turd sandwich
Years ago

How do I complain to BSA about refs?

wanna make a complaint about umpiring, does anybody know how or where to direct my complaint to.

Topic #20011 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well BASA went out of business over 3 years ago so I think that might be a little difficult.
Good luck though.

Reply #237289 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

What competition is this? If it's social, you're best off starting by sending the stadium manager a carefully-worded email (ie. don't just flame people or no one's going to listen to you). I sent one or two a few years back to the manager at Wayville, and while I guess in the end it didn't help due to factors beyond his control, he was kind enough to explain the situation, and I felt like at least someone had heard what I had to say.

You can get the relevant contact details here: http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=33

If you're talking district ball, I suppose take it up with your club and work through the relevant channels that way.

Reply #237293 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Start a new thread outlining the problem, and make sure you name the umpires in question. We all enjoy bagging out umpires, mainly because they are all dickheads. Problem solved.

Reply #237295 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol... or that.

Reply #237297 | Report this post

booby  
Years ago

Just shine the Jackman logo into the nite skies!! where there is bad officiating JACKMAN is normally on the scene !

Reply #237304 | Report this post

booby  
Years ago

or find Denny Crane. he gets around in a fluro green shirt, and his name rymes with puke! lol

Reply #237306 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

What are the issues??? and where??? I'm sure some of us on here will feel your pain.

Reply #237327 | Report this post

turd sandwich  
Years ago

just had a ref turn and say to me "do u ever stop whinging" my point is if i make a personal insult directed towards a ref i get kicked out of the stadium and possibly suspended. Just because this person is a ref, why should they be able to get away with it.

i do whinge alot i wont deny that, but i never used a personal insult towards her. im sick of the weekly bad refing and this whole (cant wear an undershirt crap) every week. I look at the refs representing district basketball and there attitudes and feel like no wonder the sport is dying here.

Reply #237329 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Thats it?? They told you to stop whinging, and you want to make a complaint?

Reply #237331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hears an idea Turd Sandwich. 'STOP WHINGING' and see what happens.

Reply #237332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heres an idea Turd Sandwich. 'STOP WHINGING' and see what happens.

Reply #237333 | Report this post

turd sandwich  
Years ago

how can you not whinge when they call crap all game. my point is im not letting some shit ass ref insult me because if i say to them what i think of them i get kicked out everytime. thats the point.

Reply #237335 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Those refs in U10 can be pretty mean. I assume that we are talking U10's after seeing the complaint? Perhaps next time in the sand pit, build a bridge and get over it.
Better than a Tech!

Reply #237336 | Report this post

mmmm  
Years ago

Turd, do you think that maybe you were over-reacting. I mean try to get some perspective. Did she say "your mother is fat cow"???

She just asked "do you ever stop whinging??" Looking at how your reacting maybe she has a point - "ya whinging little punk"

One of the best social refs around is an INdian guy at Marion. He almost talks more smack than I've heard come out of any player/refs mouth but he cares about the game and cares about customer service.

Its social hoops just have a laugh and some fun.

Reply #237339 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

Perhaps you could asked one of the refs when they are making dicks of themselves doing push ups in the middle of the court of the States Grand Finals in a time out. Apparently that is very funny. Idiots.

Reply #237340 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Personal insult? No, thats asking a question. Personal insult would be more like

You: wheres the foul?
Ref: stop winging you little fagot

thats a personal insult
not a question

Reply #237341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what were you whinging about?

Reply #237343 | Report this post

turd sandwich  
Years ago

i just got a waek foul called on me at one end and got hammered at the other end with no call. it pissed me off as i can whinge, this particular game i hardly said a word, and this ref doesnt ref us often. if this was a seperate incident i would leave it, i agree its not major but when its every week the frustration builds up. i had a ref who was telling other refs to tech foul me on purpose because she had a crush on me and i said no thanks. recently i got thrown out after i got kicked in the nads, the list goes on. i play the div higher and the refs are great there, they explain there calls and treat players like people. they make some incorrect calls, but are not wankers about it. im just sick of ref's (like jackman) who look down and people and treat paying customers like shit.

Reply #237345 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Thats all fair enough but if you complained about being called a whinger then you'd get laughed at.

Reply #237346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what competition is this?

Reply #237349 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

If I could I would Tech Foul you for your grasp of English Turd Burglar

Reply #237350 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Suck it up princess!!! Sounds like the ref picked you in one. Truth hurts.

Maybe you should play married ladies netball or something. If you dont like a comment like that im surprised you play a contact sport ya pansie

Reply #237351 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"i had a ref who was telling other refs to tech foul me on purpose because she had a crush on me and i said no thanks. recently i got thrown out after i got kicked in the nads"

So, you got kicked in the nads because you said no to a ref?

I would complain about that!

Reply #237354 | Report this post

Forman  
Years ago

Social games....make complaint to manager forget it,he doesnt bother,he just leaves the complaint in a folder and says noted.Many complaints from teams at wayville but same old story week in week out,we get same referee weekly,they dont bother with good refs which are on main games.We have Brett weekly on Mondays and hes a piece of shit,made complaint but still have him following week,his language,attitude and hygiene is appalling. Any one out there have same story of wayville refs???

Reply #237357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you want them to do? Create a ref? Get you an ABA ref?

If you want the senior refs to do social then you can expect to pay $20 each to play so they get paid to deal with the standard and attitude of social players.

Just because you make a complaint they're not going to find someone better. Social referees are the best that are available. They can be talked to and worked with but that's the best that is available. Simple

Reply #237358 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

You could use the old school North East / St. Bernard's trick:

Call a time out. Instruct a team mate to stand directly in front of the ref during the inbound pass.

Overarm a bullet pass as hard and fast as you can. Have your team mate step aside.

20 years later and I'm still laughing at how wrong that was...

Reply #237361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont get me wrong im against refs who are arrogant idiots.

You admitted it yourself, you do whinge - but why? Because YOU think the call is wrong. The number of times that some players complain about calls that are blatantly obvious is stupid. By the sounds of it, if your a whinger and you complain all game long it takes away credibility when you have a genuine complaint.

Toughen up princess, im sure you yell at refs on a weely basis, and look how quickly your upset when you cop some back.

Reply #237398 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

Loco, that's sooooooooo funny.

Reply #237399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

turd sandwich, you not being able to wear an undershirt is not an excuse for the ref to pick on you.

It is actually a Basketball Australia directive. The only thing allowed to be worn under a shirt is black/white skins. Thats it.

if you have a problem, take it up with BA, I am sure Larry Sengstock would like to talk to you personally. Maybe while you are there, you could get him to ban the refs you have every week.....

wait, that would mean you would have no one to play with but yourself.

Reply #237402 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stick to the topic please. A number of comments have been deleted.

Reply #237403 | Report this post

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

Turd sandwich, If you read the ABA Points of Emphasis, (If you can read) you will notice that all participants must accept the officials will make mistakes. When was the last time you played and did not miss a shot or turn the ball over?

Build a bridge and get over it!!

Reply #237414 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Neville, true that refs are going to make mistakes, and people need to get over that. The OP doesn't have that much to complain about here it seems, if all his problem is is that a ref told him to stop whining.

However, it doesn't make any sense to make a comparison between refereeing mistakes, and a player making a mistake (ie. turnover/missed shot) on the court. Whether someone gets 40 points or they shoot 0/30 and has 15 turnovers, the refereeing standard shouldn't change. Refs are getting paid; players are paying to pay. Ergo, players are customers, refs are service-providers; as such, players can and should complain when the service is excessively poor. There's a difference between a ref making the occasional wrong call, and refs who are lazy/incompetent/*whatever* and manage to systematically turn social basketball into a nightmare, week after week.

Of course, the best advice in the latter case is for the player to vote with their wallet, walk away and find another comp if possible/practical for their team.

Reply #237418 | Report this post

Ex Ref  
Years ago

If you get rid of the referees in SA that are not up to a standard then there will be no one left to referee your games. Its about time that everyone got used to the fact that the refereeing standard in SA is average and is not going to improve any time soon.

Reply #237480 | Report this post

Ex Ref  
Years ago

If you get rid of the referees in SA that are not up to a standard then there will be no one left to referee your games. Its about time that everyone got used to the fact that the refereeing standard in SA is average and is not going to improve any time soon.

Reply #237481 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

everyone knows referee standard is average, but some ref's not all talk down to players. I personally find it frustrating when ref's do this, and i think everyone here does as well. we are paying custmers, you expect some form of professionalism when paying the prices were being charged these days.

Reply #237485 | Report this post

agree with some  
Years ago

The thing I find is the problem is even when you ask or speak to the refs in a nice manner you still get attitude.

I dont think its actually the standard of umpiring most people have a problem with its there attitude towards all players I agree if the players are giving the umpires a hard time throughtout the game the umpires are going to give it back but when you are actually just asking a question either as the captain or coach you get treated like crap.

I think the refs need to understand the saying
IF YOU GIVE RESPECT YOU WILL RECEIVE RESPECT.
It goes both ways

Reply #237538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hereschenes,

Referee standards will vary as the competition standards vary. Generally the better the players/competition the better the referees. Just as an NBL player would have no interest in playing E Grade social basketball, neither would an NBL referee have any interest refereeing it.

Your line that refs are paid; players pay to play is a gross simplification of the situation.

Players at most levels pay to play. Your return for that money is to have a court to play on and a competition to play in. As a player you do not pay the referee. You do not have the right to complain about referees.

Referee's are paid a minimal amount of money to cover their expenses. They are not professional. They are not paid to referee at a certain standard. They are not paid to be answerable to those playing in the game.

IMO the comparison was made to make the point that referees, like players are human. Referees like players make mistakes. Referees like players have bad games and good games.

Just like every player isn't going to play like Brett Maher, no matter how hard they try or how much they work on their game, neither will every referee be able to ref as well as a Billy Mildenhall.

Some games you'll get good referees, some games you'll get less than that. That's the reality. Some games you'll get good fun and friendly opposition players to play against, some games you won't. Sometimes you'll like everyone in your team more often then not you won't.

Reply #237540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with some what gives you the right to talk to a referee at all?

Unless your a captain, no player has the right to talk to a referee. If you don't want a smart arsed comment back, don't approach them in the first place.

Reply #237542 | Report this post

Pult  
Years ago

What does a ref get paid per hour?

Reply #237545 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Sorry, anon, that sort of attitude, where referees can't be spoken to, or players have no right to complain, is exactly what contributes to a greater rift between players and refs. Why can't you speak to a ref? Why are they so above the rest of the basketball community that they can't be spoken to?

Reply #237547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thread was started because a player got offended that a referee dared to speak to him, no doubt the way he was being spoken to.

Those players that complain will complain because a referee doesn't agree with them. Simple

I agree that if referees are lazy then you have the right to make a point, to the management of the competition. You don't have a right to talk to or complain to a referee because you pay money.

I'll turn the question around, why can you speak to a ref? Try talking to a netball referee, you'll be watching your team mates play while you sit on the sideline.

Reply #237549 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Why can you? Because despite our roles in the game of basketball, we are all still human beings. Part of being a human is communication. As soon as you take the attitude of "you can't speak to me" then you have done nothing more than create a bigger divide between the two fraternities.

Reply #237555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But why is there any need to?

You are a player. If a referee makes a call, then all the information you require from the referee is in the signal of the call (foul - hands, push, hold or travel, double dribble, out of bounds etc).

There is not right nor need for a player to speak to a referee.

Reply #237556 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

What other situations do you come across in your daily life where you aren't permitted to talk to someone you are involved with?

Reply #237558 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And the need to talk to a referee exists because you have every right to point out what an opponent is doing, or how the ref may not be calling things consistently at both ends, or at least state your case when you feel you were hard done by. You might not achieve much but to say you cannot speak to a ref is retarded.

Reply #237560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying telling a cop who's just given you a speeding fine that you think his fine is unfair or that he's being personal or that his shirt is untucked and how dare he treat you in such a way. See what type of response you get.

Again why do you need to the right to talk to a referee?

Reply #237561 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Will the cop say "don't speak to me at all" and continue on his business? Or will he engage in the discussion with you, explain his decision, and (providing you are courteous) apologise that he has to give you a fine? As I said earlier, you might not get the desired outcome but to completely shut off communication because you overstate you sense of authority is extremely backwards.

I've already you question, anon. Speaking to someone is quite normal. Answer my question, why CAN'T you speak to a referee?

Reply #237562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't because there is no need. All it does it stop people from doing what they should be doing, players playing the game, referees refereeing it.

Reply #237563 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Sorry, that should have read "I've already answered your question"

Reply #237564 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Anon, if you look at the first post I made here, you can see that I'm encouraging those who have deep-seated concerns about referees to approach stadium/competition management. Again, I've had helpful correspondence in the past along those lines. I'm certainly not advocating chewing-out or verbally-abusing a referee on the court, nor have I ever done it.

However, I don't find your contention that players should never talk to refs very compelling. I agree with "agree with some" - umpiring "quality" is not the problem here; umpiring "attitude" is. Of course, no one expects NBA-quality refs at a 10:30 C-grade social game at Wayville, or Mars, or wherever. But I also reckon that quite a substantial percentage of on-court flare-ups I've seen on the court could have been defused if a ref had been willing to justify a call of theirs on request.

I mean, if someone says "what? how did I travel?" in a moment of frustration, and the ref confidently replies "you slid your left pivot foot", then that's all that needs to happen. The player might still think that they were hard done by, but most of the time they will at least shut up and get on with things. If they don't, or they whinge about every call the whole game long, then absolutely, they should get T'd up, or thrown out, or whatever. However, when refs *consistently* refuse to justify their decisions, or worse, have a go back at the player, then you end up with popular threads on Hoops venting about refereeing standards. It's certainly not all the refs' fault; but surely some of it is.

Essentially, I guess I'm suggesting that your preferred world where refs are never spoken to is a utopia that will never exist; as such, all I'm advocating is, hopefully, a bit of common sense. Of course, there are players who go way beyond the bounds and deserve all the Ts/suspensions/tribunal hearings they get. I have no sympathy for those people. But you seem to be suggesting that largely, the onus is 100% on the player and 0% on the referee in terms of keeping frustration levels low on the social court, and while that might be technically true according to the rules, I personally think that that's just not realistic.

Reply #237565 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

It does not stop people doing what they need to do. It's not like every comment wastes minutes of valuable time - if you are going to quote extreme scenarios as the basis for your warped view, then you are just showing that you don't really understand what it's all about. I can promise you that a ref who refuses to talk to a player does more harm for the game being played, the competition and the relationships between players and refs than any sort of communication.

So if a cop gives you a speeding fine, you both stay completely silent while he is writing up the ticket? That is normal to you, is it?

Reply #237566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And btw right now you can.

Just like some police officers will handle it the way you described others won't. Some will give you a smart arsed response, or no response at all or take you into the station and hold you in a cell.

Risk you take for questioning the authority of someone trying to fullfil a duty that is required by the community.

Exactly the same can be said of refereeing right now. Some referees will answer your question, be very polite and give you lots of feedback. Some will give you a smart ared response, or no response at all or give you a Tech foul.

Risk you take for questioning the authority of someone trying to fullfil a duty that is required by the community.

Reply #237567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean, if someone says "what? how did I travel?" in a moment of frustration, and the ref confidently replies "you slid your left pivot foot", then that's all that needs to happen. To which the player will respond with "no I didn't, I did this" and go on to demonstrate what they 'think' they did.

Then the referee will get attacked by the other team who's waiting for the ball and ready to play, because their game has been held up while a referee tries to explain the rules.

Easy solution just play to the whistle.

Reply #237569 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

We're not discussing the risk, we are discussing your notion that a ref cannot be spoken to. It is simply an unrealistic suggestion. I agree, do so at your own peril. Most times you won't get the favourable outcome (although talking your way out of a speeding fine is probably more likely than getting a ref to listen to you) but to say "no talking" is detrimental to the game.

Reply #237571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I talk to refs all the time as a player. But I don't feel like I have a right to do so, which is the point I was trying to orginally make.

Reply #237572 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And what happens when they don't speak back?

Reply #237574 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cops are one example, law courts another.

Just like some police officers will handle it the way you described others won't. Some will give you a smart arsed response, or no response at all or take you into the station and hold you in a cell.
In an ideal world, the offender in question should ask their question or register their disagreement politely and the police officer should react fairly and politely too.

We're not talking about arguing a point to death (which is obviously OTT), but raising a concern fairly or, as was the case of the OP, a paying customer making their complaint known.

Reply #237576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find this discussion very interesting. As an ex-ref (panel some 10-12 yrs ago)I used to speak politely to most players but in reality a ref doesn't have time to get into discussions with players. Rarely does a frustrated player accept a 2 word response or explanation, they usually want to argue the point. Some players of course don't deserve any response with the way they treat refs, politeness being the key. I know some refs need to change their poor attitude though.

Technically the rule is (or was) that only the court captain could politely approach a ref to ask for an explanation on a call or situation, so players actually don't have any rights by the rules to talk to the ref. This is however unrealistic but the rule is there for a reason. Refereeing is a difficult and often thankless task at most levels with players, coaches, spectators all knowing more than the ref.

Polite communicaton is always OK in my book, but attitude from players and referees causes problems.

Just my thoughts :-)
Des

Reply #237580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they don't speak back then that's their choice. Nothing I can do about it.

My whole arguement is that some, not all believe it is their right to complain and some, not all believe it is their right to yell and argue with referees who they decide are making mistake.

I simply don't understand why some players and coaches feel they should have the right to talk to a referee.

Reply #237581 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I speak to refs because I don't consider them to be above or beneath me, or deserved of any special treatment which automatically discounts then from normal lines of communication.

Reply #237588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not why, that's what your saying is the reason why you can.

You speak to referees because either you want a clarification from them or because you want them to know you disagree with them.

Currently you believe they are free to be spoken to because you feel they are your equal. I would guess that most players would consider referees as less then them and treat them as such.

Even if you are able to speak to a referee, I don't understand why there is a need to.

Reply #237592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another question would be as an equal do you believe the referee has the right to talk to a coach, or a player?

Or does a player have the right to talk to a scorer?

Reply #237595 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, pick an alias and you'll be no-less-anonymous. I think it's a healthy discussion and it sucks to follow it without having a consistent identity to tie the opinion to.

I would guess that most players would consider referees as less then them and treat them as such.
And that's a problem - I'm a bit of a dreamer, but I imagine some educational campaign to push for more respectable contact between players and refs.
Even if you are able to speak to a referee, I don't understand why there is a need to.
I think seeking quick clarification is reasonable.
Another question would be as an equal do you believe the referee has the right to talk to a coach, or a player?
Definitely. I like how NBL refs are often guiding the game around subjective calls rather than calling every foul without warning and leading to a boring game. You hear refs say things like "Luke, hands off." Or "Straight up fellas", etc.
Or does a player have the right to talk to a scorer?
That's not their point of contact. A better question is, does a ref have the right to talk to a scorer or clock operator, and I would say absolutely yes. Confirm things, check with a judgement based on stop-start of a clock, etc.

I think the cop is a good comparison. If I get pulled over for disobeying a 'no left turn' sign, they don't want a 30 minute hostile debate, but I can have a civil conversation to check the specifics of the ruling. The best ones are not above a reasonable query or clarification asked in a polite fashion. And ultimately I think that's in the best interests of both parties and reduces some of the us-and-them.

Reply #237605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My question about a referee talking to a coach was not in the context your refering.

A referee makes a decision. Player disagrees. Player believes he has the right to ask for further clarification because being told he travelled clearly wasn't enough. Get's an answer. Best case scenario player walks away, normally still not convinced he travelled.

Most players believe this is fair.

A coach makes a sub. Let's say puts on a player with 4 fouls and its the third quarter. Referee, as an equal to the coach believes he has the right to ask the coach for further clarification as to why the sub was made. Would anyone consider this fair?

Some would say this a ridiculous response as the coach's decision doesn't affect the referee. Well what if the player gets called for a 5th foul and the player, coach, all the player's team mates and that teams spectators yell and abuse the referee for fouling the player out. Sure we'd all like to think we'd accept the foul and move on but the reality is that some wouldn't especially if it was for example a 50/50 block charge decision.

Scoretable. Foul is called and the clock gets stoped with say 1 second left. Player believes the clock was stopped late. As an equal does that mean the player is allowed to approach the scorer and ask questions?

Decision directly affects the player. What's worse is in that situation I see players and coaches yelling at referees. Like they stoped the clock late and it's their fault and their problem to fix. This is when teams are responsible for supplying scorers.

End of the day without people willing to put up their hands, the teams and clubs themselves will have to supply their own referees. I think we all can agree that is not something anyone wants.

I agree its a worthwhile discussion.

Reply #237609 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Sorry anon, you are talking a whole lot of crap. That hypothetical about the ref checking on a sub with 4 fouls in order to stem potential abuse is ludicruous. If you can't discuss real situations then don't bother.

Stuff happens in a game. Players react, and providing they don't go over the top and abuse anyone (which I think you need to understand is different to the "talking" points that are being made) then there should be no reason that sensible discussion can't take place.

Reply #237612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2 I agree that that situation is ludicruouss, but that was exactly the point I was trying to make.

From what I can see there are two arguements for why a player is allowed to talk to (or question) a referee.

Those are the old, we pay, you get paid therefore we have the right. Or as you've put it players and referees are equal and therefore players can talk to referees.

In my hypothetical I'm putting forward an example of two people being equal and because of that the referee having to right to question a decision by the coach. It's meant to be ludicruous because I believe it's a ludicruous arguement. Just because a player and a referee are equal doesn't give the player the right to asked a question of a referee after a call.

There are times when conversations between coaches, players and referees can, do and will happen. But I simply do not believe that players have the right to ask for clarification or question decisions that have been made.

Reply #237614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Deaf referees could solve some of these problems...

Reply #237615 | Report this post

What the???  
Years ago

What about asking if the inbounds is going to be end line or sideline?

What about asking if your player can sub because they have blood and the ref hasn't seen it?

What about asking if you get the ball moved or not to the half if you call a time out?

Do you need more?

Referee's need to be able to communicate appropriately. If in any of these situations they deliberately don't listen, it will cause the coach to ask again louder to get their attention, which will be misinterpreted as yelling and therefore create tension on both sides.

Reply #237623 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I didn't says refs are my equal as in during the game we all have the same part to play. I said I feel I can talk to them because I don't bow down to them, and they don't do the same to me. It's normal human interaction - why referees think they are above that is beyond me.

Reply #237625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they feel they are above. But they feel they have the right to try and do what they are there to do without having to justify their decisions to players, coaches etc or having to be answerable to players, coaches etc.

And I agree, there is a time and a place where some communication is required. That may be by pointing, or signalling doesn't have to be by voice.

Reply #237627 | Report this post

What the???  
Years ago

Anon,

So you think pointing could possibly help in any of the above situations of the ref isn't looking at you?

Thats borderline rediculous. Which is why everybody is that fed up with ref's they can't help but yell at them. Which is unfortunate because it doesn't help anything. But until ref's accept that they need to communicate, and improve it.

Reply #237630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't have to be by voice but can be.
And I would expect a coach to ask a question and a referee to point to the sideline, or the half way line etc.

Relax mate.

Reply #237638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Every level of sport sees players and referees conversing to some degree (AFL, NBA, etc). It's not going to change, and drawing some arbitrary line between voice and hand signals (seriously!) is a red herring.

IMO, the line needs to be: what is reasonable to be asked of a referee (clarification, can you keep an eye on this guy hitting my nuts, etc) and what is not (ongoing dispute, yelling, intimidation, etc). Then, a good discussion might be how to ultimately encourage that in players as much as possible (bit idealistic, I know, but worth a shot).

Reply #237639 | Report this post

Ex Ref  
Years ago

When referees first start out, they referee with a partner of much more experience to ease them into refereeing o give them a feel for it. At this stage they are pretty much told if someone agrues with u them your partner will take care of it and they will no be subjected to coaches and players having a go at them..

In the long run when they are more experienced they are expected to deal with any number of people hurling abuse at them and they just dont know what to do.. They just shut up or they get angry but because they are not taught the people skills to deal with these situations it is very difficult.

They are sheltered and protected, the green shirts, ur not sposed to talk t them but as soon as they get better its fair game, you can yell and treat them as any other ref.

The need to be protected when they first start however, they also need to be taught not just the rules but the tools they need to communciate with coaches and players because no noe realises the amount of communication required when they start to referee. Theyare given the tools to defend themselves (i.e. tech foul) but they are never taught the skills to defuse these situations and this probably leads to the attitudes that many referees have towards players and coaches..

just my thoughts

Reply #237852 | Report this post

Unknown  
Years ago

I think you will find that most refs will respond to a polite query, asked in the correct manner. However, most players in game situations are emotional and frustrated when they disagree with a call and will throw their hands in the air and argue heatedly with the referee. My advice is to accept the call at the time, wait until the next dead ball and then approach the referee and ask for a clarification. In most cases, I think you will find that they will be more than happy to answer, as your demeanor will have lost most of the aggression.

I think this might also be where the rule about players not talking to the refs has come from (only guessing I don't know for sure). If the captain is not involved in the situation then he/she will be calmer when talking to the ref.

One other thing might be to look at yourself/teammates/coach/spectators. If the ref has been copping crap from them all game, they will be pissed of and defensive and less likely to respond cooperatively to your question.

Btw before you next abuse the refs, think about this. If a ref is constantly abused, most likely he/she will eventually quit. This means that another ref (usually sub-standard) has to be pushed up to higher grades to fill the spot, usually before he/she is ready. This creates below standard refs who get abused more (and the cycle continues). Perhaps we have below standard refs because they all quit rather than stay around long enough to improve?

Reply #237861 | Report this post

Macca #1  
Years ago

ha ha ur such a tool. u must be really crap if ur always whinging to the ref. yes they do make mistakes everyone does they are only human. all the good players where its in basketball or football or any sport just get over it. so maybe thats what u should do hey? ur not going to win trust me!

Reply #237958 | Report this post

Ex Ref  
Years ago

Thats the sort of attitude that the players and coaches have a problem with..

If you respond like that then you will get nowhere either.

Reply #237970 | Report this post

Current Ump  
Years ago

Ex-Ref
It sounds to me like you might be a little quick to judge.

Do you know how many Senior Referee's in Adelaide are active in helping junior umpires.

Umpires do not alwways do it well but they certainly aim to do it well

Are you aware of the constant development where young officials are encouraged to communicate with coaches and players as per the guidelines which is short sharp converstation and encouraging the type of discusion which could prevent a Tech foul having to be called.

Of course sometimes players and coaches cross the line and make this much harder for young umpires.

I will except that all of this would be much easier if BSA would employ someone full time for umpires.
I understand there is currently an applicaiton for this position

This will help all grdes do things better including social basketball

Reply #237978 | Report this post

Ex Ref  
Years ago

Yes i have seen the senior referees coming out to evaluate juniors on fridays nights and i think its about time. Over the last 2 years that i was reffing (2007 & 2008) i would have only been evaluated maybe a handful of times and half of these were at aba so i think it is great that the young kids are finally getting feedback to help them develop..

I know that referees go out there and try their best but everyone has bed games and i accept this and having the evaluators out there is a crucial step to help them learn from these mistakes.

I am aware of the development that young officials are taught and maybe i was quick to judge this..

I think alot of the time the problem occurs with referees who have been in the system for a bit and should be starting to put names to faces and be able to have a conversation with coaches and players. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion with a coach as long as it doesnt interfere with the game.

Of course players and coaches step over the line and in those situations they need to be penalised for that however so many situations like this could have been avoided if there was communication, whether it be short and sharp (in an ideal world) or a quick explanation....

I do agree that someone needs to be employed full time to liase with umpires however i dont think one is enough. there needs to be a person at every stadium other than the uic or court supervisor or what ever their title is now. These people should liase with the evaluators and referees and visit different stadiums but unfortunately alot of people are involved in basketball as a hobby or for pocket money because it isnt really a long term career for many people.. Because of this it is unlikely to happen imo. But sending evaluators around the stadiums is a solid starting point and except that its not going to happen over night but something needs to happen so our referees can be competitive on a national level as well..

Cheers

Reply #238018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer to your question Turd is, when did you last hear of a ref being given a few weeks rest at a tribunal?
When you can't get enough of a commodity you buy Chinese and it doesn't come with a warranty. There are not enough refs so complaining to BSA will fall on deaf ears.
Most believe you're better off with bad refs than no refs and that can't be argued against convincingly.
Ref integrity, like a good plumber, is a much sought after thing and just as hard to find but if coaches were forced to rate ref performances and these were actually scrutinised then there may be improvements.
Similarly, refs across all Div 1 grades should have to rate the best 2 players on each team because it forces them to watch for 'ability on display' and can improve an officials performance when they have to watch 'both teams' for quality.
A sport that has no accountability for its officials breeds below par performances and below par performances breed endless complaints. BSA should provide a rating sheet across set criteria for coaches to assess officials' performances and they should be monitored.
Over a season certain trends could be observed that give credence to otherwise unwarranted criticism. No ref could complain if multiple coaches highlight the same contentious issues throughout a season.
Players may also improve their demeanour if they know refs are giving points for player performance.

Reply #238070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are accountable just not to you or your fellow coaches/players.

Refs don't at this stage have a tribunal process but we've just had a referee banned from reffing in any BSA competition and referee performances and behaviour is constantly scrutinized.

Just because it isn't done publicly, as it shouldn't be doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Poor performing referees are moved down the food chain, might not seem fair but its no different to what a club does with a poor performing player.

You like so many others seem to believe referees are accountable to players, coaches and even spectators. They are not. They are accountable to BSA.

Reply #238083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

083, I think we are all accountable and we all have a duty to behave accordingly. However we all don't.
A player or coach who is perceived by the ump to have stepped out of line gets a very public tech foul and in most good clubs, pays a fine.
Refs indiscretions are swept under the carpet.
I do not accept that you monitor refs and that some fall lower in the food chain because the same refs with the same head sets ref every week.
Coach and ref reports should be a mandatory part of the game to gets some consistency.
And yes I believe you (refs) are accountable to players to provide the best judgement calls you can, free of bias and not influenced by circumstances or skews. Players are accountable to refs as are coaches to treat officials with respect irrespective of the standard, in their opinion.
But and its a big but, there has to be a paper trail of umpiring performances so that trends become evident and action ensues.
Why are some teams unbeatable on their home courts and easy meat elsewhere? Why do some refs pull the trigger on tech fouls so frequently and why do players who don't have big foul counts generally get fouled off in the same venue every time? Coach report on refs and vice versa would go a long way to improving all of our standards.There also seems to be a growing trend of non calls which seem to always be a one way trip.
I'd also like to see a rule about refs being older than the players they are officiating which would help.

Reply #238092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A player or coach who is perceived by the ump to have stepped out of line gets a very public tech foul and in most good clubs, pays a fine"

That is a referee doing their job. They are there to enforce the rules. That's like complaining because a coach very publicly drags a player because the player is perceived by the coach to have broken a team rule. Are you saying coaches shouldn't do that as well? And pays a fine?? What club has a fine policy for Tech Fouls, and I'm not including one club's very appropriate policy of beer slabs on junior games.

"Refs indiscretions are swept under the carpet."

Such as when? Name an example? I completely disagree.

"I do not accept that you monitor refs and that some fall lower in the food chain because the same refs with the same head sets ref every week."

I don't monitor referees, but I have faith that BSA does. If you see the same refs every week, obviously BSA feel comfortable with them doing that grade.

"Coach and ref reports should be a mandatory part of the game to gets some consistency."

Meaning what? That a coach should write a report on a referee every game? Again referees are not accountable to coaches. And coaches feedback will always be biased as they see the game from their own point of view which is the view of one team.

"And yes I believe you (refs) are accountable to players to provide the best judgement calls you can, free of bias and not influenced by circumstances or skews."

Referees are accountable to themselves, their superiors and BSA. They are not accountable to players, sorry.

"Players are accountable to refs as are coaches to treat officials with respect irrespective of the standard, in their opinion."

No they are not. Players are accountable to their coach, team mates and clubs. Coaches are accountable to their superiors and clubs. Neither are accountable to referees. Again part of a referees job is to enforce the rules, including rules regarding player and coach behaviour.

"But and its a big but, there has to be a paper trail of umpiring performances so that trends become evident and action ensues."

There is, its done by BSA through Court Supervisors and Referee Coaches. Which is more than any club does with its players or coaches. So before clubs take a swipe at referees maybe they should clean up their own backyards first!?

"Why are some teams unbeatable on their home courts and easy meat elsewhere?"

Name one example of that and include how that was because of referees. Easy to say when it's not backed up with proof.

"Why do some refs pull the trigger on tech fouls so frequently and why do players who don't have big foul counts generally get fouled off in the same venue every time?"

Because referees and players are human. Some referees are willing to take more abuse than others. some players show up to an away game expecting to get screwed so complain about every call that goes against them. Some players simply play better at home then they do away. Look at the 36ers record from last season. Are you saying we won at home because of the referees. You'd have zero support for that logic.

"Coach report on refs and vice versa would go a long way to improving all of our standards."

No it would turn into a bitchfest and further alienate one from the other.

"There also seems to be a growing trend of non calls which seem to always be a one way trip."

Huh!? I assum you mean situations where contact or minor violation infractions are not called. The game is becoming faster than ever before and that is being encouraged by FIBA and BA and filters through to how referees are taught to umpire the game. Where in the old days the offensive player could almost do anything they wanted and any contact was called a defensive foul, these days the defence has many more rights and thankfully so. Also a lot of contact is considered incidental and the direction from FIBA and BA is that such contact should be let go. If you don't like it too bad. If the referee doesn't like it too bad. Neither you or I or referees write the rules, referees enforce them and we are forced to play by them.

"I'd also like to see a rule about refs being older than the players they are officiating which would help."

Why? Phil Haines refereed ABA at 15/16. So have a number of other referees. I've seen some young coaches looking after teams as well. IMO a person's age has nothing to do with their abilities.

I'm not a referee. Just so sick and tired of people having a whinge. They are something we as players, coaches or spectators can not control and neither should we be able to. Let them do their job, let BSA develop and educate them while the rest of us leave them alone. It's the only way you'll see any improvements.

Reply #238100 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Just a small nitpick #238100: when you're talking about referee ages, I think some common-sense needs to be applied, beyond "age has nothing to do with abilities". I've seen kids who can't have been older than 12 or 13 referee social games in the past, and on occasion they were basically useless because they were too intimidated/scared/inexperienced to call any fouls. If you have a 13yo ref who is mature enough to be assertive, then fine; if not, you're just asking for trouble allowing them to ref social (especially the lower grades, which can get very rough.)

Apart from that, I agree with most of your post.

Just want to add a shout-out to the Monday-night competition at the DHD (run by the Salvation Army). I don't know why this is the case, but the refs there are absolutely tops, far superior to any social competition I've played in during the last 10 years. They are generally consistent through the course of a game with what they call and don't call, and they are also willing to interact with players in a reasonable fashion. Good stuff.

Reply #238105 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Why should referees being accountable be done behind close doors? Let's say the NBL or a state league has an issue with a ref and they drop him for two weeks - why do the general public and players/clubs have to be kept in the dark?

Reply #238107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree atm there is an issue, particularly with social where kids are forced to referee men's social because there is no one around to do it. Unfortunately there is no real reason for an adult to referee social basketball other than the small amount of $$ on offer.

And my point about age of the ref is that IF a referee can handle the game they've been given, their age shouldn't matter. If they can't handle it because they get intimidated then I agree they shouldn't be on the game.

Reply #238109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2 because if it's done publicly that referee becomes a target for abuse and ridicule on every game he does from then on.

Why does it need to be public? What would anyone gain?

Reply #238111 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I don't see why he/she becomes a target. Players cop their punishment in public, coaches too, and it's then up to the individual to make amends for their indiscretion. I don't see why refs need to be treated differently,or why their is the theory that making them accountable is going to discourage other people from becoming refs in the first place.

Reply #238120 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Oh dear, their = there.

Reply #238124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Players cop their punishment in public, coaches too, and it's then up to the individual to make amends for their indiscretion."

How is it public? If they are put before a BSA tribunal for breaking BSA rules or By-laws its not like BSA issues a statement saying Coach X has been found guilty ...

Basketball isn't the AFL.

If a coach or player is disciplined by their club that certainly isn't made public.

"I don't see why refs need to be treated differently,or why their is the theory that making them accountable is going to discourage other people from becoming refs in the first place."

Disciplinary action involving referees should be handled just like clubs would handle an issue with a coach. Discussed and dealt with internally.

And no one is saying they arent accountable. They just aren't accountable to Joe public, they're accountable to the manager's of the competition they're involved in.

Reply #238125 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I did use the NBL in my initial post. They certainly announce tribunal findings. I don't know how BSA works but its not like it would be the worlds biggest secret if they rubbed someone out for a couple of weeks.

Reply #238127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a player gets found guilty at NBL level for lets say verbally abusing referee and gets suspended then I am sure a release from the League would go out.

But if a referee verbally abused a coach or player, a disciplanry tribunal would be held and I am sure a release from the League would go out.

Actions by players and coaches which go to tribunals are quite extreme acts. I can't remember any recent occasion where the same type of behaviour has occured by a referee towards a player or coach.

As I said there has been one well known referee who has been banned from BSA competitions for his attitude, but my experience is that he's a single case and there aren't any other referees that I can think of that behave in an extreme way.

Most complaints about referees relate to performance not extreme actions. Just like a team/club would handle performance issues internally I believe BSA or whomever is manager of a the competition should handle performace issues regarding a referee internally as well.

Reply #238133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100, you protest too much to not be a ref

Reply #238170 | Report this post

spectator  
Years ago

i was watchin the game and aftr 3 quarters of ur whinging i would get frustrated and tell u to stop whinging as well. plus u hog the ball to much and get in a position were u get urself into trouble. referees shud not bail the player out 4 gettin into trouble. u had plenty of oppertunities to pass the ball but tried to go into 3 players instead.

aftr the game u went up to the referees to talk, they seemed approchable, and aftr sayin to them that u were goin 2 report them and that they cant insult u, u started to yell and swear at them. i think u shud control urself wen talkin to them, certianly aftr a game coz it is over and the heat shud be off of ur sholders.

Reply #238173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what language is that spectator?

Reply #238178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

238070, some novel ideas. What about refs rating coaches on their conduct each game. Charge a coaching registration fee and give "free coaching registration" to all but the 10 worst coaches rated by conduct? ;)

Reply #238182 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Great idea, as long as coaches have recriprocal voting rights for refs after each game.
Some refs really grate (not great) on you, then others seem insignificant. It is only after the game that you realise the 'insignificant' refs have done a great job in controlling the game and not let their egos and whistle power take over

Reply #238191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754