Shaqdiddy
Years ago

Sixers Finals Scenarios

If Adelaide beat Cairns they will finish third, this means a home one-game elimination final followed by a series against Wollongong.

If Adelaide lose to Cairns, they will most probably finish in fourth, and play a home final, followed by a proprosed series against the Kings.

I think every one is aware of this by now!!!

What though is the best scenario for the Sixers?

Now I'm a big fan, and choose to believe we will win that elimination final. Thing is do we want to face the Hawks in the semi's or the Kings?

I kind of like the idea of taking Sydney. I think they may be a bit vunerable. Wollongong have already had there low point, and they may have bounced back now with a home vicroty of Goorj's boys too close out the season.

Thing is if we want Sydney (that's if) we will have to intentionally drop against the Snakes, as the Crocs don't look like they have any chance of losing to the Snakes the day before we play up in Cairns.

Correct me if I have those proposed meetings wrong, but
I'm sure that is waht the scenario is.

Topic #2001 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that the Kings are more easily beatable. We almost got them in Sydney without Dusty. If we could get them once over there, I think we'd beat them at home comfortably.

That 2nd spot and home court advantage would've been so nice...

Still, if we are deserving of the title, we're going to have to beat the best teams, and Wollongong might be it.

If Sydney lose to the Razorbacks, doesn't Wollongong get top spot courtesy of the season series over Sydney?

Reply #22614 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I don't think it makes a difference really.

My bet would be if the Sixers had finished 2nd, they would have probably played the Hawks in the Semi-Finals and the Kings in the Grand Final.

Right now, if we get through the elimination final then either the Kings or the Hawks will be waiting for us. If it's the Hawks in the semis it will be the Kings in the Grand Final. If it's the Kings in the Semis it will be the Hawks in the Grand Final.

That is my guess, whatever it is worth. I expect that if we are going to win this thing, it will have to be through those two teams.

Reply #22616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You don't think that the Crocs could win their way through?

Apparently Reidy is back after the Cairns game, so they will be at full strength. 9 game winning streak is tough to argue with even if it's over dud teams.

They're posting big scores and only lost to the Kings by 1 in Sydney. They're a definite dark horse IMO -- hopefully someone knocks them out early so the risk is removed.

Reply #22617 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

RememberTville won 18 in a row and did not win it....every winning streak has to finish some day.

Kings in the semis and Gong in the final is my tip for best road to the championship.

Reply #22622 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Question.... if we finish 3rd what spot do we play ? 8th as in Hunter?

Reply #22623 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I can't help feeling that the Sydney loss last night was deliberate. They figured that their spot in top 2 was guaranteed anyway and chose to not fight for the win. The team they fear most is Adelaide. They would have been concentrating on eliminating Adelaide from the top 2 rather than win that game. Goorj hates coming here to play. If the grand final was to be against Adelaide and Sydney, we would stand a good chance of winning it. However, we've won a championship before from 3rd position. There's nothing stopping us now. As Farley says, it feels like a case of deja vu. He could very well be right.

Reply #22628 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

3rd would play the winner of 6th vs 7th.

4th plays the winner of 5th vs 8th.

So...going on current tables as of Saturday 19/2/05 am

If 36ers finish 3rd
- we would play winner of Tigers vs Wildcats (the way the Cats are playing, I wouldn't be surprised to be playing Perth - and probably a preferred option

IF 36ers finish fourth
- we would play winner of Brisbane vs Hunter. I would suggest Brisbane should win that one, which could be a danger game for us, considering Brisbane nearly pumped us last weekend.

Reply #22632 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree -- I think playing Perth at the Dome would be our best chance in that first match-up.

EC, are you serious? They got beaten by the Hawks last time. They were playing in Wollongong. They lost the game and I think that's all their is to it.

Reply #22636 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Last time they were leading the way and only lost it by 2 points at the very end. Last night's game from the 2nd quarter onwards, they consistently allowed the Hawks to keep approximately 10 points ahead of them. It was a completely different game. I wouldn't be comparing it to their previous one.

Reply #22645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with EC, I think it was the last 2:04 of the game & there was only 1 field goal & 1 foul. Now that really surprises me, in that both teams are very physical & hard-nosed defenders.
The same goes for the Tigs game.
I've never seen 2 so obviously thrown games in my life.
Cheers,
DDFan

Reply #22688 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

If we make th GF then depends on how the opponent has been worked in their SF series. Will be a tough road through either team to get to GF so hopefully will be just as tough for opponent.

Reply #22697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754