Moose 52
Years ago

FIBA Oceania tournament teams announced

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce the athletes that have been selected to represent Australia at the 2009 FIBA Oceania Championships to be held in Saipan from June 21-27.

Australia is sending both a Men's and Women's team to the tournament, with ten players in each side.

The Women's team will be led by former Opals Assistant Coach Peter Lonergan and Australian Institute of Sport Men's Basketball Assistant Coach Paul Goriss will lead the Men's team.

Australia will be competing against teams from New Zealand, New Caledonia, Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marian Islands.

The experience women's side includes five players with WNBL experience, Hope Terdich, Caitlin Rowe, Rebecca Campigli, Emma Lobb and Catherine Guest. Terdich, Campigli and Guest were all on the Dandenong Rangers' roster while Lobb played for the Perth Lynx and Rowe represented the AIS.

Cassandra Mangos, Nicole Seekamp and Rebecca Cole have all played on the international stage together after winning a gold medal at the 2009 Australian Youth Olympic Festival.

The men's team includes AIS teammates Cameron Bairstow and Jeromie Hill.

Australian Women's

Rebecca Campigli /Vic/ Melbourne Tigers
Rebecca Cole /Vic/ Nunawading Spectres
Samantha Creed /Vic/ Dandenong Rangers
Catherine Guest /TAS/ Dandenong Rangers
Emma Lobb /WA/ Perth Lynx
Cassandra Mangos /NSW/ Illawarra Hawks
Rachel Murray /NSW/ Bathurst
Caitlin Rowe /ACT/
Hope Terdich /Vic/ Dandenong Rangers
Nicole Seekamp (SA) Sturt/AIS

Reserves

Odette Andrews /QLD/ Lady Spartans
Brianna Russell /TAS/ Wynyard

Head Coach: Peter Lonergan  NSW
Assistant Coach: Marissa Fillipou  Victoria
Manager: Michele Menso  AIS

Men's Team

Tom Daly /SA/ Sturt Sabres
Joshua Wilcher /VIC/ Sandringham Sabres
Kurtis Phillips /SA/ West Adelaide Bearcats
Reece Maxwell /WA/ Wanneroo Wolves
Sean Mullan /NSW/ Illawarra Hawks
Ben Purser /WA/ Perry Lake Hawks
Jeromie Hill /QLD/ Cairns/AIS
Claybrin McMath /SA/ Sturt Sabres
Brad Simpson /NSW/ Goulburn
Cameron Bairstow /QLD/ Brisbane Capitals

Reserves

Corey Maynard - SA/ Sturt Sabres
Liam McInerney - VIC/ Kilsyth Cobras
Jan Warbout  SA/ Sturt Sabres

Head Coach: Paul Gorris  AIS
Assistant Coach: Mark Radford  WA
Manager: Kevin White  Victoria
Physiotherapist: Merryn Aldridge  NSW

Referees: Drew Mead  ACT Allyson Ross - NSW

Topic #20000 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Daly, Phillips and McMath.

Reply #237134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are these U21 teams or what?

Reply #237135 | Report this post

Hoops 64  
Years ago

It's a senior tournament but we are sending our Under 20 (Under 19 in FIBA speak!) players who missed out on selection for the Junior Worlds in New Zealand.

Reply #237139 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Congratulations on Thread No. 20,000, Isaac!

Reply #237151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many Australian squads I am really, really struggling to keep track. What is this one for???

Reply #237160 | Report this post

Frogga  
Years ago

The Ocenania tournament.

By being a member of the Oceania group, we get FIBA funds and access to the Worlds and Olmpics, without it, we would not have a guarenteed Oceania spot and woulkd have to qualify similar to how the Soccoroos did. And FIBA Asia would never let us in. We would end up playing 3 or 4 qualifying games against number 3 aisa, 4 America and 6 and 7 europe to qualify ever year. Which we wouldn't do.

By attending these tournament we assist the development of the Oceania area and create good will with FIBA as we get almost all the money for the area due to our qualification to world events.

Reply #237165 | Report this post

Years ago

Thnx Frogga, we get funding from FIBA??? where does FIBAs money come from???? I thought we would have been paying FIBA to get into these tournaments!

Reply #237170 | Report this post

Years ago

I use the term "we" loosely. as in Bsaketball Australia

Reply #237172 | Report this post

The Dark Side  
Years ago

Can't wait for the calls on here that Sturt must have had a hand in the selection process. And that basketball will not improve until zoning occurs nationally.

3 Selected and 2 Reserves. Plus 1 in the 1st team.

1+1 from the rest of the State.

PS congrated to Kurty and Madg.

Reply #237173 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Sturt didn't have a hand in selection, they just recruit all the good players from other clubs - get it right TDS

Reply #237196 | Report this post

The Dark Side  
Years ago

Yeah, all those players have only ever played for Sturt in SA. With one having moved from interstate, but not playing for another SA club.

But I'm sure they can come up with something. Wait with baited breath.

Reply #237205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did people get selected for this?

Reply #240359 | Report this post

Luke Skydunker  
Years ago

You have to have played for Sturt dummy dont you get it?......

Reply #240377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha yer but there is a 2 WA guys in it, and i couldnt believe it when i heard it.. thats why i was just curious as to how people get selected

Reply #240447 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I would find it extremely hard to believe that we recieve any money from FIBA seeing BA pay to have referees accredited. They pay for FIBA to come out to Austarlia etc. Id bet most things that we pay FIBA plenty and get zero $$$$ in return

Reply #240451 | Report this post

Giraffe 86  
Years ago

I would have thought it was pretty obvious. They were selected from performances at nationals in Townsville and at AIS/Aus camps, just like every other national team.

Reply #240458 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Hardly a senior team

Reply #240463 | Report this post

Giraffe 86  
Years ago

Australia don't send senior teams to these tournaments. Neither does New Zealand. Otherwise they would beat the snot out of the various Pacific Islands. This team looks like Emus A and the New Zealanders have done something similar.

Reply #240468 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I agree, its just ridiculous to call it a senior team or tournament

Reply #240475 | Report this post

Giraffe 86  
Years ago

It is a senior tournament. It's run by FIBA. It's just that we (and NZ) don't send senior teams. What part of that is difficult to understand?

Reply #240478 | Report this post

BigJ  
Years ago

Both Australian teams won Gold medals at this tournament. Congratulations to all athletes & staff.

Reply #241593 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754