)
7 - BA or related staff (Sengstock, Howster, etc)
8 - vocal fans (people like Earnie from OzHoops, Kevy47, Mookie from Stern Warning, etc)
9 - volunteer marketing/branding consultants
10 - grassroots association people (junior development officers, refs, etc)

I might have forgotten a crucial field, so pipe up if you've got any ideas.

Reply #235807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon - rebel league can't involve players who have international aspirations or want international clearances (presumably to play in Europe, etc).

If BA can't get the reform right, then I agree some sort of upheaval is in the best interests of the sport at professional men's level in Australia, but I don't think they can get it done with a rebel league unless the clubs band together and start making enough moves that force BA to move closer to their position.

Reply #235808 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Would DDFan be invited?!?

Reply #235809 | Report this post

Earnie  
Years ago

I guess, two obvious distinct stages:

1. What kind of league, size, how it's run etc, and what is realistically possible. Owners, BA people, Players, Associations, BBall Media, Fans + Non basketball people from sports media, consultants, sports marketers etc for a dose of harsh market reality.

2. How to make it work. Same as above + volunteer branding, marketing, communications types.

Third stage would be localising, taking it down to a club level. Important as I think there are two distinct groupings, never more evident than right now. Regionals + Smaller Capitals, and then the three major capital cities. Not all the issues are shared, or have the same weight.

I imagine the BA response would be "we've just done this big review" but it just seems to be (at least in what is out there publicly) nothing more than the hundreds of simple, common sense posts on boards like this. "We probably need to market a bit and re-connect with the grassroots". Woah.

Reply #235823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good points.

And yeah, I am beginning to suspect that what you've joked about is the extent of how far BA have taken this - in that practical, here's what to actually do sense. Owners don't need to be told "connect with grassroots", they need to be shown that there is a real plan: timelines, checklists, audits and spot checks from the league ("Teacher, did Chris Anstey actually show up for clinic x? Can you complete this survey about the clinic? Thanks."), metrics, tools, etc.

Reply #235833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754