Isaac
Years ago

A shallow pool of NBL bigs

Might be slim pickings in the NBL this season when it comes to available centres. PerthNow has an article indicating that Alex Loughton, Matt Knight and Julian Khazzouh, all solid young prospects, are headed for Europe.

Rob Beveridge (former coach for the latter two, and hopeful coach of Loughton) thinks they might be making a mistake:

NEW Wildcats coach Rob Beveridge claims players are mistaken if they believe European leagues will provide better financial security than a revamped NBL.
Beveridge fired down his warning after 26-year-old Wildcats forward Alex Loughton confirmed he would leave the club to ply his trade in Europe.

Centre Julian Khazzouh and forward Matthew Knight, both of who played under Beveridge at the Sydney Spirit last season, also informed their former coach they were Europe-bound and would not join him at the Cats.
Full article

With Hinder signing with the Crocs, Vanderjagt with the Blaze, and Melmeth 'recently' retired, that likely leaves a pool of (and help with any I've missed):

Possible starters:
Schenscher (hoping for Europe or better)
Anstey
Burston
Tragardh
Crosswhite
B. Knight
Pepper
Rogers

Likely rotation/bench:
L. Davidson
M. Smith
Cooper
Johnson
Sturt
Behrendorff
Horvath
Rampton

If, for example, the Hawks lock up Tragardh and Davidson, and Schenscher goes OS, it might make things tricky.

However, the bad news in that article IMO is the Cats being close to getting Damian Martin who I thought could be a second priority after Adam Gibson for the 36ers. The pool of bigs might be evaporating, but it's little better when it comes to strong Australian PG prospects for the NBL.

What do you think?

Topic #20076 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

I was thinking that Khazzouh would go Europe, and Luke is going to be hard to replace, here.
Sturt - bench, as you say. But sure looks pretty good, when he gets on.

Reply #238192 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thats not looking good for the Sixers - especially since they can't start signing players until the lawyers get their sh!t sorted and transfer ownership from Mal to the SOS group.

Its looking like Schenscher or bust if guys like Khazzouh and Knight really go overseas. I'm not holding out hope for guys like Tragardh or Knight to leave the Hawks and Perth respectively either.

Doesn't leave much, unless Rick Rickert is available? Maybe back to the past with Horvath? Not the way to success!

Perhaps Nevill or Baynes from US college if they don't get drafted (unlikely)? I think they are both seniors.

I just hope it doesn't come to any of that because Luke is clearly the best option out there for the Sixers. I reckon its just about sign him or bust for season 09/10.

Reply #238194 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson (named above) Standing at 212cm tall, would be a great Signing for the Perth Wildcats. He just keeps getting better and better. Johnson was a WA Junior and born in Perth. So maybe he should be a player to try and Sign up?

Johnson has a pretty respectable basketball resume which includes:

- 2007 Australian u19 World Championship Team
- NCAA Div1 College Stint. (Pepperdine University)
- 2008 BigV Youth Player of the Year (with a 66point game)
- Currently Averages: 29.8ppg, 14.9rpg, 2.3apg. With a FG% of 56.0
- 2009 BigV Player Of The Week: 3 times already after Round 9

Surely Clubs (especially Perth) would have this bloke on their Radar?

Reply #238195 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

(That is of course, If the Tigers dont Resign him) They will be very keen to do so, and with obvious reasons. I do also know they rate this guy as a next Anstey. But he could be a good signing for any NBL club

Reply #238197 | Report this post

NBL in taipei  
Years ago

Why would beveridge say europe isn't as stable financially as australia?

If this is the case why have guys like markovich, nielsen, andersen have been there so long.

Iti and kickert are other guys who might be worth looking at from overseas.

Baynes has signed with a lithiuanian team, Nevill might be the only likely ncaa player in the nbl in the future.

By the way what has happened to 7ft 4 sam harris?

Reply #238201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would he say that? Because he's annoyed watching his top big and two alternative prospects look away from the NBL.

Reply #238203 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I think what he is saying tho, is if you are a bit player and not a star then you will be on some coin, but not top notch money...plus expenses...

we all know not all the players over there are on 500K plus right?

Reply #238206 | Report this post

NBL in taipei  
Years ago

After some research I have found that Sam Harris is playing in the Tassie league, pulling down a ton of boards and blocking tons of shots but not scoring much.

Reply #238209 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

Big 7'4" Sam Harris plays for North West Tasmania in the South East Australian Basketball League.

He is having his Best year yet, averaging:
16points, 11rebounds and 3 BLOCKS, per game!!

Reply #238214 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It's not that they aren't throwing the cash around it's how quickly guys who under perform get cut, even guys who perform get cut if better options become available.

Reply #238222 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

maybe nbl clubs need to focus a bit more on o/s centres,a big dean utoff type of player would be handy in the currant "undersized" nbl.
not sure what $ they would demand,but there must be plenty of them out there.
lets face it,they wouldnt have to be nba quality!!

Reply #238224 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Where's Dodman these days? Did he make a full time shift to football? With Gold Coast and West Sydney coming into the AFL, it's probably a good time to be a key position prospect.

Reply #238226 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson is going to be a very good big man in the newNBL.

As for Baynes and Nevill - Nevill may end up getting drafted late in second round but is likely to be able to score plenty of big $$$ offers in Europe. Baynes is likely to not get drafted but is likely to head to Europe as well.

Big guys who have college starting 5 experience and are proven rebounders/scorers will always get good cash in Europe.

Reply #238228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skull, it could be the hardest position to recruit when it comes to imports. Anyone with height and skills will play elsewhere. I think Cairns were lucky to get Chris Burgess, for example.

Reply #238229 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

lol at Dodman being a key position player - he struggled up and down a basketball court what will he be like on a football field

Reply #238231 | Report this post

Page  
Years ago

Dusty is a 4, but as we all know he can play as an undersized 5 and hold his own.
Would 36ers try to bring him back if Schenscher goes to Europe?

Reply #238233 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

isaac, do you know where burgess ended up ?

imo when teams are thinking about the 5 spot they need to be thinking 5 spot,not 4/5 as most nbl clubs do.
unfortunatly there seems to be an ubundance of 4/5's out there in nbl price range.

big luke's lower body strength,and his ability to achieve 'great' seals on opposing 5's is the only thing keeping him out of nba!!

Reply #238236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last I searched for Burgess (years ago) he was in an Asian league, I think.

There really are few options. You start with Anstey and Schenscher, then you have some solid guys like Hinder, Tragardh, etc and those three that are looking at Europe. Then some older guys that haven't had a heap of luck recently in Rampton and Pepper. Finally, kids like Johnson and Sturt who'll be stitched up at their existing clubs or are too young to start, and finally bit-part mercenaries like Smith, Coops and so on.

Clubs are going to be looking at rosters and potential recruits and thinking: "Is this a championship team? Will my bigs be able to defend a Schenscher or Anstey?"

Or it might be that the only tactic is to limit them in the paint and win in other ways - big rebounding PFs, or run and gun. I think Hinder is a good pick-up for the Crocs because of that.

Reply #238240 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'd be interested to know how many $$$ Aussies average for their first year in a top Euro league compared with the NBL? And how much has that altered in the last year with the financial crisis? Because Europe has been hit much harder than us and there must be a lot of teams that have had to to pull their heads in.

Also, hasn't the NBL cap gone up since last year? So perhaps it's not really a case of money if guys decide to leave - more a case of feeling there is better long-term prospects in Europe perhaps?

Reply #238259 | Report this post

BigNasty  
Years ago

I think if you can't get a big centre you have to look at a big physical forward, who while giving away a few inches can bang inside against the talls. Eg. Davis, Abney, Bolden, Moore, Simmons, Vic Titans player was it Moseley? etc.

Reply #238262 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

Guys with starting 5 expereince that are good scorers and rebounders don't make it big in europe. There are plenty of guys that score and rebound without a job.

Reply #238266 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

thats right MJ, we only here of the good stories, not the plenty of players out there trying to ply their trade...

Reply #238270 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i wonder if the style of play in the nbl will gradually change now goorj is not coaching dragons/boomers.
he had a huge influence on the way the nbl game was played,(like it or not)
all these aussie kids heading o/s, big nate jawai showed that you can get a half a crack from here,IF YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH.(now mr.brown is watching)

i think some of them are dreaming a bit,cant blame them for chasing the cheerleader type thing though,hopefully most of them will be back soon.

Reply #238276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has mentioned one A Petrie, brings alot to the table, will be sort after, hopefully he stays in the gong as well

Reply #238284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likelys: Hinder, Crosswhite, Van der Jagt, Burston, Horvath, Rampton, Rogers, Pepper, Anstey, Tragardh, Mottram, Harris, Rampton, Johnson, Davidson, Smith, Pledger, Behrendorff, Cooper, Sturt

Possibles: Schenscher, Knight, Khazzouh, Loughton, Kickert, Maric, Bradshaw, Nevill, Iti.

That's 29 players plus big imports, and teams really only need 2-3 bigs, so there will be more than enough to go around with only 8 teams. But if the likes of Schenscher and Knight don't return, there perhaps wont be the same quality as two years ago as when Pepper and Rogers were fit and firing, and Jawai and Bradshaw were in the league.

What Beveridge is talking about is the regularity with which players in Euro comps don't get paid what they are owed. It has happened in the NBL recently, but that is certainly the exception, and the $1mill bank guarantee certainly gives a decent amount of security for players.

There is also the issue of language in Europe, and some very strange coaches who simply sit good players on the bench for no particular reason other than they dont like them.

Certainly there are great opportunities in Europe, but players can be rolling the dice by going over there, particularly with many Euro economies in serious trouble.

As for Petrie, B Knight etc, I would not include them as bigs, rather as forwards.

Reply #238289 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Guarantee Bradshaw will not be back- he is now only interested in Europe for another season possibly two- the kid changes his mind more often than he changes girls and his underwear.
After trying to get a release from his contract in Spain after just one season, he's probably not the kind of guy a club would want to put their faith in anyway given the current instability going on everywhere- I would hate for him to screw around any more people than what he already has in the recent past.

Reply #238370 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess the thing is that there is even more uncertainty in Europe than usual, so we may see some blokes whose first preference is big Euros ending up back in Australia.

Reply #238464 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Exactly, but these guys ask for your thoughts then listen with only one ear open.
Whoever gets the last word in their ear is ultimately the winner!

Reply #238490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754