DJ Rod
Years ago

Egan & Rillie released by Crocs

not cool IMO

(Mod: Editing to add more details. Following text is by Isaac.)

Interesting call from the Townsville Crocs who have released veterans John Rillie and Daniel Egan. Rillie had a less-than-ideal 08/09, but lit up in the post-season to show he still had it, while Egan has always been a solid contributor.

The Crocs say it was a tough decision, but think that making the call now gives the players time to jostle for position with the other seven clubs contesting the 09/10 NBL season.

Full story

Topic #20018 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Egan was still producing 8.3 PPG and 3.6 RPG in his 14th season, and doing so at a reasonable clip in 19 MPG.

Rillie was down to 12.3 PPG and 4.5 RPG, though that step down of about 3 PPG isn't massively out of line with the change in MPG from 36 to 31.

Tough call. If they're shifting to 40 minute games, it does make some sense and blooding younger players is important, but it's still a bit of a surprise.

I guess they're looking to Cedar and/or Williamson to pick up Rillie's role, but they don't have a stand-out youngster to take up Egan's position. Must have something new in the works there?

Reply #237426 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Bit surprising, both are both capable of playing another season IMO. Are they willing to move interstate for another gig??

Reply #237434 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Don't know about JR but he was saying he was looking to get out there and move on with things did he not?
Sounded as though he meant outside basketball, but I don't know if that was the frustration or reduced salary from the cap (at the time) talking.
I also believe he's worth another season.

Reply #237437 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

stay tuned,a big aussie name and cam tovey to step up.

Reply #237440 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I am led to believe Rillie was offered a much lesser contract for one season. One which he almost had no choice yet to decline with three young children and a new house.

As for Daniel Egan, I think it was always a touch-and-go with him. Yes he is a solid player but is undersized and getting long in the tooth. Now is as good a time as any to blood young talent. I am unsure who they will sign to replace him.

If I were the Crocs I'd be hoping JR doesn't decide to play on, maybe an assistant's role is available. He'd light up the Crocs for sure.

The Crocs are obviously chasing hard for Worthington, Matt Knight and Khazzouh. Rosell Ellis may not be back either.

Reply #237441 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Crocs aren't the only ones chasing Wortho although word is he may head to Cairns to where his partner's from now he's about to be a daddy.

Reply #237442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is crazy by townsville!

Is this the end of Rillie's basketball career Rod?

Reply #237449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers, please sign Rillie!!

Reply #237451 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

first to go .... the over paid 6th man

Reply #237454 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Perhaps some CEO's are thinking along the lines of other sports and getting rid of players and building for the future, not just riding on the past...get over it boys, move on and get a job...Rillie stated in his blog he was ready to start working, now is his perfect chance..

Reply #237456 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Thank You Townsville by John Rillie

Most Q's are answered here

Reply #237466 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I, for one, would love to see Rillie back with the Sixers for one more year, draining threes from the car park. With the assist from Rick Brunson, if possible.

Reply #237487 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

It must be about money & who they are chasing.

I thought Rillie was safe for sure.

The Crocs will sign some players now that will answer questions.

Can't wait to read his blog - i'm sure there will be a few expletives!

Reply #237493 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well put by JR there, I think he has showed class with his latest Blog entry and displayed why he has long been considered one of the good guys in the league. I for one hope he can find a place on a roster as an impact player off the bench and help to guide some young players before he makes the inevitable move into the post basketball phase of his life (give Joey a call we'll have you!) Good Luck JR!

Reply #237515 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

DEAR SOS, THANKYOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR.... JUST ANOTHER SMALL REQUEST THOUGH, PLEASE CALL JR AND BRING HIM BACK. HE IS A RESPECTED CROWD FAVORITE AND THE SORT OF PLAYER I WILL PAY TO COME AND SEE.
THANKS AGAIN.
ESP

Reply #237516 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Agreed- Bring back JR

Reply #237519 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

I dunno a club that wouldn't have him... oh wait...

Reply #237541 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

agreed bring him back and play the welcome back song upon his first minutes

Reply #237550 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Great player in his prime, and excellent person. One of the all time best characters in the league. But I would not have Rillie back. 3 years ago maybe.

Reply #237559 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I'm a bit surprised by both as well, thought they would be capable of another reasonable contribution for another year.

Reply #237578 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:41 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754