thedoctor
Years ago

Game 5 Orlando v Cavz **SPOILER**

Huge start by the Cavs, up 23 in the first. Equally big comeback by the Magic to get it back to six.

Mo having a massive start with 5 threes and some great PG play. Delonte also active early.

For the Magic, shots starting to drop now but haven't really played that badly. Same story as the otgher games - I'd be worried if I was a Cavs fan Orlando is the best team I've seen in a long time playing from behind.

Topic #20025 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

this is my thread, btw. the Ricky Grace alias was left over after my insanely funny post the other day

(Mod: How's that?)

Reply #237539 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Cavs up 1 at the half. Lewis and the Turk getting into the game. Cavs blow a 23 point lead after starting so well.

Reply #237543 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Shows the difference between Lakers minus Kobe, and Cavs minus LeBron, IMO. The old superstar-gets-the-other-players-more-involved trick is a viable option for the Lakers (cf. yesterday), but not so much for the Cavs. It's LeBron or bust. Cavs' lack of a genuine, quality PF is really hurting them too, which I think someone else said yesterday.

Reply #237554 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Theres a huge reason why the Cavs have done so poorly this series--They cant match up against the Magic.
Who do the Cavs use on Lewis?? Varejao is way too slow to guard him and won't like defending him all the way out on the 3-point line.
Who do the Cavs use on Howard?? He will just monster Big Z, with power AND strength.
Who do the Cavs use on Turkolgu? I haven't seen the series on TV, because they haven't shown it here in NZ, but who is marking Turkglu..Is Lebron guarding him or is he guarding Lewis? Turkoglu has size over West, Williams, Sczcerbiak

Furthermore, who do they put on Pietrus.? He is what..6"9. Can't use Varejao because he is much too slow and same thing with Lewis, he won't want to defend out beyond the free throw line.
Also, if they put a Sczerbiak or West on Peitrus, than he would just easily back both of them down to the post and go to work.

The Magic are such a unique team. I think they can beat the Lakers. They create funny matchups for other teams, Lakers might struggle guarding them one on one too. Fisher cant stick with Alston speed wise, Turkglou has 4 inches on Kobe, Howard is much more stronger and powerful than Gasol, Lewis and Odom is pretty even (Exciting matchup for sure), Courtney Lee would burn Walton anyday, Kobe is going to have his work cut out with Turkoglu, Lee and Peitrus probably sharing the defensive roles on him..Turkoglu has the size and experience(8 year veteran to defend him), Lee has the speed to defend him and Pietrus is the same height as Kobe and has the strength to prevent him from posting up and going to work.

Reply #237568 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

definitely - Varajeo and Wallace are basically there to foul Howard. That said, Wallace has been OK grabbing boards and creating second opportunities.

Reply #237570 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Cavs up by 11, less than a minute to go.

Reply #237579 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Cavs get the W

Reply #237582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wheres dcanwade with his conspiracy theories?? Howard fouls out with 2:22 to go in a potentially series ending game...

Reply #237590 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Watched the game - the fouls on Howard were all legit today. In fact if anything there were some very poor calls made against Big Z and to a lesser extent Varejao.

Big Z and Varejao both fouled out too so you can;t really say it was one way traffic against Howard and the Magic.

LeBron was special today. He took over the game and registsred a big triple double. At one point late in the 4th quarter, he was involved in something like 36 straight Cav's points scored, whether it was by his own hand or via an assist. Gibson stepped up big time in the last quarter also, nailing three triples of James' assists. Mo was also a lot better today - the first Cav's player other than James to score more than 20 points in this series.

Reply #237596 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

In one play Turk goes to the rim gets hammered by 3 Cavs players-no call, next play James goes to the rim, Howard's chest slight touch with James's chest-FOUL....! with 3 mins to go and Cavs up by 4 work that one out.

Here we go Lakers v Cavs Final, very sad.

Reply #237597 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Disagree with that version of events A...but each to their own.

I also recall that James went hard to the rim earlier in the 4th and appeared to have his arm ripped off - no call was made and it was on The King!

Whether we agree to disagree with a call, whether it was there, or not, not everything is called the way we see it or feel it should be called.

Reply #237598 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I've seen Cavs play with LeBron maybe 15 times in my life (thank you OneHD). This was the first time where he truly matched up with MJ's greatness. That last qtr, was magnificent. He was a machine, a Terminator. A brilliant performance.

Reply #237599 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

LC, I understand James has and will always get these calls, but it is so blatantly clear and obvious which teams are getting the favourable calls at the moment. I am not saying that the NBA are deciding the outcome of games but certain teams are getting auspicious calls, whilst other teams are not getting calls at all.

Reply #237604 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

A - I suppose you didn't see game 2 then? When LeBron was called for a dubious travel and had his basket waved away with scored tied and 30 seconds remaining?

Reply #237631 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'When LeBron was called for a dubious travel and had his basket waved away with scored tied and 30 seconds remaining?'

billo, for crying out loud, James took 'FIVE' steps in that call!

Reply #237654 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

On a side note - Does any NBA player not travel? If I tried to make any of their moves, even catching the ball I would get called for a travel. Can be frustrating to watch for a purist.

Reply #237658 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good to see the Cavs that are apparently in shambles getting the win. Also Mo Williams who is a joke and broken apparently having a good game! :P

Tomorrow's game 6 will be awesome to watch!

Reply #237681 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754