Isaac
Years ago

SOS consortium media release

Just received this from Mark Lewis, spokesperson for the 'SOS' consortium looking at taking over the 36ers.

Last night the consortium of local business people and passionate Sixers supporters met subsequent to the NBL meeting in Melbourne where representatives of the clubs, including the Sixers consortium, met to discuss various issues including the future of the league both on an interim and ongoing basis.

The consortium remains committed to securing the future of the Adelaide 36ers and therefore an elite men's basketball team in Adelaide subject to the NBL satisfying some conditions and providing comfort around some concerns as well as the commitment from the current team and Dome owners regarding transfer of the licence and securing tenure of the Dome on satisfactory commercial terms.

Whilst the last few days has seen a level of speculation and emotion regarding the future of the Sixers, the consortium is heartened by the enormous levels of support and passion being displayed by the basketball community. Clearly it is this community support which will be an important aspect contributing to the future success of the Sixers in any proposed elite mens national league.

The consortium representatives are in continuous contact with BA representatives and we hope to be in a position to make a more formal announcement in the very near future.

Topic #19890 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to finally hear something from the consortium themselves. Also great to put a name to the group. Very happy Mark Lewis is one. I've heard whispers of other names, but am not sure who else we know is actually part of the group.
Assuming the group gets it all together, the interesting questions will be, who is actually going to run the club? Will Bauer stay as Op manager? Who will be okaying expenses, salaries etc...?
Interesting times ahead.

Reply #235720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who else is on this group and why such a secret?

Reply #235724 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Mark Lewis
Chris Fuss
Richard Hill
Paul Finlay
Darryl Simmons
Chek Ng (although I have heard he pulled out as he didn't want to lose buckets of money)

Reply #235728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume they want to keep it to themselves until they are certain what is happening. They probably also want to have a single spokesperson.
Apart from Mark Lewis, there has been the accountant guy (I forget his name) and I also heard that Chek Ng is involved.
Anyone heard any others?

Reply #235729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks number 44, you beat me to it!

Reply #235730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chek is probably moving on into a career as a comedian after his speech last Saturday.

Reply #235735 | Report this post

Chek is going even better and soon he will be on dancing with the stars !

Reply #235738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, nice to just hear something from the people involved and just want to extend my thanks that these people are at least giving an shit about the heritage unlike someone.

Reply #235739 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I saw a news report in Melbourne last night that showed footage of the meeting of all clubs with BA. The people involved from the Adelaide consortium were clearly visable - was this report aired in Adelaide?

I wont name those who I saw. I think we should leave it to them to be known when they consider the time is right.

Reply #235745 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Mark Lewis on radio fiveaa , just then for about 10mins. Sounds pretty good - 7 people involved.
newstyle printing and fiveaa would like to sponsor the 36ers.

Reply #235759 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

To Isaac,
Most of us don't have the ability to contact the SOS people and let our feelings be known.
Would you be able to set up an internet petition where all passionate supporters could enter their e-mail addresses as a form of support and also as a contact point if required ?

Reply #235760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Mark say his, (sos), was a non conforming bid B A was comfortable with which begs the question as to why B A didn't accept Mal's non conforming bid.
Can seven heads work as one?
On another tack, hypothetically, if some one pretended to own a chocolate factory which really belonged to another is there a tax implication there for anyone and if , heaven forbid, the owner was bankrupted would that constitute problems for Willie Wonka?

Reply #235765 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

great to put a face and some names to the bid. Really appreciate their efforts wherever it may end up. Think it really shows the love for the club in the state its just a shame that it got to this point.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think stephen rowe worked for newstyle so maybe that is the connection there.

Reply #235767 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes - stephen rowe does still work for newstyle printing (and fiveaa) - and, mentioned to Mark Lewis that they both will be involved with sponsorship.

Reply #235769 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

Newstyle printing has been a regular supporter and sponsor for many years, glad to see they will be staying on board.

Reply #235772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fill, what sort of contact are you looking to make? If professional support (promises of sponsorship or something, I guess you could contact the Bernie Lewis head office and try to catch Mark when he's available). If just general messages of support, then posting them to the forum will do - a couple of the consortium members read and post here.

Reply #235803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac what happened with Chek's speech? What was so funny?

Reply #235805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At Darren's wedding. Just had some amusing lines and what might've been an unintentional jab at Phil Smyth. Sorry, don't have a transcript...

Reply #235813 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Video on You-tube uploaded by Hackney High mate was taken down :(

Reply #235815 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Would be good to get Darren suited up again.

For those who need a reminder, check this out ....

Reply #235817 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

link didn't work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulbdTH9XUs

Some really good 3's in there

Reply #235818 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mark Lewis - instant credibility - Boti mentions,this morning, and you could hear the respect from Cornsey and Rowie,last nite.

Reply #235825 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I just want to add my vote of support to the SOS guys. I really appreciate that you are all willing to put your hard earned on the line to save my favourite team! I hope the sale goes through soon and that the new NBL will give you a fair crack at breaking even with a competitive side in the near future. Good luck guys. Looking forward to attending the first game in season 2009-10!!!

Reply #235872 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, I'm not in the position to sponsor, but have been a season ticket holder for 23 years. I wanted the SOS team to know that there are a pile of passionate supporters out here who do appreciate what they are trying to accomplish.

Reply #235892 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I heard Chek was still involved but only as a silent partner. My guess is he doesn't want to be involved in that capacity so Darren can make his return to the team without negative feedback from the public, no conflict of interest like Marino faces.

Reply #235901 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good point Panther, but the big diffy is that the ninja has already played for the Sixers and was a top player.

Reply #235906 | Report this post

Dog 15  
Years ago

Then what about Brad Hill?

Reply #235909 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Brad's skills would find a place in any NBL team.

Reply #235916 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Jack

I don't beletve Darren would be on yhe radar with any team unless he is full time basketball. The modern game will demand full committment

Reply #235949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO (and that of many other passionate fans) Darren and Brad are both HIGHLY DESERVING players of contracts and positions with the 6'ers, regardless of a parent being involved in the financial support and coaching roles of the club. All we needed was some dedicated, knowledgeable, business wise people to stand up and fight for our club and the SOS have done that, they deserve full credit and I applaude them for detangling the hammerling web. IMO Now all the club needs is to secure the key performing players, keep the Coach motivated to succeed, hire all new office staff, capible staff with qualifications in event/sports management, marketing and PR, and all the 6'ers fans get behind the team and we can come back bigger and better than ever from this mess. All hail the SOS I say! I am really looking forward to being a seasoln ticket holder again and hope the new team will be even better then before! :)

Reply #236367 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hehe..i dont think the league will demand full commitment...as its only a part time league :)

Both Darren and Brad are proven performers, i cant see there being an issue if they were to be 36ers.

Reply #236417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754