Suga
Years ago

The 8th team could be Knox or Tigers

From what I am gathering, two possibilities.

First. Basketball Victoria are pushing for the Knox Raiders, who play in the SEABL and have a new 5,000 seat stadium, to join the newNBL.

Secondly and this is where it gets twisted... The Melbourne Tigers. I don't know anything more than they are having a board meeting on Thursday and the possibility of a late bid will be discussed.

Will keep you updated when I find out more.

Topic #19883 | Report this topic

knox_team  
Years ago

the Raiders do not have a new 5000 seat stadium- Knox and Basketball Victoria and the Football Federation of Victoria have just received funding to build a new sporting complex with a 3000 seat show-court in stage one of the plans with the opportunity to expand it eventually to 5000 seats.
Being Knox works on being funded (senior teams in seabl) by its junior and senior domestic competition largely I would highly doubt they alone could afford to be a part of the NBL.

Reply #235603 | Report this post

Russell  
Years ago

Well, the new stadium at Knox is a while off yet. For now they would have to make do with Boronia (capacity 2000 according to SEABL, could probably shoehorn a few more in)

That is, unless they want to play games somewhere else (SNHC/Dandenong) but sort of defeats the purpose. You could dig up a building in the east large enough to knock up a temporary stadium (high school/factory) but it's a lot of stuffing around for not much benefit.

I'd go along to newNBL games at Boronia, and there are plenty of people out this way that would as well.

Reply #235604 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Let me give you one small inside tip.................It wont be Knox. And that came from the mouth of someone very high up in the organisation.

Reply #235619 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dandenong is the Association that is more than likely going to be the one to step up if it actually happens...check the other thread relating to the 8th for the links...

Reply #235621 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I think it's highly possible that the Melbourne Tigers will backflip on their decision not to play this season. I hope they end up in the comp politics bullshit put aside, I struggle to imagine the league without them in it.

Reply #235672 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I was driving to work this morning in Melbourne and was heading through Port melb and saw young Mr Anstey in a rather full on conversation with Giddey on the side of the road. Might have just been talking about the weather but there were lots of arms flapping about. A bit like Anstey in the post really lol

Reply #235683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Cowan and Geminder, put your gripes to the side and come back.

Sure, it may be impossible to make money this season, but will you really lose $1m - which is what a new license will cost you next year?

If the Tigers get in first and change their mind, do you really think BA will bother with a 2nd team next year?

For the sake or yourselves, players, coaches, staff, volunteers, members, supporters and Victorian basketball; grow up and get back on board.

Reply #235700 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

money SHOULD have nothing to do with the Dragons pulling out - everyone knew they were losing up to $3m a year already...

Reply #235737 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Mark Lewis on radio - Larry told the sixers, yesterday - that they are trying to get 8th team 'playing out of Knox'

Reply #235761 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong but isn't Knox about an hour drive out of Melbourne? Why would they want a team based that far out? To me it would seem pointless and a waste of time and would be more like a semi-regional team, not a Melbourne team.

Reply #235787 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm in Adelaide - so I can only go on what BA told the sixers, and that Vic Govt. is funding Knox stadium - that's all I can really say - as I don't know Melbourne all that well.
Going by the topic - if it's not Knox then -
does it follow that it's the Tigers ?

Reply #235791 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Knox would be just about in the middle (or at least on the edge) of the most populated region of basketballers on the planet. The question should be "why wouldnt you" put an NBL team right in the middle of it?

An yes it is about 45-60 minutes out of the city...but so is Dandenong...

Reply #235793 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The fact that the stadium isnt going to be built for 18 months might pose you a slight problem

Reply #235842 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The eighth team is to play out of Knox when the stadium is built.

It wont be run by Knox, or Dandenong indvidually. The plan is for the team to be overseen by Basketball Victoria, with associations that wish to be involved as shareholders.

As is mentioned here, the Tigers are still very much a chance. Their bluff has been called, they dont want to miss a season, they just assumed the season would be called off when they and the Dragons pulled out.

If they decide to enter, and are allowed in, it will make interesting times for the Dragons. BA wants teams in the three big cities that are partly run by the state associations - quite rightly.

So if the Tigers are back in, the second Melbourne team will most likely come from Bball Vic, and the Dragons would have to enter a joint entity, using their brand, if they wish to resurface under those conditions.

Intriguing... But it looks reasonably likely there will be a Melbourne team, leading to a TV deal slightly better than last year, and an 8 team comp will then go ahead.

Also, dont be surprised if a pseudo government entity - ie a private company that was set up by the govt and is funded by the govt - is a naming rights or major sponsor next year.

BA will be pushing hard for govt funds, and that is an easy way for govt to provide such support without looking like they are providing charity to a pro sports league.

Reply #235883 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds great - that's exactly what Perth asked for.
( which sounded a bit hard to get ) -But it's been done.

Reply #235889 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'As is mentioned here, the Tigers are still very much a chance. Their bluff has been called, they dont want to miss a season, they just assumed the season would be called off when they and the Dragons pulled out.

If they decide to enter, and are allowed in, it will make interesting times for the Dragons. BA wants teams in the three big cities that are partly run by the state associations - quite rightly.'

How much longer can BA and the teams wait until they know what is happening? Seriously it is becoming a joke.

Reply #235903 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

How long will Melbourne Tigers take to respond to an official invitation to re join the league.

( otherwise it's a BV composite team )

Reply #235915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it was a joke before, it's not getting any funnier.

Reply #235924 | Report this post

blakey  
Years ago

srsly they should have done that ages ago about wat they mite be trying 2 do with getting associations to b a supporting base of an NBL team
.... this will just make it so their is that grass roots support 4 them and it will also make a pathway 4 juniors from the rep clubs supporting the NBL team that is no where 2 b found at the moment
2 b honest there is no pathway in2 the NBL as a junior, unless u go 2 the AIS then u wont b seen...if somebody says that the path way is 2 play 4 ur club team thru bigV then seabl then get picked up by an NBL team that is shit ud b like 23 at least by the time u get 2 go 2 the NBL...with the reform they need 2 make a clearer pathway as there r so many talented young basketballers in the country, we have the something like the 2nd most ppl playing the sport other than the US n look at how shitty our pro league is, its a disgrace

Reply #236029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754