LC
Years ago

Cavs @ Magic - Game 3 **Spoiler**

Game is now underway and Orlando are already hopt from downtown, with 2/2 treys to date and a 16-6 lead (Cavs 0/3 on 3's). However Howard has 2 PF's already so may have to sit. James 0/3 from the field so far.

I reckon the Magic can hang on and win game 3.

Topic #19978 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

In fact, the Magic have only missed 1 field goal so far (Turkoglu)! That is hot shooting!

Reply #236889 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Magic up by 6, but LeBron draws Howard's 3rd personal foul to head to the line...as Howard heads back to the bench.

Reply #236890 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

orlando up 42-41 at the half.

Reply #236894 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Late in the game, it seems it is becoming a battle of LeBron vs Howard...

Reply #236908 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I honestly thought that cleveland would dominate the magic, how wrong was I. Nugs just need to beat LA and then im not fussed who wins

Reply #236909 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

WOW, if only lebrons shot missed in game 2!

GO MAGIC!!

Reply #236911 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Wow... Magic just a miracle-3 away from being up 3-0! Still, if they can go back to Cleveland 3-1, they'd be almost unbackable. I certainly didn't see this coming either, mystro. Maybe LeBron isn't ever going to find the right supporting cast at Cleveland... if they don't win it all this year, surely he's going to favour leaving at the end of his current deal.

So, in a hypothetical Magic-Lakers finals series... any forecasts if that was to be the case? I'd say Lakers in a close fight, perhaps 4-2 or 4-3.

Reply #236912 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Wow. I thought that LeBron three might have turned the series but obviously the Magic have other ideas. Having said that the Cavs only needed to win one of these two in Orlando to regain home court advantage. But if Orlando wins Game 4 and it goes to 3-1 then it is over! I recall someone pointing out the Cavs bad record this year against the other "contenders" (Boston, Orlando and the Lakers). It was something like 2-7. I didn't think much of it at the time because playoffs are different but now I am thinking that there might have been something in it.

Also, anyone notice that despite Hedo being 1-11 he was still the Magic's best player in terms of +/-

Reply #236913 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Score anybody?
Box stats even?

Reply #236919 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

yup if lebron can't do it with these guys, he aint gonna do it in Cleveland.
the most important thing at the mo is for LA not to make the final but I don't think thats gonna happen by the way things are looking at the mo.

Reply #236923 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Kriss - 99-89.

Howard 24, Alston 18. LeBron 41.

Reply #236926 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

OK - so what's going wrong with Cleveland's game? Obviously, it's not LeBron (although he didn't shoot well today) I'd say a combination of average play by Mo and Delonte coupled with a complete inability to defend the pick and roll with Lewis popping to the corner and Hedo handling the ball.

As for the Magic, who else like Gortat? No fuss, good hands, good defender and finisher. Great back-up for Howard and outplaying Big Z and Wallace.

Can't count out the Cavs just yet, as LeBron keeps doing things I haven't seen since Jordan and can win another game just off his own back and the Magic have still been very streaky, even today. Playing very well as a team and trusting their strengths which is the fastbreak 3 and the pick and roll.

Reply #236956 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

It is almost as if Mo Williams and Delonte are really feeling the pressure of being in the Conf Finals, and being the favourite. Lebron, Z, and the the majority have been here before, but it is the subpar play of Delonte and Mo that is killing the Cavs.
I thought Mo was big in the 4th Quarter of Game 2 - and basically kept the Cavs ticking with some big shots. But Game 1 and today very disappointing.

But still, its a best of 7 series for a reason - if Cleveland can come back and win Game 4 - then it essentially becomes a best of three with 2 games in Cleveland.

I wonder if Cleveland will attempt to get more athletic in the 4/5 spot next season? Because Howard will be back stronger next season, KG should be fit, and Atlanta's front line will be better. Or a big man who can shoot (Rasheed Wallace) to draw the bigs away from teh hoop and allow Lebron to post up more?

Reply #236959 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Does anyone else think that flagrant call on Johnson was pathetic for that elbow? I cant believe they thought he did that intentionally. The NBA can be f%^$#$% at times.

Reply #236966 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Lebron can put up as many 40 point triple doubles he wants, he needs to learn that the great finishers get to the line in clutch time in finals...... drive and shoot free throws.... drive and shoot free throws..... drive and shoot free throws..... just like Mike, Kobe or D-Wade in the 06 finals.
Maybe he hasn't worked this out seeing how his FT% has stunk it up until late.

Reply #236975 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Woody - flagrant 2 was definitely overkill. Flagrant 1... eh. Maybe. I can see the case for it - he didn't need to swing his elbow like that, and Mo was straight up.

Reply #236980 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

ESP what the hell are you on about Lebron had 24 foul shots today! Is that not enough?

I always thought Magic would be able to compete with the Cleveland because their regular season record was only several wins less then the Cavs. They beat the Cavs 2-1 during the season and the only loss was in Cleveland by 2 points.

Cleveland has played two mediocre teams in the playoffs (Atlanta would normally be good but were injury plagued) so they haven't been tested at all. So I'm not sure why people didn't give magic a chance at all.

I think Cleveland's problem is that Lebron is too good! That might sound weird but because he is way too good he is given the ball and expected to do everything. On the other hand, Kobe plays within the offence and is only required to do everything near the end of the quarters or when they are requiring him to. Perhaps, Kobe was like Lebron earlier in his career and was lucky he had Shaq to pick up the pieces. If a player is scoring 40 points, 10 assist, 10 rebounds and they are losing then that isn't right! I would choose Kobe over Lebron!

You never know Cleveland could come back and win this series but I doubt it at this stage! The key to the magic is to do the best they can on Lebron but really focus on the other guys which they have been doing so well so far.

Reply #236982 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

KingJames - I think ESP is referring to the fact LeBron missed at least 5 free throws in the final quarter, at one stage Howard hit 2 free throws down one end while LBJ, a better ft shooter, missed 2 down the other end leaving Magic up by 6 when it would have been only 2 if roles were reversed.

The key this series for me is that the Cavs have no one who can get close to containing Howard, the only reason he didn't go for 40 was foul trouble (24 points in 25 minutes or similar). With Howard unstoppable inside this leaves it open for their quality three point shooters, and with a 6-10 Turkish playmaker penetrating at will and Lewis hitting a lot of big jumpers they're tough to stop.

Cavs on the other hand have only 1 option, and even though that option is playing well he needs some help. I think the Magic will be hard to beat from here, certainly the surprise packet of the playoffs for me.

Reply #236987 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Thanks Billo, spot on, King James missed the somewhat vital point that you actually need to make those free throws..... for everyone who misunderstood I do apologise..... I thought it would be a given that making the free throws in the clutch was quite important..... my bad.

Reply #237003 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree that Anthony Johnson's flagrant was a joke. It looks bad in slo mo, but Mo was the one who initiated contact and stepped into his driving path from the side (as evidenced by the foul called on him) and AJ was stepping through for the lay up.

There had been some agro between those two a play or two earlier, so maybe there was an attempt by the refs to keep control

Reply #237005 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

the King has a date with the other king, Kobe - that he intends to keep !!

Reply #237010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754