Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut on HoopsWorld All-Overated team

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12730

"is 12 points, 10 rebounds and one blocked shot per contest really worth $12 million annually for a former number one overall pick? "

Topic #19971 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

He's overatted by many Australians, this forum, and some Bucks fans (though i think a lot of Bucks fans have already considered him a bust).

Bogut at best will achieve as much as Joe Smith.

Reply #236834 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Who wouldve thought you would reply to this Humpa :P

This is pretty harsh, I admit Bogut shouldnt have been the number one draft pick NOW. But at the time he was the most dominant force in College. He is far from a bust and will be better than Joe SMith. If he continues to improve like he is and gets a coach and system that includes him in the offense it is not unreasonable to see him averaging 16-18 ppg and 11-12 boards per...

Reply #236840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quite a lot of NBA fans in the US already consider him a bust.

Reply #236841 | Report this post

The Real Humpa  
Years ago

Once again the comments above are not those of the Real Humpa

Reply #236851 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

Bogut can pontentially be the second best centre in the East as Howard is the only decent one, as he can easily average 18 and 10 and previously had a stretch were he went 20 and 10 if im correct so it is possible and in terms of bust Olowakandi was a bust, Brown was a bust Bogut is not the best in that draft but still is not a complete bust.

Reply #236854 | Report this post

there's more to a game then just stats

Reply #236858 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i honestly think we have hardly seen the best of the big man!

give him an offseason without injury and a bit of luck with injuries this season and he will help the Bucks to a playoff!

I still rate him.

Reply #236863 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Going number one landed him in a shit situation and unlikely to get out of it and why would he with the money he's getting, no other team is going to offer him anything like that.

No 1 bust sure, but in a draft with very little on offer.

But still has plenty to offer and is still a decent enough big man.

Reply #236877 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

where's the love for Bogi man?

Reply #236878 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

definately overpaid, doesnt matter what pick he is he isnt playing up to what he is being paid. bucks have only themselves to blame for paying him that much. still a decent big man, just overpaid.

Reply #236881 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

let's not forget that he didn't choose to get drafter number 1 - the Bucks did that and they also gave him the contract upgrade so if the Bucks are happy... why would anyone argue?

Reply #236883 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Put him in a system that isn't based around the hungriest ball hog in the league and he'll shine. His best times were when he was allowed to become more of a focal point on offence and he certainly didn't play like a bust then.

Reply #236900 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

If the Bucks run the offense through him he will be 20+ a game

Reply #236905 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

he could be a good Brad Miller type player - good passer, big body - although he is a little more athletic and talented

Reply #236907 | Report this post

davidk  
Years ago

It's okay as long as he is getting overpaid at the same time.

Reply #236918 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Bogut is nowhere near being a bust! A bust is a Kwame Brown, Michael Olowakandi type player who shouldnt have even been drafted in the early 2nd round! Bogut is easily the 4th or 5th best player in that draft.

2005 NBA Draft could look like this:

1.CP3
2.DWill
3.Danny Granger
4.Bogut or Marvin Williams
5.Bogut or Marvin Williams

Reply #236924 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

i rather be overrated n overpaid rather then underrated n underpaid - call me what ya want as long as the 12 mil keeps rolling in

Reply #236928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From one of the comments on the original article:

How about Diop, Dalambert and even Bynum. What has he done since his contract extension???? Put Bogut in LA instead of him and you have Luc Longley mark #2 and rings galore!!!

Reply #236949 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Who is over-rating him? I knew from the day he was drafted at #1 that he was going to struggle to live up to the enormous expectations that come with that status. That doesn't mean that he is a bust though.

He has improved his rebounding numbers every season. Last season, at 10.3 per game, he was the 5th best rebounding centre in the game. Only Howard, Biedrins, Camby and Jefferson were ahead of him. He also shoots a good percentage from the field and is still recognised as a good passer for a big man.

I'd rate Howard, Okafor and Perkins ahead of him in the East. Horford and Brooke Lopez are good prospects but I don't think are as good as Bogut yet. Ilgauskas is a clutch shooter, but I don't think he is as good overall. Wallace is on the slide and to me is not really a true centre anyway. In the West, clearly Biedrins, Jefferson and Yao are better. You could probably add Duncan and Pau Gasol too, as they play like centres to a large degree. Shaq is still just better as well, but won't be around much longer.

I'd say the main knocks on Bogut are really that he is not a standout either offensively or defensively, and that he is injury prone.

I still think his career could go either way. He has now missed 66 games in 3 seasons, 46 of which came last season. Next season it is critical that he stays injury free - both to counter the injury prone tag, and to have a chance to finish out a season strongly, instead of on the injured list.

The other things he needs to do are:
1) Get a good big man coach to work on his footwork and on developing a consistent hook shot. If you see what Clifford Ray has done for Perkins in Boston, you know that Bogut could improve vastly in this area with the right coaching.
2) Watch tons of video on how Perkins defends the post, because if he just improves his positioning on defence, he can improve his defence a lot as well.
3) Improve his conditioning - when I have watched him, I've noticed that he sometimes seems out of gas sooner than his opponent. When that happens, he gets a bit passive, and opponents get position on him too easily, and draw cheap fouls on him.

If he can at least do two of those three things and help lead the Bucks to the playoffs next year, he will be right back on track as one of the elite centres in the league IMO.

Reply #236958 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Seems like a pretty garbage list.

I dont know anyone who rates Zach Randolph, other than Isiah and Dunleavy who are two of the worst GMs in the NBA.

Reply #236985 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Starting centers ahead of Boguot

East:
Perkins, Dwight, Horford, Noah/Miller, Foster, Okafor, Lopez, Bosh, Lee.

West:
Bynum, Nene, Duncan, Yao, Chandler, Okur, Shaq, Biedrins, Al J, Marc Gasol, Camby, Hawes

Reply #236990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe The Bucks should play Bogut the way Utah played him and allow his passing game to come into play cause I remember back in the day he averaged pretty good number assist-wise.

Reply #237007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would Bogut fit at the 76ers, in place of Dalembert?

Reply #237012 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I would have him at Chi - town, Bogut would be just what is needed there.

Reply #237022 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Your seriously out of your mind if you think Noah and Foster are better than Bogut

Reply #237085 | Report this post

d  
Years ago

im better than bogut he is so bad

Reply #238064 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow Humpa, you are seriously deluded. Of the list you give, Horford and Lopez have a CHANCE to better than Bogut in the long run - but not if Bogut continues to develop and stay healthy.

Guys like Foster, Miller are solid, one or two-dimensional role players and nothing more. Bogut can actually matchup against top centres on both ends of the floor.

Lee - role player and not a true centre anyway. He gets killed in any one on one matchup with a true centre.

Bosh - not a true centre. Different type of player. There is zero point in comparing Bogut to him.

In the West, you might want to actually look at the way Bynum plays before you consider him ahead of Bogut. He has potential, but at the moment, he can't even stay on the floor.

Chandler is soft, and has no offence. About the same as Bogut, maybe a notch below.

Okur - can shoot, but thats about it.

Hawes - LMAO, you're joking right?

Camby - good weak side shot blocker and rebounder but over-rated when it comes to directly defending other centres. No offence. He is well past his prime - not as good as Bogut. Is it a coincidence that Denver's defence got better after they traded him?

Marc Gasol - solid first year but not better than Bogut. Will only be better than Bogut one day if Bogut fails to reach his potential and Gasol overachieves.

Reply #238080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754