Defence wins Games
Years ago

McLeod to coach Hawks

The Australian reports that Gordie today was named the new coach of Wollongong Hawks for the 2009/10 season.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25499992-5013449,00.html

Topic #19923 | Report this topic

I feel sorry for Eric Cooks.
Given the lowest team salary in the NBL to work with and Cooks always put a competitive team on the floor.

Ironically by sticking to a low budget team he gave the city the opportunity to play again whereas the other teams, including Adelaide, rorted the salary cap for years and won't be playing.

Reply #236223 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

slumdog that is rubbish in reference to Cooks having lower budget, he had more money than when joyce was coaching at the hawks last season.

He demonstrated many times he cant coach at this level, you only had to watch his time outs, they were just as hilarious as Fischer's at Perth.

I think KARMA has comeback to cooks.

Reply #236251 | Report this post

notCCarlin  
Years ago

Is that because he didn't follow you to Gold Coast?

Reply #236259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How so re karma? It was clear that the Hawks didn't want to retain Joyce. How is taking the vacant position so awful?

From what I hear, Cooks worked with a much lower budget than what Brendan had. I think he did pretty well with the talent he had available, especially the season before last.

Reply #236260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder who will be his assistant coach

Reply #236285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drb, mate you are kidding yourself! What are you basing your comments on? Wollongong had 10 contracted players, thats it.
Tez and Balls for a start were on twice as much as Kavossy and Dusty.
Cooks is an astute coach, who is very analitical, knowledgable and thorough.
Gordie is an excellent choice, lets hope cookie will come on board as well, they will work well together.

Reply #236327 | Report this post

Who else but Cooks could team up with Gordie ?

With so few teams in the league no doubt Gordie will have plenty of assistant coaches to select from ?

Reply #236343 | Report this post

Drb = Hater  
Years ago

Drb, I read your posts from last year "Wollongong Hawks Next season" and what that shows is your a blatant liar. You've been found out. Your Karma has come back and bitten you as a person who isn't valid, a pimple on the butt of mediocrity. Your a voice no one should listen too. Go away hater.
Nearly every player Cooks coached had their best years, its a fact. Go and check it out statiscally. And that includes Sav, Matty, Cam T, Rigby, Martin, Kavossy. He did this while paying the lowest team salary and getting paid less than any other coach.
Go away (ccarlin) Hater, you've been found out as a liar.

Reply #236423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754