Anonymous
Years ago

Am I the only one feeling optimistic?

With Larry Sengstock in charge and already doing a great job so far, the Melbourne Tigers coming back, the possible/probable return of Brisbane and Sydney teams (and maybe Dragons) next year and a proper revamp, the fact there will be a decent TV deal and a naming rights sponsor from what I've heard and the fact that the NBL has got their act together enough that even McPeake has faith in the league now (that really is saying something).

I really do have faith in Larry and if McPeake is willing to be involved that is HUGE. Love him or hate him (I think I'll go with hate :) ) he knows how to run a business and would NOT take part if he didn't believe it wasn't going to be sustainable and successful. Although there is still along way to go, I'm feeling good about the future. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I only see things going north from here. If the league can fully revamp and have teams in ever major city plus a major naming right sponsor I think we see large TV contracts thrown our way including possibly free TV coverage on OneHD.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but all I'm saying is that if the NBL continues to run things the way they are now, and with Larry Sengstock continuing to do such a great job, the NBL will just get better and better over the next few years and return to being a quality and prosperous league. There are alot of positives happening and I see many more happening in the future.

That's my opinion anyway. Please post your opinion, that's what forums are for, just don't hate on me.

Topic #20022 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is good cause to be optimistic. The change to the governance structure was going to be extremely difficult and tough. This is the ideal result given the changes. I honestly thought there would be a season with no NBL.

The governance structure is great. Its now not run by owners but by independent governance who will make decisions for the good of the sport. The boomers and international australian basketball will come into greater prominance.

Again it is just a matter of time before a FIBA Asian League is setup. Watch the advertisers jump on board then!!! More advertisers = more tv coverage. SImple. More tv coverage = more marketing. More marketing = more crowds.

Reply #237462 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

well actually anon's the governance structure remains a major concern.

The plan was that BA would run the NBL. That was what much of the to-ing and fro-ing was about.

Now a commission runs the NBL - and its a five or seven person commission with the majority of places taken by club representatives which smacks just a little of....the past eh?

And I will continue to expound the view that it is ridiculously optimistic to suggest that an Asian league will be successful, strong or something we really want to be a part of...if it gets up and running. Only china, korea and japan have semi decent teams and competitions and they are a bloody long way away for a zonal league stucture.

we are 15-20 years off a structurally and competitively sound asian league, at least.

and the jury very much remains out on sengstock...he's done nothing but get agreement, based on a series of concessions (including the above mentioned commission) on what was meant to happen anyway.

Reply #237467 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I feel cautiously optimistic- the point I was trying to make with an earlier post was that you can't move forward without dealing with your past- forgetting your past isn't dealing with it.
I hope all entities concerned realise a valuable lesson and that there are professional and unprofessional ways to go about how they view and verbalise their thoughts on change.

Reply #237469 | Report this post

NBL in Guam  
Years ago

In terms of an Asian league being succesful, 4 teams in Southern Asia could really work, however not whereby the quality of talent is spread over more than that. One team in Guam, which is an american territory could take one of those spots and load the team with Americans.

In terms of the cost of travel/distances etc; conferences would obviously be the way to go in this instance whereby most travel is within your own conference, not equally amongst all teams.

By the way I just found out that Darwin's population almost doubles for the 4 months over the southern Winter due to tourism, going from 100,000 ppl to 180,000. This is another team which would be more suited to an Asian division due to proximity and could be loaded with mostly Australian talent. That leaves singapore, jakarta, hongkong, taipei KL, Manilla etc as possible other locations for franchises.

Reply #237533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I worry for the future of the game here in Australia. The salary cap is choking the life out of the sport with limited appeal publicly and reflects what we would like not what we have.
A consortium with so many heads will lead to issues and the comp is so lopsided as to be a concern from the start.
Too hasty , too lame and too expensive so many questions still have not been remedied just papered over.

Reply #237535 | Report this post

Schens  
Years ago

A consortium with so many heads will give us a much better chance to nut out the best possible way to do things, 1 man 1 opinion and look where we ended up

Reply #237646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is much to be optimistic about.

Clubs need to be responsible with the cap, and may I suggest that the spot light should be put fairly and squarely on the Breakers and the Tigers, to make sure they are playing by the rules.

Also, clubs need to put community engagement and marketing programs first, ahead of everything else..

"Do it and you will live, Do it not and everyone of you will die today" William Wallace

Reply #237753 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Future is looking good.
As many have noted in this and other posts, the new owners will ensure that the key "cornerstone" points to success are well grounded.

Reply #237762 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754